Beer geeks?

Options

Replies

• milehighcritic
    Options
    I gave up my old drinking habits to loose the weight. I have an occasional beer now and then. Always a craft beer so I can enjoy it since I limit myself to 2. I really like IPA's. Stone is one of my favorites. I am also a big fan of New Belgium Brewery products.
    Colorado is one of the best states for a craft beer drinker.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I live in New Glarus, WI - home of New Glarus Brewery. They make beers w/ names like Spotted Cow, Totally Naked, Fat Squirrel, Road Slush, Cabin Fever...to name a few. Spotted Cow seems to be the most popular in the bars I've been to. Squirrel is their Nut Brown. Road Slush is too bitter for me. Cabin Fever is a honey bock. Totally Naked is what I'm drinking later - it's a lighter one - lager, I think. (I dunno.)

I just make sure it fits in with my calories for the day. If it doesn't, I wait for a time when it does.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love good beers, my favorites tend to be IPA's. My favorite of all time is Lenny's RIPA, made by He'brew(Schmaltz Brewing Company)

http://www.shmaltz.com/HEBREW/lennys.html

I haven't been able to find it around here for a while, which is disappointing.

Another favorite of mine is the Unearthly Imperial IPA from Southern Tier Brewery.

http://www.southerntierbrewing.com/for download page/downloads_unearthly.html

If you find either of these don't hesitate to try them.
  • fubar66
    fubar66 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi love my lager - I always save some calories every day so I can have a few at the weekend my tipple is Stella Artois or Holsten Pils (all the sugar turns to alcohol- quoting from the advert lol ) have had to readjust my calorie intake apparently Im not eating enough & system says I have lost weight to fast ?
    Recently quit smoking after 30 years and I piled the kilos on ,so far I have lost weight consistently for the last two weeks but my carb intake is to high any ideas appreciated ,im a new member only joined 2 weeks ago this is my 1st post -so be gentle Dave-- fubar66 --
  • myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, New Glarus beer, the best. I LOVE Spotted Cow, I'm a Wisconsinite now (originally from Michigan!! YAY Michigan) so I know what you are talking about...I save calories to have room for some cocktails and beer but try to avoid it as much as I can.(it is very hard)..but I do sip on the weekends :drinker:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, New Glarus beer, the best. I LOVE Spotted Cow, I'm a Wisconsinite now (originally from Michigan!! YAY Michigan) so I know what you are talking about...I save calories to have room for some cocktails and beer but try to avoid it as much as I can.(it is very hard)..but I do sip on the weekends :drinker:

Too funny - I used to live in Michigan too! High school in Ann Arbor, college in Alma while living in Grand Rapids. :laugh:

New Glarus also had Back 40 Bock which was REALLY yummy - their winter seasonal - but alas, I can't get it in summer. I can never remember the name of their red one but it's also good.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    HUGE beer geek! Wino's slosh and spit and smell.... I chug, and chug, and chug. But I love trying all new microbrews and really try to taste every new beer I see on tap. Typically I work my day around my beers... Want to pound a 6-pack? I get my run and lifting in before and watch my food intake. :)
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Im just starting this whole eating right thing, but I REALLY! love the taste of beer. Any beer! This is gonn be tough. Anyone know what a "heathy" beer is?
    Coors light is 100 cals

My go to light beer is Guinness draught. It's not my favorite - but it's only 126 calories and it sure beats Coors Light.... :drinker:
    mmmm coors is my fave :) although I have only ever tried a few beers, why mess with a good thing ? hehehe
  • Bartleyk11
    Bartleyk11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love good beers, my favorites tend to be IPA's. My favorite of all time is Lenny's RIPA, made by He'brew(Schmaltz Brewing Company)

http://www.shmaltz.com/HEBREW/lennys.html

I haven't been able to find it around here for a while, which is disappointing.

Another favorite of mine is the Unearthly Imperial IPA from Southern Tier Brewery.

http://www.southerntierbrewing.com/for download page/downloads_unearthly.html

If you find either of these don't hesitate to try them.

