How To Stop Yo Yo Dieting

Options
I am wanting to stop going through yo yo dieting once and for all. Diet is hard,going on a diet forever is harder. The body can take its toll going through this cycle.

Replies

• James991223
    James991223 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How quick do you make your changes? I suggest try not overwhelming yourself. If you're eating excess amount of calories perhaps spend a week just eating at maintenance, then week later reduce it a bit more and so on until your at your target deficit goal. Same with exercise too, don't go all out straight away, build yourself into it. Treat this as a lifestyle change otherwise it's likely you'll continue to yo you diet.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Learn how to eat at maintenance once you reach your goal
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why not try the approach of eating at your estimated GOAL weight maintenance calorie level now?

So you start learning how to maintain while losing weight. The last pounds would be slow but aiming for fast results is often one of the drivers for yo-yo dieting.

Setting other personal goals apart from your weight may put things in a better perspective too.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting and start living. Assume control of your thinking and change thought patterns that aren't helpful. Learn the skills needed to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle - I highly recommend the books by Judith Beck.

Progress, not perfection. Take responsibility - own and acknowledge your mistakes, figure out what you can do differently next time, and move on. You are the author of your story and your choices determine how the story goes.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Yo-yo dieting is usually a consequence of making a sudden, drastic change due to an emotional impulse to lose weight. You end up picking some highly complicated or restrictive plan in the hopes that it will be a quick fix. You lose some weight and once the emotional pressure to continue is off, you go back to your old routine and gain weight.

If you approach this as a long term plan of moderate adjustments, you can avoid yo-yo dieting.

Figure out how much you need to eat. Use MFP's setup and determine your calorie target.
    Eat food you enjoy in portions that satisfy you that stay under that target.
    Adjust as necessary to help you feel more satiated between meals.
    Don't obsess over individual foods, the context of your overall diet is more important.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Been yo yo dieting for 3 years and would like to stop & be at a healthy BMI number 70kg

The way to stop yo-yo dieting is to stop obsessing over minutia and set consistent and achievable goals. Bouncing from plan to plan and second-guessing every food decision won't get you there.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Easy. Stop dieting. Just eat less than you burn. Really all that means is don't overeat.
    How? You make a COMMITMENT. And then you stick to it. Have a plan of action and a back up plan just in case.
    Changing your current behavior and replacing it with one that will help with weight loss and maintenance should be your goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Been yo yo dieting for 3 years and would like to stop & be at a healthy BMI number 70kg

The way to stop yo-yo dieting is to stop obsessing over minutia and set consistent and achievable goals. Bouncing from plan to plan and second-guessing every food decision won't get you there.

This.

Also, you've been an active poster here since February; you are clearly intelligent, four months and all the advice you've been given should be enough to come up with a game plan. Problems with focusing and extracting and generalizing information - executive functions - CAN be signs of malfunctioning frontal lobes. Have you discussed this with your doctor? If you have ADHD or similar challenges, you'll most probably need another approach and maybe some hands-on IRL guidance and follow-up to succeed with your weight loss program. I have Asperger myself, so I'm not saying this to be rude, and I don't claim that you have or should have a diagnosis - but these diagnoses can be very subtle and many of us don't get diagnosed until we are well into our mature years, after struggling with "something, but not quite" all our lives. A good talk with your doctor, maybe bringing a friend or parent, or at least a written list of questions, could be in order.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Thanks. I needed this. Like right now. I went up 5 lbs from some major stress eating. I refuse to go any further.