Weight lose for the ex smoker!

Options
Hello!
Im proud to tell you i am now an ex smoker....12 week and 3 days! But quitting smoking really hasn't been kind to my waist line....
Im not eating any more than i was before i quit and i have put on a whole stone. Im even exercising more than before i quit because now i can run and breath!
Anyone got any tips... or any idea why im gaining this much weight?
Thanks!! xx

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this happens to you - I stopped smoking while I was losing weight - CICO applies to everybody - are you weighing and logging everything you eat (and drink)?
  • nspenj
    nspenj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Litterally logging everything.... Like i said ive put on a stone but im eating healthier than ive ever eaten before but i just seem to be getting bigger. I just dont understand it!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nspenj wrote: »
    Litterally logging everything.... Like i said ive put on a stone but im eating healthier than ive ever eaten before but i just seem to be getting bigger. I just dont understand it!

Logging yes but weighing everything on a food scale and picking the right entries from the database?
  • nspenj
    Options
    Im having the right sized portions and to be double sure ive actually made my own recipes on the food log. I wouldn't mind but i spend my life starving at the moment. I have sworn off all 'treat's and am having a plant based diet.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking!!! :)
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you an answer, when I quit smoking I did it cold turkey cause I found out I was prego with my youngest. But of course I gained weight cause I was prego. I hope you get it worked out :) proud of you for quitting smoking
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've heard that smoking SLIGHTLY speeds up your metabolism. I mean, maybe 100 calories at most.

I wouldn't say the quitting smoking has caused you to gain weight. Something else has to be off. A little bit of snacking when you get cravings and not accounting for it possibly.
  • nspenj
    Options
    Zella_11 wrote: »
    Congrats on quitting smoking!!! :)

Thanks!
  • nspenj
    Options
    I couldn't tell you an answer, when I quit smoking I did it cold turkey cause I found out I was prego with my youngest. But of course I gained weight cause I was prego. I hope you get it worked out :) proud of you for quitting smoking

Thanks! I was such a heavy smoker before so it was bloody hard!
  • nspenj
    Options
    I've heard that smoking SLIGHTLY speeds up your metabolism. I mean, maybe 100 calories at most.

I wouldn't say the quitting smoking has caused you to gain weight. Something else has to be off. A little bit of snacking when you get cravings and not accounting for it possibly.

I really am accounting for everything and as i said before ive sworn off any treats. Its just vegetables, fruit and meat. Ive just weighed myself actually and i haven't gained this week just stayed the same. Maybe this is my natural non smoker weight... :neutral:
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    nspenj wrote: »

Thanks! I was such a heavy smoker before so it was bloody hard!

I hear ya. It can be hard. When I quit I basically stopped hanging out with a lot of my friends. I was raised that you cannot resist temptation, you have to avoid it. So I avoided everyone I knew who smoked. It worked. Now I can be around it and not think twice about it
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You're avoiding answering if you're weighing your food. Logging it and creating recipes is not the same as knowing you're accurate by weighing food. Your appetite can have increased a little and subconsciously you're putting a little extra on your plate without even knowing it. Without weighing you don't know if this is the case.

That or you're magic.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on quitting smoking!! That's a tough one..so be proud of yourself!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Were you logging and weighing while smoking? You may think you are eating the same and may actually be eating more and not really realize it.
    Smoking can act as an appetite suppressant and you may be eating more and not realize it.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    When I quit 2 years ago I heard that a 5-10lb weight gain was normal due to slight metabolic changes and change in appetite. My doctor assured me that if you're eating right that goes away when your body adjusts and that was my experience. I gained about 5lbs the first month and by month 3 it was gone. The people who gain a ton are the ones who trade smoking for snacking.

Drink lots of water, choose healthy snacks, and maintain your calories. Your weight will be fine and your health will be better than ever. I was amazed at how my cardio endurance improved after just weeks of not smoking.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You haven't answered the question if you are weighing your foods, I suspect the answer is no. You can absolutely gain weight eating only fruits, veggies, and fresh meats as they still have calories, and if you consume more calories than you burn your weight will go up. You really need to invest in a food scale and use it for everything but liquids - use measuring cups etc for liquids. Smoking isn't a huge factor in this with exception quitting smoking tends to increase one's appetite. Kudos for quitting smoking!

ETA - when I quit smoking it had zero impact on my weight as I was actively weighing my food before consuming. I did notice my appetite had increased during this time, but then it went back to normal.