Wisdom tooth extractions - what did you eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I had all four out at age 25.
    Oral surgery. The nurse gave me the medication and told me to count down from 10. I remember 9.
    Next thing I knew it was over. It was late afternoon. Ate liquids that night, and was eating normal food the next day. I didn't even need to take an aspirin. I was lucky, I had no problems at all.
    DD had hers out at 16. Got sick from the pain killer prescribed and was miserable for about 4 days.
  • tofuligan
    tofuligan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I did that just a few weeks ago! Lots of healthy bean dips and hummus with a spoon, yogurt, frozen yogurt, and tons of fruit Popsicles
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just ate soup and drank coconut water. Then I moved on to yogurt and mac and cheese
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I ate lots of top ramen. I snuck cup-a-noodles sometimes, because I like those better, but I remember being warned prior to doing it that the peas and stuff will get stuck in your holes and can create dry sockets. Also, lots of mashed potatoes, milkshakes (although you can't suck through a straw) and froyo.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It seems weird that I don't remember what I ate. I also had all four out at once, and two of them, I was told, hadn't erupted and had to be essentially dug out. I do remember that I looked rather chipmunky for a few days but only took a few of the pain pills, and was back at my summer job lifeguarding, or it may have been getting the pool ready, the day after the oral surgery. Several people asked me why I was working. "It wouldn't hurt any less if I stayed home," I said.

So, yeah, I'm another who found it not near as bad as I'd feared.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I had mine out December 2013. I ate a lot of protein shakes and cup o soups and pudding. I must have recovered quickly because 3 days after the surgery I binged on chocolate candies and ate an entire box of Ritz crackers. Lol I was honest with my binges in my diary at least...
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You already have lots of good advice for what to eat, my suggestion is to not eat rice! I stupidly ate it, thinking it was a soft, but it gets stuck in the holes and is no fun to clean.
  • justsmile535
    justsmile535 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend just had all of his teeth pulled out about 2 weeks ago. I felt so bad for him. Applesauce, pudding, and grits were the only thing he could eat for about a week. He's just now starting to eat things like bake beans and eggs and some sliced pears. Once it completely heals in a few more weeks he'll be able to get dentures. The worst part for him was not being allowed to drink Pepsi or coffee. Lol when he was still loopy from the anesthesia he was trying to get me to ask the nurse when he can drink Pepsi again. Haha! But he's doing really well now, still very sore though, but no dry sockets. (:
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I haven't had wisdom teeth removed, but my wife has. She was eating Cheetos later in the day. :shrug:

@TR0berts

I'm sorry to say, I don't think she was getting her teeth removed... xD
    (kidding!!)
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Also, I was told not to exercise for two weeks because of the risk of a blood clot dislodging. You probably already know that though.

Yes, I do - quite a bummer =(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Also, I was told not to exercise for two weeks because of the risk of a blood clot dislodging. You probably already know that though.

Yes, I do - quite a bummer =(

You can walk. It's what I did.
  • nattyanon
    nattyanon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »
    I am getting my four wisdom teeth removed today, I assume i won't be able to eat solids for at least a week, I am wondering what you'all ate during the first several days when you couldn't handle solids?

Think about looking up baby foods, mashed up carrots, peas and such but make them adult sized. Make them at home ofc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Spaghettios- not too healthy! Lol!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Soup, smoothies, yogurt, mashed potatoes, anything soft...
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I ate jell-o and Gatorade for a week because I was so nauseous and slept the whole time. Turns out I was super allergic to the pain meds I was on :/ lost about 12 pounds in a week but quickly gained them back once I was off those meds and could eat properly again!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cold foods keep the swelling down.
    Make Protein Pudding and put it in the freezer:
    http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/12-great-uses-for-protein-powder/slide/3
    Ingredients:

1 scoop chocolate or vanilla whey protein powder
    6 oz plain Greek yogurt
    1-2 tsp water
    Instructions: Mix protein powder and Greek yogurt. Add 1 to 2 tsp of water, as needed, to thin out the mixture.

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I hope it's gone well!
    When i had 2 wisdom teeth out, it actually wasn't too long until I was able to eat regular-ish food. The day of the extraction I had a shake for dinner. The following day was liquid breakfast and lunch, but I managed some mac n cheese, and the following night had fish and chips (not crispy chips).
    Keep up with the antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, and keep the sockets clean. I did lots of salt water rinses. I ended up with an infection several weeks later so another course of antibiotics, but other than that I was quite surprised how not-terrible it was.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had three out at once...all impacted. Mashed potatoes, applesauce, smoothies, soft scrambled eggs, blended soups or just broth. Room temperature was best--don't know why but too hot or too cold bugged me. It was pretty awful, but I wasn't put out for it, just local numbing so I could hear everything. And then drove myself home. Not good.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I got all 4 pulled 4 days ago.. the day of I barely ate cause the thought of having to take the gauze out, barely being able to swallow and feel my mouth just seemed like more work that how hungry I was, I had some yogurt after i got home, then a smoothie later on and some ice cream. The next two days, soup, shakes, yogurt and more ice cream... I ate like 2 pints of arctic zero a day cause it was the only thing that somewhat filled me up that wasnt just carbs lol. Day 3 and 4 I had some egg whites with avocado and mashed sweet potatoes, banana with peanut butter, some yogurt with pb2, soup, lean cuisine mac and cheese (that *kitten* is awesome btw), mashed cauliflower, baked beans some flakey sea bass and more soup. I have my follow up tomorrow so we'll see what they say if its healing properly. My jaw is still sore but I feel much better. I'm mostly just paranoid and dont wanna start chewing food in fear of *kitten* getting stuck in the holes and me rinsing too much and the blood clot falling out. I think I'll be able to eat more solids food in a couple of days tho
  • TheFair0ne
    TheFair0ne Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lots of mashed potatoes and gravy and broth and soup.

I tried chili and found that was a bad mistake when the small pieces of ground beef got caught in the sockets/holes where the teeth used to be. *shivers*

Mashed pots and gravy was the best though. Filling, easy and never painful.