Adding strength training to tracker

Options
So I've looked around and I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I use the gym in my complex and it has a few strength training machines. I do certain exercises on it and can't figure out how to track them. One of them is called a Triceps Ladder (my husband taught me to do that) and I can't figure out how to add it to my tracker since its not a specific routine.
My typical routine for leg/ab day is: the elliptical for 30-35 mins (average of around 2.5 miles), leg extension machine (52 lbs for 10 reps/set with 3 sets), lying leg curl machine (52 lbs for 10 reps/set with 3 sets), leg press (93.6 lbs for 15 reps/set with 3 sets), 3/4 sit ups (20 reps/set with 2 sets), and low back extension (20 reps/set with 2 sets). I am confused as to how to add in the ab workouts since it uses my body weight instead of an actual set weight.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    For tracker, I'm assuming you mean MFP under the strength training section? I'm going to answer just assuming it is. But in a case like that, just find something similar and go from there. You will know what it is, and essentially you are just tracking progress.

I will admit though, I find keeping a notebook better than constantly entering it online. I add all the information and bring it with everytime I go. Might be another option to look into.
  • Losingweight1983
    Losingweight1983 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    For tracker, I'm assuming you mean MFP under the strength training section? I'm going to answer just assuming it is. But in a case like that, just find something similar and go from there. You will know what it is, and essentially you are just tracking progress.

I will admit though, I find keeping a notebook better than constantly entering it online. I add all the information and bring it with everytime I go. Might be another option to look into.

I have an app on my phone called FitNotes that I use to track my workouts so that way, I can copy from a day to since I am working on building a set routine with 2 days off in it. I generally log my workouts on another site but was just trying to figure out how to log them here so that it is more realistic.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

I have an app on my phone called FitNotes that I use to track my workouts so that way, I can copy from a day to since I am working on building a set routine with 2 days off in it. I generally log my workouts on another site but was just trying to figure out how to log them here so that it is more realistic.

Okay. I'm not familiar with that app so I wouldn't be able to answer 100%. I typically had used the bodybuilder app when I was ambitious enough to keep track online. However, adding strength training to MFP can be done two ways. Either in the actual strength training section of exercise, which does not give you calories burned but allows sets and reps, or in cardio just as strength training, which will give you calories. However, the cardio version is just strength training, you cannot input anything.

Be forewarned, however, that many people do not log strength training as exercise due to the huge error in calories it can have if you chose that route. There are far too many factors that dictate calorie burn that cannot be accounted for, so the common consensus is to leave those calories alone or eat very few. I add that only because I saw your other thread in regards to a similar topic.