Toddlers are gross

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eh. My kids are 8 and their underwear is still full of poop. And my son is a heavy sleeper and still has accidents at night (not his fault, but I have to clean it up).

Seriously, shoot me. I'm SO over this.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    They are gross. Luckily once they're toilet trained you don't have to deal with poop and pee very often. Although I have a baby and I'd rather change his poopy diapers than clean up the exorcist-type puke my 11 year old sprayed all over the bathroom yesterday.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Yes, I'll never understand why housetrained, cute, clean, well behaved dogs aren't allowed into restaurants but babies and toddlers are. I think some guy tried to open and operate a baby/toddler-free restaurant once but the parental units caused an uproar about it and he never got it off the ground.

There are a number of restaurants across the country that are "kid free." I think that restaurants that have gone "kid free" have actually flourished. parents and non-parents support the idea. Sure you will always have some dissenters when you make a move like that, but still, they are supported.

As a parent, I know I can definitely appreciate kid free zones and I know other parents who do as well. I mean, if I want to plan a date with my wife, going to a kid free restaurant is definitely a better option. Why would I want to plan a date without my son, and go to a plce that has kids running around? You will find less "parental units" causing an uproar than those who support things like this.

This. Just because I have kids doesn't mean I like other people's kids (mostly I don't) Especially on a date night when I want some peace and quiet. And there are many restaurants that are kid-free, because the food is not appropriate for small children (high-end restaurants or good sushi places for example). I hate crappy chain restaurants like Applebee's but that's where I take my kids because they serve kids meals and are full of other screeching kids. I would never go there for a date night.
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm a little heartsick at the moment, so excuse my sentimentality.

We've got 4 sons. The oldest is 18 and the youngest is 8. We're mostly past the really gross days now, except perhaps missing the toilet bowl sometimes still.

Our oldest is just starting to strike out on his own. He's taken a summer job halfway across the country, and once that's done we get him back for a few days and then it's off to college.

He's a fine young man and I'm so proud of him that I think my chest visibly swells up when I think about him. I also miss him terribly, and cried more the day he left than I think I have my whole adult life.

The experiences we had with him over his whole life--diaper changes, homework struggles, arguments, joys, disappointments, tragedies, small partings and reunions, illnesses (even the time he had diarrhea and vomiting simultaneously)--are part of the fabric of our shared life. We are tied together in an intimate way that is unique between us. As he slowly pulls away from us, as is proper, I think joyfully and wistfully of the times when he was small and needed my daily help and care. It was my privilege to raise him. I know him and my other children in a way that no one else ever can or will, except for my wife.

Now that he's older he still needs our help in larger ways: money, career, relationships, etc. And I genuinely enjoy his company. Our relationship is growing and maturing, but it's founded on the very first things we had together. Including the gross parts. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

That's such an amazing way of putting it and I couldn't agree more. Congrats to him and best of luck to you and your children.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

We've got 4 sons. The oldest is 18 and the youngest is 8. We're mostly past the really gross days now, except perhaps missing the toilet bowl sometimes still.

Our oldest is just starting to strike out on his own. He's taken a summer job halfway across the country, and once that's done we get him back for a few days and then it's off to college.

He's a fine young man and I'm so proud of him that I think my chest visibly swells up when I think about him. I also miss him terribly, and cried more the day he left than I think I have my whole adult life.

The experiences we had with him over his whole life--diaper changes, homework struggles, arguments, joys, disappointments, tragedies, small partings and reunions, illnesses (even the time he had diarrhea and vomiting simultaneously)--are part of the fabric of our shared life. We are tied together in an intimate way that is unique between us. As he slowly pulls away from us, as is proper, I think joyfully and wistfully of the times when he was small and needed my daily help and care. It was my privilege to raise him. I know him and my other children in a way that no one else ever can or will, except for my wife.

Now that he's older he still needs our help in larger ways: money, career, relationships, etc. And I genuinely enjoy his company. Our relationship is growing and maturing, but it's founded on the very first things we had together. Including the gross parts. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

That's such an amazing way of putting it and I couldn't agree more. Congrats to him and best of luck to you and your children.

Thanks. I don't often wax poetic.

We're dealing with some homesickness now, and part of the "cure" for that is not to hover or keep checking in. It's hard because I know he's lonely and hurting.

As a friend of mine says, "Small kids, small problems. Big kids, big problems."
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options

This made me cry, because I know all to soon my oldest will be on his own. He just turned 15. Even though he is almost a man I still see that little three year old boy.

• MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    I vividly recall the time I caught my toddler son drawing poo pics on his bedroom wall. :no_mouth::lol:
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    MrsBooBear wrote: »
    I vividly recall the time I caught my toddler son drawing poo pics on his bedroom wall. :no_mouth::lol:

Yes I remember those days with my boys!

Now that they are in college they still may draw poo pics...I am just not the one cleaning them! hahaha!!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    edited June 2016
    Options

This was so beautiful! Thank you. I think so often we parents complain about the small stuff and forget we will miss the small stuff when they're gone. It's all part of that special relationship.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options

:heart: I hear you, and then some. :heart: