Food Dehydrator

Options
2»

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @crazyravr how do I make the jerky pliable & leathery? Maybe I am using meat with too low a fat content?
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use my dehydrator all the time! It is strawberry season here in New England so will be making a batch of strawberry chips this weekend.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @fishshark was the jerky too crunchy? I want to know how to make it pliable or chewy.

not at all! but i made sure it wasnt to thin of a cut and watched it. I have made jerky that was like glass haha. I think marinading the heck out of it helps.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Thanks. I actually mostly make chicken jerky...for my dogs...I am going to experiment with marinades that won't harm a pup and see what I come up with.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Marinated and made beef jerky. Sesame oil and soy sauce. Worked great!
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love my food dehydrator! I have owned it for years and never used it. Then we had some chicken we weren't going to eat before going out of town, so I dehydrated the chicken and refrigerated it for the pet sitter to give the dogs in case they wouldn't eat their dry food while we were gone (they tend to pout). It was a hit! It keeps a long time in the refrigerator.

I made kale chips today and they are awesome...and not burned! Yea! I have also used it on apples, pears, cherries, and cherry tomatoes. I don't care for sundried tomatoes in oil, but these are great! The flavor of the dried tomato is so intense, a little goes a long way. And one or two slices of dried fruit is such a treat, so sweet...I am tickled with my new/old dehydrator!

Does anyone else use a dehydrator? Feel free to share your recipes and experiences, I'm all ears!

Karen in Virginia

Karen I also used to do chicken jerky for my dog. It ultimately sent him to vet & had to have surgery because of sharp shards poking and cutting his stomach and intestines.

I would be very careful doing that. We actually quit because we almost lost our dear pet.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @TommieCarrol OMG thanks so much for the warning! I watch it carefully and put it in a baggie with the air vacuumed out of it in the refrigerator so it gets leathery but sometimes it gets away from me and gets overdone. I would be devastated if I hurt my babies.

Karen