Strenght training for pole dancing

Options
S4ny4
S4ny4 Posts: 4 Member
So, I want to learn pole dancing. o:)
I have about 5kg to lose, but I'm fairly fit, flexibile, and not weak (I do yoga).

Problem is, I don't think I'm strong enough so I want to start with strenght training at gym. Since I live in a small town, there are not many good trainers here (and I couldn't tell if someone was), so I need any help I can get here to create training program for myself.

First, I need strenght gain with minimum muscle gain --> yes, I know it's hard for women to gain mass, and I'm also vegetarian and eat in slight deficit, but I read that for this I should lift heavy and have low reps (1-5). Is that true? And what that really means? 1-5 reps, how many sets? Should I do pull-ups and chin-ups etc? Do I do sets of same exercises one after another, or do I mix? Rest between sets?

I plan to have 3 trainings per week, low impact cardio in between, and one rest day. Is that all right? I've read that cardio is not good for gaining strenght. In fact, I've read a lot, but still don't know more than I knew, I'm just confused.

I would really appreciate any help, suggestion, or if you can point me to some free online strenght program you think would suits my needs.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• duguth
    duguth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my humble experience, the best way to get in shape for a specific activity or sport is to start doing that sport. If you want to pole dance, I say start pole dancing. Why do exercises that simulate an activity when you can just do that activity? Overall, nothing is going to get you in pole dancing shape better than pole dancing. Once you get started, if you find yourself continuously stuck on something and unable to progress because of some specific weakness, THEN is the time to start cross-training to address any deficits. That's my 2 cents.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i think pole dancing training would be in the high rep zones, lots of upperbody training, but in the high rep endurance range. 10-15 reps, to stay lean and agile. But if you just start pole dancing classes, and then add in some cardio and full body workouts, you'll figure out over time what and how your body needs to train. and you can add that to your gym routines. Pole dancers have rock solid cores, so i'm sure core work will benefit you.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Bodyweight fitness is important. You can work up to advanced maneuvers like chin/pull ups, L-sits, dragon flags, etc. While these are not pole dancing moves, the mastery of bodyweight movements will carry over greatly. Here is an excellent bodyweight program (note, you require a pull up bar and parallettes for bodyweight row / dips)

Women build muscle 3x slower than men due to lack of testosterone - lifting will not make you 'big and bulky' like the stereotype is. Just lift, eat at a surplus to build muscle (and some fat) or go on a cut to lose fat and have slow muscle gains. i.e. TDEE +250 for a slow bulk of +2lbs per month, or TDEE-250 calories for a cut of -2lbs per month (or maintain weight if you are losing fat and building muscle. women-who-lift-weights-will-bulk.jpg

The women on the left all take steroids, testosterone to be exact with possibly other compounds. The women on the right is achievable naturally.

A woman like this uses a steroid called Anavar. Basically if you avoid steroids, lift frequently, and eat right (bulk and cut depending on goals), you will get the strength and body you want (i.e. women on the right)!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Rather than setting up your own program, use a structured beginner's program like Stronglifts 5X5 or Strong Curves. I used Stronglifts until I moved on to an intermediate program. Loved it. You can check it out at stronglifts.com, and download the app to track your progress at the gym. Since you have no trainer available, the website also shows how to do each of the five lifts correctly.

Good luck!
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to watch dancers interview and practice in Vegas. Sure, there's some strength involved but there's a lot technique too. Any type of fitness will help. And, obviously the lighter and stronger you are makes pole dancing that much easier...just like in gymnastics. If possible, join a class or get with someone that has experience to learn the tricks of the pole;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do both.
    No reason to delay one for the other. Both can be done at the same time.
  • S4ny4
    Options
    Thanks for all replies. I decided to go with Stronglifts 5x5 for now and see how it goes.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi ive just started pole and you need a really strong core! We also do tricep dips, squats, lunges and cardio in our warm up as well as stretches :)
    You do end up with lots of bruises and pole burn from practice though, but this goes with time. It's a good work out and can really make you ache!

I've also been lifting for a while now following strong lifts 5x5 so I have relatively good arm and leg strength.

Have fun! The sessions are great :)
  • S4ny4
    Options
    Hi ive just started pole and you need a really strong core! We also do tricep dips, squats, lunges and cardio in our warm up as well as stretches :)
    You do end up with lots of bruises and pole burn from practice though, but this goes with time. It's a good work out and can really make you ache!

I've also been lifting for a while now following strong lifts 5x5 so I have relatively good arm and leg strength.

So, Stronglifts 5x5 is a good choice?

I don't mind a few bruises here and there, I actually like them, don't ask why. :)

I live in a small town in a patriarchal country, so this will be fun in more than one way. :)
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You will be totally ok to start pole dancing right now! I took classes, and while I was more fit and strong than most of the ladies in the class, they were better than me, becaause a lot of it is technique! And I'm not coordinated, so I was terrible at it! Lol! But it is so fun!
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    S4ny4 wrote: »

So, Stronglifts 5x5 is a good choice?

I don't mind a few bruises here and there, I actually like them, don't ask why. :)

I live in a small town in a patriarchal country, so this will be fun in more than one way. :)

Yeah I really enjoy strong lifts 5x5 :) and I like how it pushes me to progress and try new weight :)

Pole is really fun :) after our 6th session we get a photo shoot with a local photographer to show off some moves. I used to hate my body but I'm really looking forward to this!