Australian Women: What's your height, weight, and size clothing?

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
edited June 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Also, have you found it weird getting used to your new size?

Me:

176 cm (5 ft 9 and a half inches)
63 kg
I'm size 10 or Small in most things, but that seems weird to me since I'm quite tall and that's not "small". :smiley:

(I started a new thread since the long thread is full of meaningless posts because of the lack of country sizing stated.)

Replies

• ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Unless you've got a massive fat to muscle ratio, <140# ? Yeh, that's going to put you in the 'small' category. Well, yeh, I'd probably actually put that in a 'medium' category but, since about twenty years ago, manufacturers have been 'adjusting' their sizing. (They actually do this on a somewhat regular basis and clothing sizing has probably been adjusted a couple of times in the past twenty to twenty-five years. I mean, seriously, a 0000 clothing size?????)

And remember, too, that your height has little to do with most aspects of clothes sizing.

I'm 5'6 1/2" and weigh 155# (about 72kg and only 168cm) and I'm wearing a size 8. (American sizing) But, when I was in tens, I had a pair of size 12 jeans I could barely squeeze into from about ten or fifteen years ago which are smaller (by about 7 - 10 cm) than my size tens! Go figger.

So... don't worry so much about scales or the clothing tags. Focus on your measurements and how you, personally, feel in your body. Are you fit? Feel healthy? Have the energy you need to feel strong throughout your day? Then you probably are right where you need to be. And... bear in mind, the muscle to fat ratio is critical in considering your body mass as a health factor. But, of course, only YOU know if you feel healthy or not.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm 172cms , 67kgs and wear a size 10 comfortably, i can squeeze into size 8 jeans, but I can only do them up if I lie on the bed lol

ETA: I've noticed the sizing here as changed over the last few years. It's like most of the clothes these days are made for flat chested hobbits :(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Unless you've got a massive fat to muscle ratio, <140# ? Yeh, that's going to put you in the 'small' category. Well, yeh, I'd probably actually put that in a 'medium' category but, since about twenty years ago, manufacturers have been 'adjusting' their sizing. (They actually do this on a somewhat regular basis and clothing sizing has probably been adjusted a couple of times in the past twenty to twenty-five years.I mean, seriously, a 0000 clothing size?????)

And remember, too, that your height has little to do with most aspects of clothes sizing.

I'm 5'6 1/2" and weigh 155# (about 72kg and only 168cm) and I'm wearing a size 8. (American sizing) But, when I was in tens, I had a pair of size 12 jeans I could barely squeeze into from about ten or fifteen years ago which are smaller (by about 7 - 10 cm) than my size tens! Go figger.

So... don't worry so much about scales or the clothing tags. Focus on your measurements and how you, personally, feel in your body. Are you fit? Feel healthy? Have the energy you need to feel strong throughout your day? Then you probably are right where you need to be. And... bear in mind, the muscle to fat ratio is critical in considering your body mass as a health factor. But, of course, only YOU know if you feel healthy or not.

Grrr that size 0 thing makes my blood boil! What, are these women a size nothing??

The only clothes that are size 0 to 000 here in Australia are babies clothing.

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 164 cm 5' 4"
    50 kgs (sometimes 49 kgs up to 52 kgs) 108-110 lbs

32" Chest
    23" Waist
    33" Hips
    !7" Thighs

Ah sizing....such a difficult thing to get a handle on depending on brand etc.

As of last week I'm now in size Aus 6 jeans (jeans west) down from a 7, so while I think they may cut a bit on the big side in the 2 or so years since I bought the 7's their sizing seems to have stayed true to form (if you get my drift) ;)

Size 6 in tops across tops and skirts too. Cue brand I think is cut on the smaller side and and my size 8 pencil skirt is now too loose to sit where it should.

I wear training Bra-lette type things for the 'almost there' girls cause I'm damned if I can find a proper bra that doesn't have padding/push-up/alteration gizmos inside the cup and for me after such a lot of weight lost and my age of 53 these poor little things are like soft poached eggs and just a slippery to contain and I'm too old to have a wardrobe malfunction.

