Binge earing

Options
Does anyone else binge eat? How do u curb cravings?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    I used to go really crazy about candy and crisps. What has helped me is to start working out. For some reason this has stopped my hunger for sweet stuff.

I don't know what helps for you. You are the only one that can find out why you binge in the first place, and in which situations. This might help you getting an idea on how to stop binging. Are you eating enough to start with or are you hungry? Do you have things to do or are you bored or otherwise unhappy with your life? Find out what you could do instead or what you could change. Is it the taste of some specific food items and why? Say: I had pulled pork two days ago and I thought: wow, I could eat this all day. But after finishing it I realized I only tasted the sauce/marinade/whatever it was. It was so overpowering that I didn't taste the bread, neither the home-made crunchy and fresh coleslow, and neither the pork. This stopped me from wanting this again.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This has been a bit of a journey for me. A few points -

- tackling things that make me unhappy or anxious. This is a big cause of binge eating for me. It has involved counselling, seeking treatment for anxiety, and developing more self knowledge about what sets me off. I'm still in that process.

- unlearning the idea that some foods are "bad" or "forbidden", as that only makes them glamorous and super desirable. Taking "naughty" foods off their pedestal by eating small amounts of them regularly. This takes time to work but makes a big difference.

- exercise. I also am less hungry and nibbly after heavy exercise, and more inclined to want a proper meal rather than snacks.

- eating a more filling diet generally, with more protein, whole grains and veg.

- less sugar. Don't brand sugar "bad" as that is counterproductive (see above), but more sugar in my diet makes me more nibbly in general, so if I reduce it it makes it easier to reduce snacking and avoid binging.

Hope some of this helps.
  • 7Lish77
    7Lish77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to binge eat around 2-3 times a week. I think I mostly went for foods containing carbs, sugars and fat and at that time, my diet didn't involve any foods high in protein so I never felt full. When I first changed my eating habits, I started eating more protein and ditched the carbs, the day was ok but then again, in the evening I had huge cravings for carbs. Now I try to keep every single meal balanced and it seems to be working.

Also, I go out for a short walk or do the chores if I get cravings, just to get my mind off food and I think it helps.