Women doing Stronglifts 5x5

Options
I really want to start doing Stronglifts 5x5 but am feeling a little intimidated. Especially by the recommended starting weights.
Looking for advice from women who have started out. I'd like to know how you started and any other tips you have!
Thanks!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I am currently my fifth week into Stronglifts 5x5. Before that, I was doing splits and I have to say, I like Stronglifts much better.

If you can't lift the bar - then see if your gym has fixed weight barbells and start there. The app allows you to change the weights.

Start slow - and work your way up. Watch the videos provided on the app and website. Read a lot.

You have every right to be lifting than anyone else.

Here is a group of women doing Stronglifts that you can join to ask questions and for accountability: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    not sure why this is a woman only question ... I did not think stronglifts was gender specific..

if you can't start doing the movements with just the bar, then you need to work with lighter dumbbells until you build up a base of strength that allows you to do the barbell movements.

I would also suggest looking at videos to learn proper form, and google the movements...you can also get a few sessions with a PT to get your form down...
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar and add small amounts of weight as you go. No tips really....just start now!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can start with any weight bar, even a piece of pvc pipe just to get the movements down.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I started with 15lb fixed weight bars and had a session with a personal trainer to teach me proper form for everything and then slowly worked my way up to using the olympic bar. I'm less than 3 months in and deadlifting my own body weight. it worked for me. definitely don't feel like you have to rush into lifting 45lbs right off the bat.
  • Stella014
    Stella014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 and was very imtimidated / scared too. I found a personal trainer. He started me on some general strength exercises for 2-3 weeks which I repeated a few more times a week on my own in the gym and he learned me proper from for squats but not the strong lifts program to begin with. He didn't want to put a 20kg or even 15kg bar on my back before I had proper form. Last week he got me doing the SL squat, OHP and deadlift. I feel so much more confident! I now walk into he heavy lifts area of my gym without fear, still a bit sheepish but not scared ;-)
    They have a 7kg barbell in my gym so I use that for the bench and OHP and the 20kg bar for the rest but I did start with dumbells to build some strength. So if you can, get a personal trainer and once you feel more confident it will be much easier and much less intimidating. I don't understand how people with no lifting experience can just start the SL program.