butt and upper thighs

Options
perkymommy
perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
What are some of the best exercises for the butt/upper thighs area? I need exercise ideas that use no equipment and can be done at home. I have a treadmill so I already walk every other day on that.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, glute bridges, donkey kicks...search bodyweight exercises for legs and butt and you'll find even more
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hip thrust or glute bridge (I don't know the difference):
    - lie on your back w/ knees bent
    - raise and squeeze your butt up until you make a line from your shoulders/upper back to your knees
    - hold it for a few seconds, work it up to 10 seconds
    - I do these at the gym, w/ 155# bar across my hips, so once you build up to it, hold some weights/dumbbells or gallon of water on your hips as you thrust up
    --

good old squats
    - check your form

walking kick-backs, add some lunges:
    - so I do walking lunges (across a room)
    - when I come up from the lunge, I kick back that leg and squeeze my butt for a 1count hold,
    - next leg lunge

--
    Since you have a treadmill,
    Alternate w/ days with really high incline: that really works the thighs/butts.
    My best activity for best butt results = hill sprints.
    I run up a STEEP hill for 10seconds as fast as possible, and walk down the hill gasping for air, and run up again.
    Goal is to get to 10-15 times up the hill.
    Or your treadmill.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Walking lunges and kettlebell swings. Begin with 3 sets of 8. Progress lunges by carrying weight (kettlebell in one hand, overhead...). Progress kettlebell swings with single-arm. Progress both with more sets/reps.
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Back in college I used to fill my backpack with heavy books or weighted plates and do single leg step ups on an end table in my apartment. I did a jump up at the top to switch legs and I called them mountain climbers. I liked to do about 20 with each leg, so it was pretty intense. Use a coffee table or sturdy chair tall enough that will let you get the same range of motion you would get to do a squat.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Check out Strong Curves, and bretcontreras.com - it's the sacred text of butt exercise.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try fitnessblender on you YouTube, they have so many butt workouts with and without weights
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    - raise and squeeze your butt up until you make a line from your shoulders/upper back to your knees
    - I do these at the gym, w/ 155# bar across my hips, so once you build up to it, hold some weights/dumbbells or gallon of water on your hips as you thrust up

Bridges are done lying on the ground. Hip thrusts are done with a bench.

https://youtu.be/A8nFGuY77CE
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Bridges are done lying on the ground. Hip thrusts are done with a bench.

https://youtu.be/A8nFGuY77CE

THANK YOU so very much!
    Learn something new everyday!

(You would think Bridges are on Bench, since when your hips are up, you're parallel like a bridge, and easier to remember: B and B)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    --

good old squats
    - check your form

walking kick-backs, add some lunges:
    - so I do walking lunges (across a room)
    - when I come up from the lunge, I kick back that leg and squeeze my butt for a 1count hold,
    - next leg lunge

--
    Since you have a treadmill,
    Alternate w/ days with really high incline: that really works the thighs/butts.
    My best activity for best butt results = hill sprints.
    I run up a STEEP hill for 10seconds as fast as possible, and walk down the hill gasping for air, and run up again.
    Goal is to get to 10-15 times up the hill.
    Or your treadmill.

I think hip thrusts are done with your back on a workout bench so that your body is horizontal when thrusting. Vs glute bridge which is done with shoulders on the floor so that your torso is angled when thrusting. Just guessing though.

ETA: Darn, someone beat me to it (by several days, I might add) haha. I need to read things in full before posting..
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Check out Strong Curves as mentioned above. Even if you can't do all of it because of lack of equipment, you can look in his exercise index & substitute out exercises that don't use equipment. You would need to buy the book to have the index, obviously. One of the programs in the book is written for at home use & uses less equipment, so if you're open to it, you would invest in less stuff.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    And if you get bored you can always try jump lunges, jump squats and burpees.