Too much Protein???

Options
HELP?!? I am noticing that I am over my protein limit EVERYDAY! Not by a little either, but by an average of 30-50 grams a day. I haven't been losing at the same rate as I used to either. Is protein to blame? My calorie intake is almost always below my goal, so I am curious what to do. Anyone have any advice or ideas with what my plan of attack should be?

Replies

• Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Protein is not a bad guy. If you're not losing, its due to something else besides eating more protein than the suggested MFP amount. Try meeting your caloric goal (instead of always under it) that MFP suggests since it already accounts for at least a 500 cal difference per day.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    protein is set really low on here for some reason (like 15%) I went in an manually changed mine to 30% (with 40% carbs and 30% fat) I find it really challenging to hit my protein goals now (and to stay under my carbs) but that's supposed to be a healthy / balanced ratio.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP's default setting of 15% calories from protein is rather low, and means you're getting WAY more carbs than you probably want for weight loss.
    I bumped mine up to 35% protein which brought carbs down to 35% and fat at 30%. That gives me more realistic goals to work towards.
    My home... goals... change goals... custom (change percentages) and save. Is how you can change your macro's yourself
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Change goals to 40/40/20-Protein/Carb/Fat. Protein default setting on MFP is way low....WAY LOW. Yes I will argue this till I am blue in the face.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't think too much protien is the cause. Just be sure to drink lots of water to help the kidneys flush it out of your body.Try eating more fiber. MFP sets the fiber goals to low, the average person is supposed to consume 25-35 grams of fiber per day. Plus, fiber flushes out fat. Be careful though, too much fiber may make you very gassy. So increase it gradually. It really hekps with weight loss and hunger.
  • pmansfield
    Options
    i also agree that the amount they tell you is really low.. i am trying to gain muscle so i have mine at 45% :)
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm regularly over on protein by alot, but always stay within my cal allowance and it has not done any harm. So I would look somewhere else. I'm going to manually change to 40/40/20 like the other poster said ....... then hopefully I won't get the red figures !!
  • nansidhe
    nansidhe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article from WebMD on the daily recommended protein for all age groups and both sexes, I hope it helps:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein

In sum, this is what they recommend:

Infants require about 10 grams a day.
    Teenage boys need up to 52 grams a day.
    Teenage girls need 46 grams a day.
    Adult men need about 56 grams a day.
    Adult women need about 46 grams a day.

One important exception is pregnant or lactating women, when the recommended intake rises to 71 grams of protein a day.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Change goals to 40/40/20-Protein/Carb/Fat. Protein default setting on MFP is way low....WAY LOW. Yes I will argue this till I am blue in the face.

I agree. You'll see much better results when you do this.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so very hard to advise. But first Protein is your friend and unless you have a medical issue more is better.

Sounds like you are at a Plateau. If you are at 1200 calories per day, go up about 100. If you are already about 1200, try going up or down 100. Make sure you are getting LOTS of Protein, Fiber and Water.

Change up the exercise routine and maybe even take measurements, sometimes you lose inches not pounds.

Also, if you are getting close to goal, you will need patience as it gets harder and harder to lose when you are that close to goal

Be Patient and Be Strong! Best of Luck!
  • Ruder94
    Ruder94 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom. My goals are changed and now I just have to take a look at what else I could be doing differently. Thanks again and best of luck to everyone :) You are all an inspiration!!!