exercise while shopping etc.

Options
nickiog
nickiog Posts: 187 Member
if you go shopping say at the mall or even just whatever store and you walk around the store without sitting down, do you track that as exercise or do you just ignore it?

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i track it as walking.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'd track it as walking. I'm going to hit the mall next week, and I'm bringing my pedometer to see how many steps I take. My goal is 20,000 steps. :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If it was me I wouldnt log it. Just kinda a bonus
  • looklikeaskeleton
    Options
    I always track it with my pedometer, even if im just walking to the store.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i tracked it as walking the slowest pace they had but i felt guilty cause it wasn't " intended " exercise..i had to get groceries or get my daughters summer clothes or whatever so i wasn't sure if it was actually something that i should track or if i should just write it off...but i guess since i have my thing set to sedentary then every little bit counts right?

also both times i was walking the whole time for over an hour and the one time i was there for 3 hours but i only counted it as one hour. plus i have to walk 2 blocks to the bus stop there and back too.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore it because shopping doesn't involve keeping your heart rate up constantly...unless you're one of those brides-to-be running to a bridal shop sale! :laugh:
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to track daily activities such as those, mostly because it's leisurely walking and doesn't get my heartrate up, therefore I think of it as already included in my "every-day burn" that MFP already calculates into my caloric needs.
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i tracked it as walking the slowest pace they had but i felt guilty cause it wasn't " intended " exercise..i had to get groceries or get my daughters summer clothes or whatever so i wasn't sure if it was actually something that i should track or if i should just write it off...but i guess since i have my thing set to sedentary then every little bit counts right?

also both times i was walking the whole time for over an hour and the one time i was there for 3 hours but i only counted it as one hour. plus i have to walk 2 blocks to the bus stop there and back too.

I take back what I said... lol. If you're walking THAT much (3 hours) I would track something. Especially if you are sweating or getting your heartrate up, which sounds like you might be for a time. But if it's under an hour, I wouldn't.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It depends, is your activity level set at sedentary? If it is then track it. If you're set at lightly active do NOT track it.
  • imcanadianangel
    imcanadianangel Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't track walking but I do track cleaning I mean when I clean the home from top to bottom including scrubbing the walls and baseboards and when I do that I chart it as moderate cleaning not heavy. I don't count it if I swept the floors or vacuuming but when I am doing a major clean and thats about once a week!
  • MandiMM
    MandiMM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I say if it's movement then at least be aware of it. You don't have to track it, but just know that another quick lap around the entire mall or the outside of the grocery is more steps for your day's total and brings you closer to health!
  • H8T3D
    H8T3D Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would track it as moderate pace walking, one of the good things going out and doing something is the exercise.. What would be the difference of walking around shopping for 3 hr's or walking around the city, park or neighborhood for a hr or so..

As long as your up and active your burning calories and every calorie counts. A 160 pound person would burn around 150-200 calories per hour shopping, If you shop for 3 hr's that is around 450-600 calories depending on your weight..

http://www.fatsecret.com/fitness/shopping

That's more calorie burn than some people get on a adv. day..