@Orphia I totally get the head space of getting around smaller/changing size. I have recently undergone body changes where my weight has been stable (maintaining this 50 kg range up to 52 kg) for over 3+ years but my clothes bought for this weight are now TOO BIG....I don't no maybe I have done an unexpected/accidental recomp :o:open_mouth:

Your amazing hard work is changing your body so fast and it's normal even under slower conditions for the brain to lag behind the old body image....I know you'll be fine. You are extraordinary.

Cheers Karen <3

Ps: Sizing changing over the years is certainly a very definite thing. My God I was wearing men's clothing because I had to at my highest weight of 126 kgs now there are SO many items to choose from in women's clothing in the bigger sizes.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks heaps, dear Karen!
    I wear training Bra-lette type things for the 'almost there' girls cause I'm damned if I can find a proper bra that doesn't have padding/push-up/alteration gizmos inside the cup

I hear you, and ditto!

Need *some* support, but I'm proud of myself the way I am, and don't want any boob-boosting.
  • tanimari
    tanimari Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi im 169cms and weigh 67.5 kg and am a size 10. .. i generally go by how my clothes feel as i do weight training and have a bit of muscle so try not to let the scales bother me too much..
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    5'4 165cm
    70 kg
    Size 14 is perfect at times and too big at times, and size 12 is sometimes perfect and sometimes too tight.
    I want to get to 63kg where I was size 10-12 once upon a time many moons ago.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm not Australian but here goes...

1.63m, 63kg and I wear a size 10. I can squeeze into a size 8 depending on the make.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    168cm, 55kgs (last time I weighed anyway). I'm still figuring out my size but i'm now generally an 8 or "Small" but some brands i've been 6/Extra Small.

It's been very frustrating going into fitting rooms with 2-4 sizes of things :(
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have recently moved from Australia, but I'm 173cm, 70 kgs and size 10/12 depending on which body part (smaller on bottom) and the brand etc.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    164cm, approx 50kg and I'm generally a small/6-8 depending on where I shop. I find that most of the discount department stores where I mostly shop (Target, Kmart etc) have extreme vanity sizing so I'm not really sure what my true size is. I need to buy new jeans and I've been putting it off because I don't even know where to start! Any recs for reasonably priced jeans here?
  • SSB09040
    SSB09040 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    swift13b wrote: »
    164cm, approx 50kg and I'm generally a small/6-8 depending on where I shop. I find that most of the discount department stores where I mostly shop (Target, Kmart etc) have extreme vanity sizing so I'm not really sure what my true size is. I need to buy new jeans and I've been putting it off because I don't even know where to start! Any recs for reasonably priced jeans here?

Not sure where "here" is swift13b but in Australia, some of the DFO (direct factory outlet) stores in Melbourne have jeans at great prices, eg Just Jeans and Jeans West.

I'm 165 cm and 54-55 kg, size AU6-8 depending on brand.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian-Australian, living in Australia.

I'm 167 cm and 57 kg.

Despite the fact that I'm only 57 kg, I'm wearing Australian size 14s. Occasionally I'll find a 12 I can fit into. But there's no way on earth I can go smaller than that. In the small/medium/large sizing, I'm still in a large for most things but occasionally I'll squeeze myself into a medium.

So while I have lost 25 kg from my highest weight, I've dropped 1 size ... maybe 2. From a large-ish fitting 16 to a small-ish fitting 14.

I can't figure it out. The only thing I can think of is that I have wide hips and shoulders.
  • Machka9
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Incidentally, for the non-Australians here (Americans, Canadians, etc.) ... your size 8 is like a size 12 here in Australia. :)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm
  • Orphia
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

1.63m, 63kg and I wear a size 10. I can squeeze into a size 8 depending on the make.

@trjjoy What country's sizing is that?
  • Orphia
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Incidentally, for the non-Australians here (Americans, Canadians, etc.) ... your size 8 is like a size 12 here in Australia. :)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

Thank you! xo
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    165cm, 64kg, size 12.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

It's a US size 4 jeans and skirt that I can squeeze into.
  • Machka9
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

It's a US size 4 jeans and skirt that I can squeeze into.

Or in other words an Australian Size 8. :)
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm 173cm, around 65kg at the moment. Bust 86cm, Waist 70cm, Hips 98cm. I have clothing that ranges from AU 8-12. