I moved for one hour - after so many years of sitting.

Options

Replies

• mrsgoss
    mrsgoss Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! Way to go....
  • jvanessa89
    jvanessa89 Posts: 332 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    That is amazing! That's the beginning of your journey, so proud of you! Just keep it up and stay positive. <3
  • wigal23
    wigal23 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Amazing! That first step is always the hardest, and you should be very proud.
  • coffeen14
    coffeen14 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO! It takes one conscious step to start the flame! B)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Not just for mowing your lawn but for recognizing how important that task was for yourself. Some of us have those moments where we push ourselves into doing and completing something that is way outside of our normal routine. I started out by joining a gym and working out but I really want and need to develop ways to be active for the long run and adding routine household task add to my being active. Keep up the good work but don't push yourself too fast!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket, and suggest that it doesn't get easier every time.

What_Success_Looks_Like_Cartoon.jpg?640

Injury and overdoing it can definitely set you back. Pay attention to your body and if you feel a sharp pain or strain or if a pain lasts more than 24 hours, check it out, ice it, heat it, stretch it out, give it time to heal.

Now, the agonies of sweat are your badges of honor, and the burning in your muscles is a promise of strength tomorrow. You are doing great and I'm betting you won't even recognize yourself a year from now.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well done indeed!!!

• CatMama526
    CatMama526 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm super proud of you!!! Way to go!!!!
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! what an amazing first step :)
  • Caroledeegee
    Caroledeegee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful and you have inspired me to get off my duff too.
  • loha2328
    loha2328 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is surprising what “just moving” will do for your weight loss and health. I made a decision in January to change my lifestyle. I re-established my MFP account, bought a Fitbit to gauge my calories burned, and a food scale to get a handle on portions. Huge eye opener! You really don’t burn that many calories when you just sit around lol. I also had no idea how many calories I was consuming until I started logging. I started by just trying to eat 500 calories less than I burned using my Fitbit stats, but as time went on I was inspired by reading success stories here to actually start meeting my daily stair and step goals. I now make sure I hit the 5 mile mark every day, which is about 11,650 steps for me. When I started in January I would get out of breath going upstairs in my house. Now I can go up 2-3 times in a row. In fact, when I went to the doctor last week I took the stairs 5 flights to his office. I don’t go to a gym. I do all my walking in my house and doing yard work. I get up during commercials and walk around at night while I’m watching TV if I haven’t met my goal yet. It is really pretty easy now for me since I have a handle on my “calories in calories out”. Anyway, you are an inspiration to me too. I never did anything so strenuous when I first started, so I think you are brave and off to a great start. If I could recommend anything, it would be what has been working for me, get an activity tracker and a food scale, and of course log EVERYTHING!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I loved reading your story MyReflections.... it was just the kind of motivation I needed right now! If you can get out and mow the lawn.......I can get off my *kitten* and start belly dancing again every morning!

I'm no spring chicken either lol.. I'm 42 this year and weigh 253 pounds.... its horrendous, aching hips at my age..... please accept my friend request, I don't normally ask to be friends with people, but to watch you silently as we both lose would keep my fire burning.. xox
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank you to ALL of you, your comments motivated me and made me feel very special. I weighed in today; another 2.5 lbs dropped of this fat lady, a total of 14,5 lbs in 40 days.

Watch out for me, there will be more success stories in the future. I will walk, run, jump and dance before the year is over and there will be a bonfire with my fat people clothes. That's the goal :-)

I want to join that bonfire lol! Great job!

• Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with what others have said: this is one of the best posts I've seen on here. Thank you *so* much for sharing. You are an inspiration.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you to ALL of you, your comments motivated me and made me feel very special. I weighed in today; another 2.5 lbs dropped of this fat lady, a total of 14,5 lbs in 40 days.

Watch out for me, there will be more success stories in the future. I will walk, run, jump and dance before the year is over and there will be a bonfire with my fat people clothes. That's the goal :-)

This is even more awesome than your opening post! I'll be watching you!
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    One day at a time! & you already did the hardest one, great job!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU! each step matters. Keep it up.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I did something today that I haven't done in almost a decade. I opened the garage, got our push mower out and I started mowing. The back, the front and the side of our house. I had a day off, my husband was at work -nobody could stop me.

I am not a spring chicken anymore and I am very heavy. I haven't been on a walk in so many years. It took me 1 hour to mow the lawn. Sweat was dripping down my face, I was huffing and puffing , and my t-shirt was soaking wet...but I did it. I mowed, I bagged and cleaned up.

I moved around for 1 whole hour after so many years of sitting down. I had many water breaks, drunk about 4 bottles, but I did not sit down.

Young and healthy people might not be able to understand what that means to me. I feel like I started to climb a mountain and there is no turning back.

I am not sure where to post this because I am just at the beginning of my journey. I decided to post it here, under "success stories," because today I won!

I understand completely. Good for you!! You are so right, there's no turning back now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!