Feeling the need to eat but not hungry

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Man, does it happen to anyone else? I sometimes have hypoglycemia-like symptoms (probably reactive hypoglycemia or something) and I start to feel a bit weak and the need to eat even though I'm really not hungry...

How do you deal with it? It's really annoying. I'm not hungry. I don't WANT to eat. But this feeling sucks. I usually eat every 3 hours to avoid it, but today I had a very big lunch and was planning on skipping dinner, but this is making it difficult.

(and yes I've been drinking water. Not doing a thing).

Replies

• LizSmith55
    LizSmith55 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to my body & grab a small something to eat....make the best choice you can.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used to get this feeling frequently. It happens less often now that I've lost some weight. I had some blood work done and it came back normal. My doctor told me it was probably caused by episodes of low blood sugar.

He advised me to eat a small snack when I start feeling shaky - a piece of fruit or a small piece of cheese, for example. It may relieve the hypoglycemia-like symptoms you've described.

Have you asked your doctor about this problem? If this happens to you frequently, you really should get a check-up.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I used to get this feel frequently. It happens less often now that I've lost some weight. I had some blood work done and it came back normal. My doctor told me it was probably caused by episodes of low blood sugar.

He advised me to eat a small snack when I start feeling shaky - a piece of fruit or a small piece of cheese, for example. It may relieve the hypoglycemia-like symptoms you've described.

Have you asked your doctor about this problem? If this happens to you frequently, you really should get a check-up.

My check up is in a couple months and I'll definitely mention it.. it's typically worse the week before my period too.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When your blood sugar drops like that, many times you won't feel hungry and even nauseous. But you need to eat.

Focus on eating foods with a low glycemic index (Google for a list). And check your diary for foods that tend to drop your blood sugar. And it may all be amount. (If I eat a ton of potatoes, that will effect me but if I eat a small serving, no problem.)

Definitely mention this at your checkup.
  • Francl27
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Oh and it's the same reason I have to eat breakfast in the morning... I'm not always hungry but I just feel weak.

I know how to avoid it though! It's just that yesterday we had my son's scout graduations and I ate too much at lunch (the brownie probably did me in).

Bleh. It just makes maintaining hard sometimes. Wish I could be one of those people who can just skip dinner when they're not hungry! Doesn't help that when it happens nothing appeals to me so I'm less likely to pick healthy options.