Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Orthorexia

Options
Idle_Moon
Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
Wiki: Orthorexia nervosa
There's this Dutch video. A woman explains orthorexia and how she suffered from it. It's a - unclassified - eating dissorder where someone is obsessed with eating "healthy". Such as sugar free, gluten free, carb free, etc.

I don't know how to feel about this. Being obsessed about food can be dangerous, allowing yourself to be underfed because you believe it's healthy and becoming anorexic. On the other hand, are people going to use orthorexia as an excuse? People would say that weighting everything I eat and minding the calories and macro's is obsesive behavoir. While people on MyFitnessPal consider it normal.

I also get this feeling that we are trying to classify everything. Do we need to classify it as "orthorexia", or is "eating dissorder" and "obsession" good enough?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I think its ok to use these words to express ideas. Its easier to say " I'm a bit orthorexic, I keep giving up food groups to lose weight instead of just logging calories." etc. than trying to explain an eating disorder.There are also different treatments for different eating disorders.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Its the mental dysfunction that is being given a name not necessarily the action itself. The medical and psychiatric fields have to name it something.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    Wiki: Orthorexia nervosa
    There's this Dutch video. A woman explains orthorexia and how she suffered from it. It's a - unclassified - eating dissorder where someone is obsessed with eating "healthy". Such as sugar free, gluten free, carb free, etc.

I don't know how to feel about this. Being obsessed about food can be dangerous, allowing yourself to be underfed because you believe it's healthy and becoming anorexic. On the other hand, are people going to use orthorexia as an excuse? People would say that weighting everything I eat and minding the calories and macro's is obsesive behavoir. While people on MyFitnessPal consider it normal.

I also get this feeling that we are trying to classify everything. Do we need to classify it as "orthorexia", or is "eating dissorder" and "obsession" good enough?

Yes it is nessary, how do you think doctors can bill the insurance companies without a diagnosis?
  • Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your posts. You gave me an other view on this subject to understand the problem better. I didn't realise an obsession with food could hold you back in more things than eating.
    Is it true that orthorexia is a modern problem, because people are caring more about health, diet and fitness nowadays? Or is that an illusion, because of social media?

@Roxiedawn: A diagnosis is identifying the nature and cause of a problem. This nature and cause don't need to have a certain name. Although it could help gain awarness and do communicate about it if the same problem has a name. But it won't prevent a doctor from doing is work. :smile:
    However, you could be right about the insurance companies. Maybe they are willing to cover "orthorexia" better than "eating dissorder".
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    This is an interesting point. Like you said, outside of MFP I think the way many people on here meticulously log could certainly be considered over the top in real life.
    And likewise with the example you gave of people going to great lengths to eat healthy, I do agree that's a gray area as well.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree, from all I've read about mental health, that is generally the threshold. You can be as weird as you like, but are you functional? Able to get on with day to day life and cope with ordinary circumstances? Yes? Then you don't have a disorder.

I do wonder about this need for everything to be specifically diagnosed, and I agree it probably has more to do with insurance company paperwork than medical benefit. There certainly doesn't seem to be the same drive to diagnose here, where funding is not subject to insurance approval. I would say I suffer from anxiety, for example, and I am on medication for it, but I have not been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder or anything like that - the doctor just noted my symptoms and said I could try this medication to see if it would help.

As for orthorexia, I believe it is a type of OCD (as is anorexia) and since it lacks the immediate danger of death associated with anorexia, and its effects are more similar to regular OCD, I can understand why it doesn't have its own category. If someone needs treated for it, can't they just be diagnosed with OCD?
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Orthorexia was the stepping stone to full blown anorexia for my sister. I think it is an important classification. Everyone who excludes foods from their diet is not orthorexic. But the diagnosis can be made when someone's diet becomes obsessive to the point of seriously affecting quality of life. I agree that we live in a diagnosis-heavy society and that not everything needs labels. Nevertheless some people with mental illness find accepting a diagnosis to be an important step in the process of healing.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting doctors were wedded to diagnosis for "financial gain", like it's somehow making them rich, but because otherwise the treatment will not be funded and the patient will not be helped. That's a big difference.

Yes, diagnosis is important up to a point, but I'm not convinced that a lot of the ever-more-specific subdivisions of mental health problems are actually beneficial to the patient, nor backed up by our knowledge of the mechanisms behind these problems.

Psychological issues are complex and very varied from patient to patient, and I don't think people always appreciate that diagnostic categories are more a way of categorising symptoms by similarity, rather than defining disorders by the underlying mechanism, as physiological diagnoses usually are.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I think its ok to use these words to express ideas. Its easier to say " I'm a bit orthorexic, I keep giving up food groups to lose weight instead of just logging calories." etc. than trying to explain an eating disorder.There are also different treatments for different eating disorders.

No. Nobody should be using a psychological disorder to describe themselves if it doesn't apply. Nobody is "a bit anorexic", "a bit bulimic", "a bit OCD" or even "a bit bipolar". It's using serious medical conditions in every day language like this that diminishes those things and the impact actually having them has on every day life.

And yes, it is useful to have such diagnoses and conditions being given a name. Aside from countries where insurance applies, it also means treatment can be tailored and appropriate and hopefully more effective.

I don't see a problem with phrases like "a bit OCD" etc. I understand when someone says this that they have tendencies they are not happy with but aren't extreme enough to be considered a disorder. I view most mental health issues as being on a spectrum. I have looked up the medical definition of binge eating disorder, for instance, and I don't binge frequently enough to be classified as having BED, but I still consider binging behaviour to be something I have to be mindful of.

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It would be consider EDNOS - eating disorder not otherwise specified if the person meets the criteria for having an eating disorder but isn't bulemic or anorexic. You can't just be "alittle" of an eating disorder.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Yes it is nessary, how do you think doctors can bill the insurance companies without a diagnosis?

Doctors can't diagnose people with orthorexia nervosa because it's officially not a thing. It's not in the DSM.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Doctors can't diagnose people with orthorexia nervosa because it's officially not a thing. It's not in the DSM.

I didn't know it wasn't an actual disorder. I have been on other sites that often speak of this as if it is a real eating disorder and are seeking therapy for it! Thanks for letting us know.

So with that I guess it should just be used to describe tendencies in conversation as was mentioned above, maybe. idk for sure. Thats how I use it and since its not actually an eating disorder then, why not?

• madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @VintageFeline Thank you for saying this. I completely agree.

I remember a neuroscience lecturer explaining how to distinguish a disorder from just problematic behaviour, though she was talking about alcoholism at the time: It's when you go from drinking interfering with your life to life interfering with your drinking.
    I think this is too extreme, but the main gist is about right. It's not about a behaviour influencing our choices in small ways which may be a bit obsessive, such as choosing to drink water instead of beer to limit calories, or taking 10 minutes to look up caloric content in a restaurant. Just as major depression is not just about 'being blue' and 'putting a smile on your face' and 'happy pills'.

@Idle_Moon as others have said, specific diagnoses can help in finding/accessing tailored treatments. It can be a negative as well, certainly. As an example, a friend of mine had anorexia, but couldn't be diagnosed because she wasn't underweight (yet, she was losing weight rapidly, but had started out obese) and being underweight is one of the key diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa. That meant she couldn't access the treatments which would have been most likely to help her and because medical professionals saw an EDNOS diagnosis and an obese woman, a few times she actually ended up in treatment which was harmful to her.