Stronglifts 5 x 5 question

Options
Scamd83
Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
If during a session you can't gain access to the squat rack, bench press or deadlift area is it acceptable to improvise with an alternative such as dumbbell bench press or smith machine (for example) to complete that session without compromising the results?

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    as long as its not every workout, it wont really affect anything. When I had to substitute in the past using a smith machine for squats, I'd usually put in a 4 for the last set so it would just repeat again the next time around.
  • Scamd83
    Options
    @jmc0806 Do you increase weight increments in 2.5 kg? My gym rarely has 1.25 kg plates available so I expect I'd have to aim for a 5 kg increase every session. But I'm guessing this might be an unrealistic rate of progression.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    @jmc0806 Do you increase weight increments in 2.5 kg? My gym rarely has 1.25 kg plates available so I expect I'd have to aim for a 5 kg increase every session. But I'm guessing this might be an unrealistic rate of progression.

I had to buy fractional plates when I couldn't move up by 5 pounds (American, here) any more. I got a set with .25 pound, .5 pound, .75 pound and 1 pound plates.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have a set of 8 0.5 lb plates
    They have been an ohp life saver
  • Scamd83
    Options
    @quiksylver296 @singingflutelady Good suggestion, found some microplates on eBay I can always carry with me to the gym. Totally hear you on the OHP, I definitely benefit on that one with microplates.
  • jmc0806
    Options
    I've got a home gym now so I've got 4- 2.5lb plates but my old gym offered them too. If you're going for 5kg, you're definitely going to stall out in most of the lifts (OHP, Bench and Squats most likely in that order) faster as the weight progresses, that's when the fractional weights will be necessary to see weight increases.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Personally, if I cant do them right, with the correct equipment, then I don't do them.

I will get a workout in doing something else ( like machines or body weight exercises ), but I don't track that as part of my program ( I use the app ).

I don't see anything inherently wrong with, for instance, doing OHP with dumbells or kettle balls infrequently; I just don't do it personally. I would never count using a machine ( restricted range of motion ) in tracking a free weight exercise, or vice versa.
  • jmc0806
    Options
    ^ that's why I would put in a 4 for the last set instead of 5. It will act as a failed set and repeat the same weight the next workout but then you can at least track that you did something in the app rather than leaving the whole exercise blank that day