Question from a Newbie (5K)

Options
Hi folks. Quick summary. 6'1" 60 year old male. Started diet and fast walking about 6 weeks ago. Doing 3 miles e/night; dropped weight from 257 to 225 and dropped my times from a 20.5 min per mile pace when I started to a PR today of 14:12 per mile for the 3 miles in 89 degree heat on blacktop roads. So here's the question:

What pace do I need to reach to be able to enter my 1st 5k run/walk? Something on a local level. I don't want to embarrass myself and I don't want to clog up the course. Basically I'm at a 43 min pace now for 5k; I'm thinking even in my age group I need to get that under a 35 min time to not be a burden to other runners?

Any thoughts welcomed and Blessings! JT

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Every 5k I've ever done accepts walkers. My slowest time was nearly an hour, and there were still people finishing after me. Oftentimes, there would be parents with strollers or people in wheelchairs; I've even seen people walking their dogs. When I started out, I had the goal of not coming in last. Every 5k since, the goal is to decrease my time. So, long story short, I say go for it! :)
  • prairieprayerpartners
    prairieprayerpartners Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like what you're saying. Funny, I had that same thought: "Lord, just don't let me finish last!" Going to try get my nightly distance up to 3.5-4 mi and get the pace down to 13 per min. If I can get there within a couple of weeks, I might just enter a July 4th run/walk fairly nearby. Thanks for your input and have a great night.
  • Firedrake2001
    Firedrake2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've run in two local 5Ks so far. I ran the first in 34:38 and the second in 33:19. In both races I finished before over 50% of the participants. This fits well with what some other people told me - a 12 min/mile pace will put you in about the middle of the pack for a 5K.

In both the races there were people who finished in about an hour (possibly more).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If your getting close to 90 minutes, you might run into a problem with the course opening up to traffic.

At a random local race last weekend: 341 people entered. Slowest was 59:02. They were 9. They were 5 minutes slower than the last. It was otherwise a steady stream of finishers from 15 minutes to 54 minutes. 43:00 would have made you 305th finisher
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I suggest you have a look for a local race then see if the results from last year are on line. That way you can be reassured about the range of times, for most races I'm sure you'd be fine, there are very likely to be people finishing well after you. Or ask the organisers if the have a cut-off.

And you know, while I really don't want to be the last one over the line, that's not a good reason to not enter a race. I met a great guy at new year when I ran the Cursa del Nassos 10k in Barcelona - he would probably be older than you, and I think he had finished last the year before, but was back again and managed not-quite-last this time!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes! :) and good luck!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I like what you're saying. Funny, I had that same thought: "Lord, just don't let me finish last!" Going to try get my nightly distance up to 3.5-4 mi and get the pace down to 13 per min. If I can get there within a couple of weeks, I might just enter a July 4th run/walk fairly nearby. Thanks for your input and have a great night.

Just do the race anyway. If it is local, study the route and even walk the route if you can. There is always going to be someone slower than you on race day.. I will be 48 years old in a couple of months and thought I would never stand up to any one in my age group.. You got this!

You will get some really great experience for your first race, and I swear I run better with butterflies in my stomach on race day!

Do let us know how you do!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. Quick summary. 6'1" 60 year old male. Started diet and fast walking about 6 weeks ago. Doing 3 miles e/night; dropped weight from 257 to 225 and dropped my times from a 20.5 min per mile pace when I started to a PR today of 14:12 per mile for the 3 miles in 89 degree heat on blacktop roads. So here's the question:

What pace do I need to reach to be able to enter my 1st 5k run/walk? Something on a local level. I don't want to embarrass myself and I don't want to clog up the course. Basically I'm at a 43 min pace now for 5k; I'm thinking even in my age group I need to get that under a 35 min time to not be a burden to other runners?

Oh geeze you're fine! These local 5Ks have so many participants - runners, walkers, people with strollers, people with little kids, etc., and there are so many different TYPES of participants - young, old, inbetween - and they're a lot of fun and no one cares how slow or fast anyone is.

