Gaining rather than toning and losing

Options
Hi Everyone,

In January i had started doing BBG1, and i did notice some small differences, that i was getting stronger and could see some definition in parts of my body, it was great. i worked in a hopsital and was on my feet all day, so used to snack constantly on healthy things like fruits etc I got a new office job in april, and since april to now have noticed that my body has gotten bigger. :( My arms are bigger, and yeah i've noticed more definition, i feel like i've gotten fatter :'(

I eat healthy, I eat almost the the same things except for dinner. Porridge and fruits in the morning, trail mix and some breakfast buscuits for a snack, then quinoa and veg or lunch with chicken, or something vegtable based with chicken or fish, and then i have an egg for a snack and maybe some fruits or yoghurt and then dinner, which is still healthy.

I keep looking in the mirror and feeling the fit of my clothes are different to what it was before, if anything i feel i've gone a size up than down or stay same.

I still workout during the week anywhere between 4-6 times a week. Im just so frustrated, i really thought i was making progress but if anything i feel massive and whale like. Help :(

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Your description of food intake doesn't sound like you're logging your food.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Healthy doesn't really matter for Weightloss, you can still eat too much healthy food and gain weight. Now that you're at a desk job, you'll have to reevaluate how many calories you need per day and adjust to get a deficit again.
    I'd say cut your maintence level by about 250 a day for a slow and steady Weightloss.
    Also...use a food scale! For everything that's not a liquid, even oils and condiments.
  • lollypoppet
    lollypoppet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This is the same misconception I had. I piled on 13 pounds in 3 months. I quit smoking, so that didn't help, however I just felt like it was out of control...one day I woke up and all of my pants didn't fit - I had to go into my drawer and pull out the "fat pants"....I'd started running 3-5 days a week to get it under control, and nothing. I was absolutely beside myself angry and frustrated so I found out about MFP and here I am. I too would eat "healthy" - however in the last 2 1/2 weeks I've been on this site, I quickly learned "eating healthy" has absolutely nothing to do with it. I was absolutely floored to find out how actually unhealthy my "healthy" eating was - and not only that, the portion sizes are WAY smaller than one would think they are...for just about everything lol. Lack of education on Calories IN vs Calories OUT really was a wake up call, so that is my suggestion - track everything. I've lost 3 pounds in the last 3 weeks with exercise and food tracking. The experience has been liberating, none the less frustrating, but at least now knowing what the issue was has made a big difference. I'm starting to not feel like a fat sausage roll crammed up in my pants - so I say the fact you're here is the first step....good luck to you - you certainly can do it!!!

Thanks guys for this. I guess i didnt consider this because I'm still eating healthy foods, just clearly a little bit too much. I am glad I read this, I guess i just need to make my workouts just that little bit longer maybe and cut back on some of my snacking. I need ro re-evalauate. Wow nutrition is so important to this.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    you need to start weighing and logging your food otherwise you will be stuck in a loop.wondering why you are still gaining
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was heartbroken when I weighed out things like nuts and trail mix, a 'serving' is so tiny and sooooo many calories!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That^ plus cheese. I used to enjoy a plate full of cheese and crackers. Ugghhh. Yeap, mfp is an eye opener.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    That^ plus cheese. I used to enjoy a plate full of cheese and crackers. Ugghhh. Yeap, mfp is an eye opener.

I almost cried when I weighed out what an actual portion of cheese is.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is the change in your measurements over the past 6 weeks? That's the only way you really "know" if you've gotten bigger. Otherwise our mind & eyes can play crazy tricks on us!
  • lollypoppet
    lollypoppet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What is the change in your measurements over the past 6 weeks? That's the only way you really "know" if you've gotten bigger. Otherwise our mind & eyes can play crazy tricks on us!

i didnt measure :( infact i didnt take pictures..well i did but not regularly, but its in my clothes i can feel it :(