How many days do you RUN a wk?

Options
2»

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    0 - 7 times a week. Typically 4 - 6 though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Was 6.. But now 4 days only. 5-6 miles each day on Mon, Tues, Thurs and an 8 miler Satudays.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    4 or 5 days a week, usually. Total mileage 27-33 mi. Long run 10-13mi, other runs 5-8 mi. All my runs are slow to moderate pace. With the current heat and humidity, I'm not trying any pace runs :astonished:

All my runs are outdoors, which is currently pretty miserable, but I hate treadmills. They make my knees feel weird.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    2 - 3 for me.
  • JustAnotherCog
    JustAnotherCog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends on what you are hoping to achieve. I'm something of an endurance runner (favourite distance is the marathon), and I've tried a variety of patterns: 3 days a week, 5 days a week, 7 days a week. I found the three days a week was too intense and the 7 days week didn't give me any benefits over 5 days a week.

So, for me (and my life style) 5 days a week works best: e.g.
    • Monday: rest
    • Tuesday: speed work (say, a 5 Km race)
    • Wednesday: an easy day, say 7-11 km
    • Thursday: mid-week long run of 15-21 km (depending where I am in my training cycle)
    • Friday: Hills or fartlek for 7-11 km
    • Saturday: rest
    • Sundlay: classic long-run, 21-32 Km (depending where I am in my training cycle)

The secret is to do what you can, and build-up slowly. So, to answer your question, if that's where you are, then yes it seems sensible. Most of the running guides says it takes a couple years for the body to adapt to any kind of volume of running ... so if you don't try and do too much too soon (or too much too fast) then you should be fine.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Gross. None. LOL
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week, and x-train (usually yoga or swimming in the summer) 2-3 days a week.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Zero - preferably less.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I have a really demanding schedule so I just get my runs in when I can. Ideally I strive for 1 long run(over 10 miles), 2 medium runs(6-9 miles), and 3 short runs(3-5 miles) per week. That doesn't always work out, so I just try to make what runs I do get in quality...
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Might be the best advice yet!
    Zero - preferably less.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I go for the odd run. About 5k or a bit less depending on my legs and lungs (I have panic attacks of varying degrees when I run, I'm an odd bod).

I cannot fathom a 10 mile run, I get bored after the first 5 minutes wondering when it'll be over and that's outside with and without music!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    6 days outside jog 3-5km. I'm almost healthy BMI so not a lot of weight to carry
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Twice a week on the gym treadmill b4 or after weightlifting for about 30-45 minutes
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a year now, roughly 3x a week sometimes 4x. I finally made it to completing a 50 minute run this week. I would like to try to run more, but I don't want to hurt myself. How many days do you run a week, how long and how far do you run each day and is it outdoors or on the treadmill. I was thinking maybe I could do 50min (which is 4miles for me) then maybe 30 min, 20min a break day then 50min again 30 and 20. Does this seem reasonable?

For me it depends on my plan and what my objectives are.

At the moment I run four times per week, two midweek tend to be short, less than 10 miles, and the back to backs at the weekend tend to be long. I'll generally go between 10 and 13 on Saturday then between 13 and 20 on a Sunday.

What I'd suggest is being clear about what you want from running, and then you can structure to suit. Generally I'd say you want to be aiming to be able to do 60 minutes four times per week and then tailor your running from there. That's a solid base level of aerobic fitness that you can work from.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually run 2 miles on Wednesday and between 4-6 on Saturdays. I do strength training on Tuesdays and yoga on Thursdays. I sometimes try to fit another run in each week but haven't lately it has been to hot in the evenings at 8 pm it's still in the 80's and I don't like the treadmill.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Three days/week seems to be right for me. I run twice during the week (lately around 6 or 7k pace run and 5k incorporating some speed work) and a longer run on the weekend (12k this weekend). I try to fit in walking, stretching, cycling and/or a bit of strength work on alternate days. With at least one rest day a week - usually just some light walking (or some serious move-out-house-cleaning today).
    Always running outside, treadmills are too tedious for me - and I don't own one anyway. I'm lucky to live in a moderate climate so it's never to cold to run outside (though that doesn't stop me whinging when it's 2 or 3 C in the morning), though I try and fit in my runs so I don't have to run in the rain.

This is working well for me as it is enough running to keep me on track for my upcoming series of 12k races but not so much that I'm aggravating any of my old injuries.