Just do it, you'll love it!
  • thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're going to do great. Even most of the people who enter to "race" will provide encouragement as they know you're there the same reason they are, which is to challenge yourself. And to give you a frame of reference, I like to say I'm part of the "reluctant runners club" and I'm currently around a 8:40/mile pace which I thought was pretty good, I signed up for the Global 5K with Runkeeper and that put me in the 20th percentile which served me a slice of humble pie and made me remember that it's more about how I've improved my personal time over the last three years.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    do it.

Have you looked into moving onto a couch to 5k-type programme? Given you are walking pretty swiftly anyway, this will help you to make the transition (although you may find that you end up 'running' slower than your current 'walking' pace). At some point you may find that fast walking doesn't get you as fast as you want to be, and following a structured programme can help with the run/walk regime.

you're doing great so far!!
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you have to crawl it! I have done 3 5ks and I have walked each one of them!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you're walking (or run/walking) 5K in 43 minutes already then it sounds like you're ideally placed to consider C25K. I did it in 2014 - prior to that I was also walking 3 miles in about the same time as you and after completing the 8 week C25K programme I was able to run 5K non-stop in around 34 minutes or so (and 3 months later I'd reduced that to 28 minutes).
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    JT -

I'm guessing your improved times will come along the line of technique. If I may make a couple suggestions:
    1. Try 50 meters of high knee lifts, then walk back. Do 4-5 sets, then run. You'll feel a difference. Try to carry that form as far as you can during your run.
    2. Intervals - set a target time (say 7.30 / mile). That'll get you to 21 minutes for the 5k. Break down that 7.30 / mile into, say quarter mile intervals. Run those quarter mile intervals at your target rate, then jog a quarter mile - lather, rinse and repeat for as many as you can without trashing your form. You WILL gradually increase from doing, say 5-6 sets to 7-8, then 10-12, etc.
    3. On your off-run days, strength train - especially your core. Planks, burpees, goblet squats are good places to start.

PS - I recently turned 60, so I know what a struggle reducing your run times can be, but it CAN BE DONE. It's a matter of will vs won't.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    OH - and when you enter your first race, don't start too fast. You'll burn out with nothing at the end. Build into your race pace as the run progresses. Some good jams help. I was in the military, so I use running cadences. To each his / her own that way. Point is, get and maintain a rhythm during your runs and voila ! Mission accomplished.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

You are there. A 43 minute 5K will not embarrass you.

As for blocking the course, start at the back of the pack at the starting line, your time will start when the chip in your bib cross the line, don't walk more than two abreast (unless there is plenty of room for someone to get around you), and keep a reasonably straight path staying out of faster runners/walkers way. You'll be fine. Enjoy the festivities.
  • prairieprayerpartners
    prairieprayerpartners Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. And to Raptor 2763 ... trust me...your left...your left...left, right, left is constantly in my brain...lol. As for a target time of 7:30, wow...if I got to 10.00 I just might be insufferable. :)
  • raccoon3
    raccoon3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just did a 5K about a week ago - had a time of 44:18 and there were still a few people behind me :) As a slow, beginning runner, I've found that other runners, even the really fast ones, tend to be super supportive of everyone. I got lots of high 5's and cheers from runners who had finished long before me as I headed towards the finish line.
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yep! I do many races -- you'll do GREAT!
    And geez, congrats on the fast wt loss and huge improvement in time! You've REALLY done well these last 6wks. Super impressive.

Your time, as it is right now? You'll "beat" A LOT of people. Trust me haha
    That's not your goal I'm sure, but you won't be a burden, you won't be "last" (even if you were, who cares) and what you'll gain is doing something new and you'll probably meet a lot of new people.

I always enjoy these things.

Good luck - hope you do it! :)
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I've been the last one to finish!

Go for it, have a good time!