mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    good luck

quit three years ago. used an e cig for 2weeks to help
    husband quit cold turkey
  • Kaeleana
    Kaeleana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 1 year, 2mths & 2 days ago after smoking for 29 years. I quit by relying on an e-smoke for approx 2 mths but in that time weaned myself off of it too. I religiously smoked a pack of 20 Canadian cigs a day & loved it! I loved the social aspect of it, lived my beer & smoke too. They went hand in hand as did coffee. However I did not love how it made me cough, how I was always short of breath & smelled bad. But especially the fear of the "C" word & Heart failure is what made me wake up & quit one day. You will get to that point some day too. If you want some support feel free to add me as a friend, I will help any way I can.
  • Fitnessdad79
    Fitnessdad79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've tried the gum, I've tried patches. Literally the only thing that has worked for me was quitting cold. Its been a year now, and I'm not going to lie, sometimes I feel like reaching for one. I just have to keep telling myself no. I feel better and breathe better, so its great! Bless all on your journeys, I know its not easy to do.
  • SamGoingHam
    SamGoingHam Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Former dipper. Best advice would be to workout hard. Spend your money on food so you got nothing for smokes Lol. In all seriousness, I try to stay stress-free and always doing something productive to keep my mind of needing it.
  • rivche1979
    rivche1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My weight and my smoking have always been my two struggles that I can never seem to conquer at once. If I'm trying to diet I've compensated by smoking more. If I'm quitting smoking, I let myself gain weight to focus on being nicotine-free. In the last 5 years I've gained 80 pounds doing this yo-yo (plus a pregnancy with DD 4 years ago) and I still smoke if drinking. I need to do a total health makeover where I gain some control over both issues AT THE SAME TIME.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Smoked a pack a day for 22 years. On my birthday 3 years ago next month I smoked my last cigar and haven't had a drag since. Cold turkey. After many half hearted attempts over the years with gum,patches etc. Read that book by Alan Carr and that was that.
  • Gadgetman74
    Gadgetman74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've given up for 18 months, but been using a Ecig for 5 years...I feel like I'm addicted to them now lol.
    About a month ago I ditched the nicotine..but I'm struggling on zero nicotine but I'm hanging in there lol
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Smoked for half my life. Smoke free for 3 years now (actually 3 years tomorrow). Quit cold turkey. Tried everything from pills and gum to patches and ecigs but cold turkey was the way that did it for me finally. Best thing I ever did and never want one now. :)
  • kymberkaye
    kymberkaye Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ive tried quitting recently with patches. However, when I got home from work, I would smell it on my hubby and want one. I used to have a beautiful singing voice. Not so much anymore...now I sing bass. Lol jk. I called my doc last week and asked for chantix. Picking it up today. And i joined the choir at church....i want to sing again.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I smoked for TEN years. I quit for TEN years and then started smoking again when I was divorcing. Smoked another THREE years and am now ONE year smoke FREE! Hang in there you can do anything you put your mind to!
  • Barrett9835
    Barrett9835 Posts: 134 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I smoked for 20 years...2 1/2 years ago I quit smoking and switched to an electronic cig....then 1 month ago on May 10th I quit using the electronic cig and now I use a 7 mg patch. Since May 10th I have lost 5 lbs. My method is a long process but it is what works for me, I have tried so many times before and failed, I feel like I finally am in control, I know very soon I will have to stop the patch but for now this is me....7 mg patch and 5 lbs lighter!! Good luck on your journey and add me as a friend if you would like!!

I have found that if I log all my food into MFP at the start of each day then I only eat what I logged, this helps me from over eating...I also taught myself to knit....scarfs, hats and blankets for everyone!!
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    After decades of pack a day, I became a non-smoker over night with no cravings, no urges, no subsequent weight gain and no regrets. I owe it all to Allen Carr's book, Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It puts to rest all the lies you've been told about why you smoke and why it is so hard to stop. In case you would like to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465820930&sr=8-1&keywords=Easy+Way+to+Stop+Smoking
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I quit in 1992 - the day I brought my baby son home.
    He's grown up into a fit and healthy non-smoker. That was all the motivation I needed.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I was a long time smoker and woke up one day and quit....cold turkey. That was 5 1/2 years ago. I gained a bunch of weight, that's why I am here. I love the lifestyle that I am living now, I love the taste of food, I am addicted to exercise!! It can be done!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I used an e-cig to help me quit. I still smoked cigs when I started using an e-cig, but the taste of the e-cig was SO MUCH BETTER I just quit smoking cigs all together. Eventually the messiness of e-cigs got on my nerves and now I don't smoke at all, and have no desire to.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey...... I took up boxing that helped greatly

I smoked for TEN years. I quit for TEN years and then started smoking again when I was divorcing. Smoked another THREE years and am now ONE year smoke FREE! Hang in there you can do anything you put your mind to!

Right there with you lady .... going on 2 years smoke free....it is hard
  • kymberkaye
    kymberkaye Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    After decades of pack a day, I became a non-smoker over night with no cravings, no urges, no subsequent weight gain and no regrets. I owe it all to Allen Carr's book, Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It puts to rest all the lies you've been told about why you smoke and why it is so hard to stop. In case you would like to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465820930&sr=8-1&keywords=Easy+Way+to+Stop+Smoking

Thanks for sharing this info!! I just bought the book!
  • Jim_i25
    Jim_i25 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    On e-cig for over 2 years and haven't touched a "stinky" since. Best thing I have done for sure.
  • LadyClaire86
    LadyClaire86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hiya I'm a ex smoker it will be 4 years on November. It was hard. I had a really bad chest infection which made me give up. After I gave up on put on weight substitution ciggies with biscuits.
  • mattb714
    mattb714 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I quit cigarettes about 3 years ago. Picked up an e-cig habit about a year after that. Was using an e-cig for about a year then quit that cold turkey 3 months ago. The cravings are pretty much gone now. Although, when I get a whiff of a freshly lit cigarette, it still smells heavenly.

Feel free to add me