"Secret Eaters" TV show

Options

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I can totally get this happening when you don't realize what portions are supposed to be like. So many times on my weight loss journey I've measured out a serving of something and realized that in the past, I would have eaten 3x that.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I will use all my powers of google-fu to find a way to watch this!

I just watched it on YouTube :)
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    this show made me realise how much i eat in my car! I was so deluded i wouldnt log it because i couldn't remember it! I would have sandwiches alllll the time whilst driving, how stupid is that?! Yeah love this show!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    O man, thanks for the new show to watch!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't those 'I don't remember eating' issues be solved if you made it a point never to eat anything while distracted (driving, TV, computer, etc)? I don't know, I've never experienced it (love food too much not to enjoy it, honestly), so I'm probably daft about it.

I'll watch the show if I can, but I'm not sure I want to watch that kind of stuff with the kids home... already too many talks of calories and unhealthy foods at 8 (and it's coming from their friends, not me!).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try to limit calorie talk in front of mini-me, it's not really a healthy subject for kids. They learn good eating habits by copying, not by joining in the weight loss obsession.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Ehhh, I can see people taking bites of food here and there and not counting it, but IDK how you can forget eating an entire donut/pastry.

Another recurring theme seems to be not tracking liquid calories like booze and such.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Watched this once, they had a segment where they set up a buffet table at a party complete with hidden camera. At one point a young girl (looked no older than 12) who was at a perfectly healthy weight helped herself to a few things and Anna on voiceover was so mocking of her it was cruel. Imagine mocking a young girl for having something to eat at a party, that's the sort of thing which if she sees could push her into an eating disorder. Whatever useful message their show delivers, the host is a cruel bully.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Another recurring theme seems to be not tracking liquid calories like booze and such.

And that's a bad one, because alcohol has 7 calories per gram - more than sugar. Even apart from the carbs contained in the drink, your body will burn the alcohol itself, like a happy drunken spirit stove (and playing havoc with your blood sugar in the process - there's a reason for all those late night kebabs).

Track your booze, people!
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this show (I live in Canada) and saw the heading while I was searching the Community boards. I'm on You Tube right now watching the very first episode. I like what the host had to say...you have to be honest with yourself about what you are eating !!!

That is so very true. There are times when I don't want to track what I've eaten but that's not helping me !!! I need to be honest with myself and take my journey day by day.

By the looks of the opening of the show, I think this brother and sister team is going to get a huge eye opening. I might too !!!

Let's see how it unfolds
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I brought up this memory issue in another discussion not too long ago. The "I used to have a fast metabolism and could eat all I wanted and never gained weight". I think it's the same thing.

The human memory is notoriously bad. So many studies have proven this.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Love this programme!

I was that person who was convinced I had a reasonable diet as I wasn't putting on weight just maintaining my overweight! I used to think I could have a lovely gooey cheese pasty for breakfast and then a big egg mayo baguette for lunch and then eat a 'healthy' jacket potato for dinner (oh and no snacks don't you know!) and think that would be okay. I never knew that the pasty was like 60% of the daily calorie allowance about 700 cals for a whole day for someone wanting to lose weight at my height. Then the baguette another calorie bomb at about 800cals! I was so out of touch .

Now I realise I was so very lucky not to have actually doubled my weight with that eating regime before I finally learnt about the simplicity of CICO!
  • Francl27
    Options

And that's a bad one, because alcohol has 7 calories per gram - more than sugar. Even apart from the carbs contained in the drink, your body will burn the alcohol itself, like a happy drunken spirit stove (and playing havoc with your blood sugar in the process - there's a reason for all those late night kebabs).

Track your booze, people!

Lol. I know a couple people who complain about their weight and having a hard time losing even though they 'eat nothing', but they have at least a drink a night, plus random Starbucks drinks during the day...

Well, yeah. And what they eat are a piece of pizza here and there... and it just adds up.

I brought up this memory issue in another discussion not too long ago. The "I used to have a fast metabolism and could eat all I wanted and never gained weight". I think it's the same thing.

The human memory is notoriously bad. So many studies have proven this.

I agree with this because in my memories of 3.5 years ago, I was eating 3000+ calories a day... but if it was true, I would have been 300 pounds, not 213 (and I maintained 200 pounds for 8 years eating that way too).

So I realize that I was probably eating less than I thought... which is completely ironic because it means that my TDEE was probably close to what it is now... the only difference being that I'm 77 pounds lighter and much more active - but now I obsess about calories more :(

MFP has been eye-opening for sure.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    OP, thank you so much. I am binge watching this on Youtube as I type this. So awesome!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Denial is a powerful force.

It also seems a lot of people just don't make the connection between QUANTITY of food and weight loss, they think it's all about quality - so if it's "bad" or "fattening" you should NEVER eat ANY of it, and if it's "healthy", " wholesome" or "home made" then you can eat as much as you like. It's the same thing that causes people to accidentally overdose on painkillers, I think - if a little bit is good, more must be better!

Last night I watched an episode of Secret Eaters where a man was eating Special K for breakfast - a QUADRUPLE portion of it, with about half a pint of milk, two tablespoons of jam (!) and a dollop of cream! "Well, it's healthy," he said, "so I thought the more the merrier."

That's the problem for a lot of people. Add the idea that "I deserve a treat", lack of awareness of how many calories are in treat food, and total ignorance of correct portion sizes and you have a recipe for unwitting obesity while believing you're eating "a healthy diet".

I just watched that episode. He actually didn't even put any milk on it. He poured double cream on it. That would be the American equivalent of pouring whipping cream on your cereal. I can't imagine... lol. Oh, and he also added a banana. It was a 1500 calorie bowl of cereal that he was insisting was healthy all the way up until they gave him the actual calorie count. *boggle*
  • Francl27
    Options
    Denial is a powerful force.

It also seems a lot of people just don't make the connection between QUANTITY of food and weight loss, they think it's all about quality - so if it's "bad" or "fattening" you should NEVER eat ANY of it, and if it's "healthy", " wholesome" or "home made" then you can eat as much as you like. It's the same thing that causes people to accidentally overdose on painkillers, I think - if a little bit is good, more must be better!

Last night I watched an episode of Secret Eaters where a man was eating Special K for breakfast - a QUADRUPLE portion of it, with about half a pint of milk, two tablespoons of jam (!) and a dollop of cream! "Well, it's healthy," he said, "so I thought the more the merrier."

That's the problem for a lot of people. Add the idea that "I deserve a treat", lack of awareness of how many calories are in treat food, and total ignorance of correct portion sizes and you have a recipe for unwitting obesity while believing you're eating "a healthy diet".

I just watched that episode. He actually didn't even put any milk on it. He poured double cream on it. That would be the American equivalent of pouring whipping cream on your cereal. I can't imagine... lol. Oh, and he also added a banana. It was a 1500 calorie bowl of cereal that he was insisting was healthy all the way up until they gave him the actual calorie count. *boggle*

Lol now I want to see that.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    OP, thank you so much. I am binge watching this on Youtube as I type this. So awesome!

As am I...quiet afternoon at work = watching Secret Eater.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    Holy moly !!!! That is a lot of alcohol consumed...one guy consumed over 3000 calories in alcohol alone in 1 night...zoinks
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love that show and also Supersize vs. Superskinny.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think this show highlights 3 of the main reasons people wrongly blame a poor metabolism. Forgetfulness, portion judging and knowledge of what is healthy.

I remember one episode where 2 sisters would have a fresh salad, pretty big but still a decent calorie count, then add half a pint of tahini or similar as dressing.

Fortunately I know where I go wrong, a pack of biscuits as a snack is never good!