still so confused on what macro breakdown to use to lose weight...... help

Options
need help figuring out the right break down just wanna lose 1-2 pounds per week. I have 60 - 80 pounds to lose.

help please

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Any macro breakdown you want. I'm losing on 10%carb/30%protein/60%fat, but some people find it easier to eat more carbs than that.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest 50%c/25%p/25% fat as a starting point. But the macro breakdown doesn't matter as much as the total calories.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Don't let macros trip you up. They don't matter for weight loss. For now, focus on calories, and as you go you can decide which macros to increase or decrease depending on how you feel.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Macros don't directly affect weight loss. They can affect satiety, but that's really individual, you've got to find what works for you.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Don't let macros trip you up. They don't matter for weight loss. For now, focus on calories, and as you go you can decide which macros to increase or decrease depending on how you feel.

THIS.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yeah yeah macros are like OT Level VIII don't worry about them yet, I lost all my initial weight using the MFP defaults before I started playing with them (30C-35F-35P). It does add another element of fun if, like me, you treat MFP as an open world video game where your survival depends on keeping the numbers green.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    This isn't necessarily what you asked, but I'm going to say it anyway because I feel like it would've helped me in the beginning if someone had told me this: If I were you, I'd focus on the amount of calories I need to be eating in a day, first, and then worry about macros a little later after I've gotten into a good routine. I found that focusing on too many other things (i.e. trying to have the perfect, "clean" diet and only eating "good" foods) was causing me to feel overwhelmed and like a failure, which, in turn, caused me to get off track.

Stick to eating in a caloric deficit and you'll start to lose (I promise), and then (in a few months after you've gotten into the swing of things) you can tweak you macros if you feel the need to do so. Good luck!

And this!
  • cjjh123
    cjjh123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    so its still possible to lose 2 pounds a week on 160 -180 grams of carbs 60 -70 grams of fat and about 100-120 protein

I eat about 1500 -1700 a day in calories
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's the beauty of my fitness pal. It tells me what to eat. I can't do the macro thing. It's just too overwhelming for me
  • cjjh123
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • WBB55
    Options
    cjjh123 wrote: »
    so its still possible to lose 2 pounds a week on 160 -180 grams of carbs 60 -70 grams of fat and about 100-120 protein

I eat about 1500 -1700 a day in calories

Depends. Is your TDEE 2500-2700? Mine isn't, but I don't know your stats.
  • cjjh123
    Options
    My tdee is 2200
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    yeah yeah macros are like OT Level VIII don't worry about them yet, I lost all my initial weight using the MFP defaults before I started playing with them (30C-35F-35P). It does add another element of fun if, like me, you treat MFP as an open world video game where your survival depends on keeping the numbers green.

I wish everything about life could be explained to me in this way.
  • WBB55
    Options
    cjjh123 wrote: »
    My tdee is 2200

Well, here's the thing. 180g carbs + 120g protein + 70g fat = 1830 calories. If your TDEE really is 2200, you'd lose slightly less than a pound per week.

Focus more on the overall calories. But try to make sure you're getting enough fat and protein. If you do, most people find it easier to stick to a deficit.