I'm an IPA drinker also. I've had Unearthly and very much enjoyed it. Haven't tried Lenny's RIPA yet - but it's on my list. My faves are Hopslam, Two Hearted, Mad Hatter, Racer 5, Founder's Centennial, Avery Maharaja, DFH 90 Minute, Kuhnhenn 4D.
  • Bartleyk11
    Bartleyk11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HUGE beer geek! Wino's slosh and spit and smell.... I chug, and chug, and chug. But I love trying all new microbrews and really try to taste every new beer I see on tap. Typically I work my day around my beers... Want to pound a 6-pack? I get my run and lifting in before and watch my food intake. :)

I plan my days (and vacations) around beer, if my wife will let me get away with it..

You and I could have a lot of fun at a couple of bars I like around here. :happy:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I live in the "Napa Valley" of beer - Fort Collins, CO (home of New Belgium). We have some of the best beer on the planet here. I'm losing weight with Metabolic Research Center, and beer is a pretty big no-no with them. I've been on program for a few weeks now and I'm JONESIN'!!!
    I see it as even more of a motivation for me - the sooner I make my goal, the sooner I can have a celebratory 1554!!!

I'm from England. You want to discuss that statement about the best beer on the planet with me outside? :grumble: :devil:
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I plan my days (and vacations) around beer, if my wife will let me get away with it..

You and I could have a lot of fun at a couple of bars I like around here. :happy:

YES! :bigsmile: :drinker:
    Even in our household budget, I have a line item set aside for my beers. :bigsmile:
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am a total beer snob and love nothing more than a cold beer on a summer night. Paulner and Flying Dog are my two favorite brewries, but Avery, Odell, Tommyknocker and the like are all great. I've lost about 15 lbs since starting my journey. I have cut drastically back on my beer consumption but have had a few since starting my journing a month and a half ago. It's all about moderation.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I live in the "Napa Valley" of beer - Fort Collins, CO (home of New Belgium). We have some of the best beer on the planet here. I'm losing weight with Metabolic Research Center, and beer is a pretty big no-no with them. I've been on program for a few weeks now and I'm JONESIN'!!!
    I see it as even more of a motivation for me - the sooner I make my goal, the sooner I can have a celebratory 1554!!!

I'm from England. You want to discuss that statement about the best beer on the planet with me outside? :grumble: :devil:

This person is right... Colorado has some pretty fantastic beers. "Some of the best" does not imply other places don't have good ones too. But we like our beers really cold here ;)
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    My favorites are mostly Michigan beers -

Founders
    Bells
    Shorts
    New Holland
    Dark Horse

But I love beers from all over the country and world.

Bear Republic just recently started distributing here. I'm really loving Hop Rod Rye, Racer 5 and Red Rocket :)

If I go over my calories for the day, it is usually because I couldn't resist another beer. The good ones all seem to weigh in at about 200 calories per bottle....

I'm from MI and I must say that we've got some of the best beers around!! I'm not a huge drinker but I do enjoy a solid beer here and there. However, relating to posts above I haven't drank anything "good" since I've been on MFP. I only drink light beers from time to time and they're definitely not as tasty as the real thing... I'm thinking I might treat myself to a legit cold one after my race tomorrow though!!:)
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Awww....damn...now I want a beer! I'm a HUGE fan of amber/red ales. But since I started my journey(for a lack of better words) I am seriously cut back on the beer intake. Not that I was a raging alcoholic or anything before hand. I just have to seriously think about whether or not I did something active enough during the day to warrant having a beer.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I drink too much to be fussy.

A shout out for those that do quantity over quality! :drinker:
  • nocoretro
    nocoretro Posts: 6
    Options

We have SOME of the best beer on the planet. Just some. My particular favorites actually happen to come from England, Ireland and Germany. Of course I much prefer to imbibe when I am IN said locale.
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    I drink too much to be fussy.

A shout out for those that do quantity over quality! :drinker:
    I'm kinda with this guy I think, I dont drink skunk water from underneath some pickup truck, but I dont drink the top tier either.

Dont drink much at all but when I do, I dont care what it is xD
  • lisadhancock
    lisadhancock Posts: 103
    Options
    I love craft beer. I live in Northern Colorado and there are 9 breweries with in 20 minutes of where I live!!! I usually save some calories for a good beer or two at the end of a day!!