How often to weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    every day and i log it in an app called happy scale. daily fluctuations happen and suck, but this shows the overall trend.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'm the oddball once again! I weigh about every two weeks, sometimes longer!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm an even odder ball as I only weigh about every 6-8 weeks. It leaves me blissfully unaware of plateaus or stalls, as I am good at weighing and logging, and just have faith that if MFP says I am on track, then I am. I havent been disappointed yet.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm the type that for better or worse I want to know. On some level it's facing fear and nobody likes it. I'm too impatient to wait weeks if I need to correct something. So, I weigh and record daily.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Every other week on the scale at the Y, for the past 3 1/2 years.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Every day in the morning, nude, after elimination. I only record on Friday mornings tho and tend to eat higher calories on Friday and sometimes Saturday then get back with it on Sundays as far as my deficit is concerned:)
  • Denisa941
    Denisa941 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Every day :)
  • emsjay73
    emsjay73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Last year when I did my big weight loss (100 lb plus) I threw my scales away. I had no idea how much I weighed I just saw my clothes sizes getting smaller... It worked much better. This year now in down to the nitty gritty I obsess over them daily... But try to avoid it if I can to weekly. In fact writing this again has made me want to throw them away again, reduce the frustrations!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    Daily, first thing in the morning, and have done for years, even before trying to lose weight. I love data, and like understanding my daily fluctuations (that accumulated knowledge has been very valuable IMO during the weight loss process). But I'm pretty unflappable about random fluctuations; not everyone is calm about them, so not everyone should weigh daily.

I used to put my daily weight on graph paper (day on the x-axis, pounds on the y-axis). Now I use Libra (a weight trending app for Android). Others are Happy Scale (for iOS), Trendweight, etc. Like the web site someone referenced above, these use statistical weighted averages to estimate the overall trend/direction of your weight loss, beyond the random fluctuations. It's still an estimate, but a little bit smoother than the daily weights.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as well, as it gets me out of bed first thing and i know sometimes it will be up, sometimes down, and that's ok. I plateaued recently for 10 days with the same half pound going on, coming off, going on again. Now the scales are starting to move again, as I stuck with it. 0.2 lbs per day is nearly 1.5lbs per week which is a very healthy weight loss. :) I know it's a little upsetting when you start off with such big loses and expect them to continue, but don't get stressed about it. Weigh once a week in that case and aim for an pound any more is fab!
  • heathershaw4785
    heathershaw4785 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with some previous posters and weigh once a week. The daily fluctuations make me crazy!