How many days do you RUN a wk?

Options
I have been running for about a year now, roughly 3x a week sometimes 4x. I finally made it to completing a 50 minute run this week. I would like to try to run more, but I don't want to hurt myself. How many days do you run a week, how long and how far do you run each day and is it outdoors or on the treadmill. I was thinking maybe I could do 50min (which is 4miles for me) then maybe 30 min, 20min a break day then 50min again 30 and 20. Does this seem reasonable?

Replies

• mel_issa1717
    mel_issa1717 Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just started running again and I'm doing 4 times a week. When I used to run a lot I'd do a short run like 3km almost every day then a really long one on the weekend then a rest day. See how your body feels don't overdo it and have fun!
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm still in the walking/jogging phase, but recently I've gotten to about 2-4 times a week. I'm doing a 5K a week challenge for myself, going on a charity 5K every Saturday morning to make it a real habit.

My non-5K time is usually between 15 and 30 minutes, only because for a long time I had cardio problems and my legs are still getting used to the increase in work. I hope to get to the point of doing at least 45 minutes 3 times a week at around 3-4 mph.

I recently created a 5K walkers and runners group, and we have a few members who could probably answer your question much more specifically if you'd like to repost your question there: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114532-5k-walkers-and-runners
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    4 days
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Around 2 times a week. I use to go around 4, but now I'm not focusing on running endurance but weight lifting and circuit training. I found when I was running a lot I was losing my booty (jeans noticeably loser in bum area), so now I want to build that muscle more. Running is a wonderful endurance cardio exercise, but right now it's not my main focus :smile:
  • sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can run every day if you run properly - I'm not an expert, I read this but then it was true for me during training.

Don't go for a PB every day, don't do intervals or tempo runs every day, make sure you recover - which you can do with slow runs (<70% of max HR).

I followed this pattern: Monday (intervals- 30 mins), Tue (recovery 30-60 mins slow), Wed (tempo 30 mins), Thur (recovery 30-60 slow), Fri (long run - 90 mins).

I did mostly on the treadmill and sometimes added in a 5mile gentle run at the weekend. I'm not a runner, I'm a big slow lump, but I used to run this weekly schedule with no problem what so ever.
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I run 3mi 6 days a week at about a 12m mile. 2 days a week I add in about 10m of 40/10 sprint/rests.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I run 3mi 6 days a week at about a 12m mile. 2 days a week I add in about 10m of 40/10 sprint/rests.

Wow your a beast!!! I want to get to your level!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I try for 10 times a week over 7 days, vary for how I feel.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    3 days a week.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest to avoid the treadmill and generally run outside as I find it so much easier and enjoyable. My weekly routine is below; this is when I've not got any races planned that week. I could run every day, however I'm currently running 2 races per month so working on other areas to improve my core.

Monday - Gym
    Tuesday - Running Club (between 5-10k)
    Wednesday - Gym
    Thursday - Running Club (between 5-10k)
    Friday - Gym
    Saturday - Light Park Run (5k)
    Sunday - Long Run (10k +)

From what you're currently doing you should see yourself being able to run further distances in the same time. When I first started running I was always conscious as to whether my pace was good enough, I soon realised it's each to their own and to run at my own pace. This way I've quickened my pace and increased my distance, at the same time as smashing PB's left right and centre!
  • williammuney
    Options
    I run 2 miles tue, wed, Thursday and a 10 miler on Sunday if it's really hot I cut it to 6
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    3-5 miles 3x a week.
    (and strength work 5 times a week in the form of power yoga and Pilates)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    3-5 times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I run 5-6, but not all long. Usually two six or seven milers on Mon/Wed, two two or three mile runs on Tuesday/Thursday on my lunch break, my "long run" on Saturday (no more than 14 miles, usually) and another short two or three mile recovery run on Sunday if I feel like it. I incorporate speedwork or hills into one or two of those too.

I'm not fast or experienced but it works for me and it's a base I'm satisfied with.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    7. Haven't missed a day in 18 months.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. If I'm not training for anything, that's about 20 miles a week. If I'm marathon training, it'll go over 50 miles a week during training.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how often you run as long as easy runs are mixed in the program. Better yet is to x-train 1-2 days a week instead of hitting the pavement. Bike, elliptical, swimming, etc. will help mitigate injury from overuse.

Right now I run 4 days/week and weight train 2 days/week. ~30 miles per week. I will add an additional cardio element next month that is not running.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    About 4 days a week (I also bike and swim). One long run on the weekend. When I was training for a marathon I was doing 5 days per week.
  • williammuney
    Options
    bannedword wrote: »
    6 days a week. If I'm not training for anything, that's about 20 miles a week. If I'm marathon training, it'll go over 50 miles a week during training.

Those 50 mile weeks are pure punishment but I love it
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    2-6 times per week depending on if I'm training for something or not.