On a diet for 1 week now

Options
slayer1105
slayer1105 Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Can any dieting expert help me with my weight loss? I dont know why but I haven't dropped a single lb in the past week after giving my all. After stress eating through my midterms and finals, I gained a whopping 35 lbs in the past 5 months, up from 195 lbs in january to 230 lbs now at 6'2''. After gathering a lot of dieting information, I decided to start my diet and drop to 160 lbs by the end of 2016. I used www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ to find that my total daily calorie expenditure is 3200 at my current active level, and I also eat 1200~1600 calories per day these past week, sometimes skipping dinner. An example of my day would be to wake up at 6:30am, eat a breakfast consisting of 2 cups of coffee, 1 inch portion of a sausage, and less than 1/2 bowl of rice, then I would go to work (home depot, very active on my feet all day), for lunch I'll order chinese takeouts, eating only the entree, not eating any rice/carbs, and for dinner I either skip it or eat ~500- 600 calories worth of food. I swapped out liquid calories for water and diet coke. I also go to the gym for 2 hrs, 5 times this past week. I'd do 20~30 min of ecliptical and burn ~300 calories, then do 50 pushups and 50 situps. The remaining of the time I lift weights and rest between reps. This morning, exactly 1 week since I started my diet, I weighted myself at 230 lb... not a single lb less than how much I weighed last week, which really discouraged me. Am I doing something wrong? or am I not trying hard enough?

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You're probably retaining water for muscle repair because of the new work out...that will wear off.

But...

Chinese takeout entrees can have over 1000 calories by themselves and are laced with sodium which also causes water retention...you're probably not eating what you think you are (which is good because your goal is too low).

Hate to say it but I suspect you'll need to get a food scale and learn what portions are cause your way of describing them makes me think you can't possibly be measuring them properly.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when there is a big change like increased exercise, the body initially holds on to water weight.
    Give the scale another week or two.
    Also right now, take BEFORE pictures and measurements so that on days when the scale is not cooperating, you can look at your success.
    That Chinese food, even without the rice, has a ton more calories than you might realize because of the fat and carbs from the breading and oil. Consider getting a steamed, grilled, or baked option.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    BTW, How old are you and do you have any kind of science background?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    One week is not long enough time to determine anything, have patience grasshopper :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    How do you know how many calories you are eating? Are you weighing anything?

Honestly though, one week is waaay to early to tell what might be going on.

• slava977
    slava977 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pardon me being so forward but if you are a 6'2 guy - a goal of 160 lbs sounds very skinny, no? My ex was 6'2 and weighed 215 lbs and looked gorgeous.
  • slayer1105
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone... I guess I am a bit too impatient... All my life I've been under 200 lbs and right now is the heaviest I've ever been which kinda makes me very anxious to drop it back down.
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    BTW, How old are you and do you have any kind of science background?

I am 20 years old, only science background I had was a food science course I took my freshmen year of university.
    Alluminati wrote: »
    How do you know how many calories you are eating? Are you weighing anything?

Honestly though, one week is waaay to early to tell what might be going on.

Dinner I cooked myself, using the nutritional facts from the food packaging, others are mostly estimate either through MFP or google search.
    slava977 wrote: »
    Pardon me being so forward but if you are a 6'2 guy - a goal of 160 lbs sounds very skinny, no? My ex was 6'2 and weighed 215 lbs and looked gorgeous.

I guess it might just be my culture... It is more normal for asians to be 160~170 lb at this height.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    slava977 wrote: »

It does sound a bit slim for someone of that height. However, your ex may have a lot more muscle mass than OP. It just depends. I don't know if 160 is near the low end of healthy or not. I didn't look that up.

I will say, my boyfriend is 6'3 and about 205. He doesn't have much muscle! So he does have a bit of a belly. I knew him when he was 175 and still had a slight belly.

OP can always evaluate as he loses weight!
  • slayer1105
    Options
    Oh it might also be due to different scales.... The 230 I checked this morning was an at home scale, while the 230 from last week was the gym scale. I'll go weigh myself tomorrow at the gym to be consistent and see if I actually lost weight.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder OP, if you want a consistent weight, using the same scale isn't enough. The best time to weigh yourself is right after you wake up and relieve yourself. And your clothing should be consistent from day to day as well. Otherwise weight fluctuations (or lack of loss) could be misleading and be accounted for by heavier clothing or a belly full of water.