Mommy Makeover/Tummy Tuck

Options
Hey guys!

I have about 116 pounds left to lose, and because I've been heavy my entire life, I'm already planning for/anticipating having to have surgery to remove that excess skin.

I understand that I don't know what my body will look like after the weight is lost, but I am a planner, so I have to know all of my options.

I'm just looking to find out information from others who have already gone through this experience. What was the recovery process like for you? How long until you felt back to normal? Are you happy with your results? What's the best/worst part of the entire experience?

Replies

• coachb2016
    coachb2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have never surgery but i think losing the weight on your own is a healthy way to go. Many people find success with team beachbody programs. They have programs for all fitness levels and they can give great results as well as overall health benefits. Let me know if you are interested
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I've lost 90 lbs and have 4 kids. Yes I have stretch marks and loose skin but I've been happily wearing a bikini this summer so I don't think it's that bad!!

I've heard the surgery is pretty painful to recover from. :/
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to research it now so I haven't been through it. I'm about 20 pounds from where I want my goal weight to be - and still have quite a chunky stomach/abdomen. the rest of me is a size 16 (down from a 22/24), tight and toned. It will make me feel better about myself -- and maybe I'll be confident enough to get into a bikini ;) For the record, I'm 52, had 3 kids.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I plan to get a mini tummy tuck cause having 2 big babies, being short and carrying all out in front has stretched my stomach and I have the "mom apron" on the lower half. It'll probably hurt and it's definitely not a fun recovery (you have to get a drain put in, bleck!) but I think it'll be worth it.
    Oh and I'm 5'3, I got to 200 with both babies when I was at my due date so sw would be around 185, current is 171, and goal is around 130-140. Once I hit my goal is when I'll go for the surgery.
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I want one too after I've lost 100lbs+ but hearing how horrible the recovery process is, is making me not want to do it ever. I have never worn a two piece bathing suit in my entire 29 yrs of life and oh how i wish to be in one at least once in my life but unfortunately i know i can't be with my loose tummy skin dangeling about. Ugh!
  • shariyahinton
    shariyahinton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ive been researching the procedure too just in case I have excess skin. I still have about 60 pounds to lose. Browse realself.com
    Lots of info and reviews
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Not me, but my co-worker did this and it changed my mind about plastic surgery in general. She had delicate skin with bad elasticity so it didn't bounce back after pregnancy and weight gain/loss. She showed me her belly and it was droopy droopy, a thousand times worse than mine though she was 10 years younger than me and had had only one baby, and her breasts were like empty bags.

They borrowed money to do the surgery, it cost as much as a new car! She had tummy tuck and breast lift and it was an amazing transformation absolutely worth the cost and brutal surgery and recovery. Her boobs were as perky as fake ones, her belly was smooth and the scar was about like a c-section scar, a little longer than that but the surgeon was extremely skilled and the scar was just a thin line. She wasn't skinny so there was more to work with, I think, in the end her waist was small, hips bigger, boobs as mentioned full and firm.

I'd say give your skin some time to recover first, stay at your weight 2-3 years, it shrinks some by itself, and may bounce back fine, think about how most ladies recover from pregnancy without blowing up the bellies, skin is often able to recover, and you'd save the money and pain and downtime. If you are still not happy, heck yes, I have seen the results of this surgery and think it is wonderful and transformative, the most bang for your buck in terms of plastic surgery.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Agree with checking out realself.com and checking in with multiple surgeons. Chances are fair that you will be best served traveling to a doctor that deals with patients that have had massive weight loss; not a super common specialty.

It can be an awful lot of money.

And agree that it may not be as bad as you think. Varies a lot by person. Also it is hard to say now which areas will be more of a problem/priority for you.
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My friend got a tummy tuck and breast augmentation (which included a lift) for $14k. She didn't have a lot of extra skin, tho. Just post-baby belly. She didn't complain too much about pain, but she's stoic, so hard to tell.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck with diastasis repair 2.5 years ago. I was off work two weeks. It wasn't miserable. Totally worth it. There are a lot of reviews (including my own) on Real Self.

I had twins and my stomach never recovered.