Healthy replacement for butter and toast?

Options
What's a food that's just as filling, warm, and quick to make as toast with butter? There are way too many carbohydrates in my life, and my Smart Balance has poly and monounsaturated fats that are tragically making me consider breaking up with it /;

Replies

• JuicerLab
    JuicerLab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My family enjoys that olive oil spread stuff. Can you have that?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Egg muffins that you make ahead of time and reheat in the mornings through out the week.
    http://hurrythefoodup.com/low-carb-egg-breakfast-muffins/
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Try organic Earth Balance and Ezikiel bread
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Ditch the bread, get oats, milk & some blueberries
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Get some whole grain bread.

Can't really answer the question though because toast is anything but filling for me, so basically ANYTHING would be more filling.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Steak & Eggs.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    What's a food that's just as filling, warm, and quick to make as toast with butter? There are way too many carbohydrates in my life, and my Smart Balance has poly and monounsaturated fats that are tragically making me consider breaking up with it /;

Poly- and monounsaturated fats are the kind you want to get more of. Are you looking at MFP's setting of 0 grams? That's misleading. They only set it that way because there's no established reccommendation for how much you should get.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    100% whole wheat toast, cut in half if you really want to cut the carbs, but whole wheat is better for you since it has more fiber and protein, and instead of butter, make an egg omelette for on top.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Toast takes less than 5 minutes to make. Not a lot of things are going to cook from scratch in less than 5 minutes. You might try cooking a bunch of something and reheating it in a few minutes as you want it.
    Eggs are fast to cook. I don't personally find them filling unless they have vegetables, cheese, or meat added- or accompanied by toast. http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2005/10/breakfast-dishes.html

If you really like toast maybe you should stick to toast though. Some people have toast with peanut butter, hummus or avocado instead of butter if you want to try something other than butter.
    Instant oatmeal, farina are pretty quick.
  • nattyanon
    nattyanon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    danhib wrote: »
    Ditch the bread, get oats, milk & some blueberries

Ditch the milk and put in a teaspoon of honey and you'll be in flavortown. Not to meation you'd be fulfilling both your need for something warm to eat and won't be tempted as much to eat some crappy kids cereal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Toast is my Achilles heel, so I totally understand why you love it. There's nothing quite like the texture of toasted bread.

There is no replacement that will afford you the same texture. You could try a bread with more protein in it.

You could try lower-fat spreads like light laughing cow.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal ahead of time. I use the steel cut oats and cook 1 cup and add strawberries and blueberries, stick that in the fridge. For breakfast I spoon into a bowl and heat in the microwave, topping it off with a nice scoop of Vanilla Greek Yogurt. 1 cup of steel cut oats gives me a week of breakfast!! Although, I say have your toast and butter occasionally. I don't think you need to cut out altogether, just limit how much you eat it.
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    plain yogurt and nuts, crunchy and quick
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There are breads out there that are lower in carbs and calories. Thomas makes a protein English muffin as well as one that is only 100 calories. Both are good, the high protein is a little higher in calories. Try spreading with some avocado, nut butter, apple butter, or other light fruit spread. A smear of light cream cheese or Laughing Cow cheese spread is good as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Try organic Earth Balance and Ezikiel bread

Ya, I find bread made from sprouted grains more filling and am currently using Alvarado St Bakery, the Essential Flax variety, which is only 50 calories per slice. Stores that carry these types of bread usually have it in the freezer section.

However, @Spiegelchan, I never have just toast and butter - I need protein as well. A poached or fried egg would be a simple accompaniment.