Does this really burn 450 calories?

Options
So i came across this website consisting of 10 exercises and pretty sure these burn quite a lot of calories.

http://configuredunedin.co.nz/burn-450-calories-with-10-moves/

But it does not mention the weight at which this applies. Some of you are quite skilled here. Perhaps you could take a look and help me figure out what weight does this apply to?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe for an average weight of 150 pounds or something (seems to be the average weight on machines and stuff).

That's a lot of reps and a pretty long workout though. You'll notice the '*' next to '450 calories' in the first paragraph too - but it doesn't actually refer to anything in the article. Smart.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly. It's quite difficult and 450 is just an average. But most websites consider a 150 pound person when giving figures of calories burned?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    45 minutes of high intensity work for me at 5'5 and 174lbs will get me about 350 - 400 calories. So for me this is probably about right. But only for me. Your own stats and effort level will make a difference to the number.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It will take about 35 minutes, maybe just 30 not taking breaks between sets or exercises (you don't do anything between them). For me it would be around 150kcal and not more. That has nothing to do with how difficult or easy those exercises are for me but with the actual movement or lift associated with them. Calorie numbers stem from tracking my calories extremely carefully over a long time and comparing calories consumed vs. weight lost,. Each bit of additional weight loss is due to exercise. Exercise calories have in time been adjusted downwards to decreasing body weight. I have a good data base for myself as I only did these kind of exercises over months.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    That's useful, thanks guys
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No, not even close. One example: they list 75 calories for 3 sets of 5 burpees. The avg aerobic intensity for burpees is 7-8 METs (but that's doing them for like 30 seconds). Let's be generous and say 8 METs. For a 70 kg person (154lbs), that would be 560 calories per hour, if done continuously (which no one would ever do). That is about 9.3 calories per minute. How long would it take to do 5 burpees? 10 seconds? Again, let's be generous and say 15 seconds. That is 1/4 of 9.3 calories or about 2.3. times 3 sets and you have a whopping 7 calories---not even close to 75.

We would even make them Super Awesome Intense burpees and say a 10 MET intensity. You'd still be looking at less than 10 calories total.

4 of the 10 exercises are mostly static movements that will burn very few calories at all. Because of that and the time it would take to change exercises, I would put the average intensity for the total circuit at about 6 METs tops. So that means the only way one would burn 450 calories in 45 min is if you weighed 220 lbs or above--and still had the fitness level at that weight to push hard enough to average 6 METs.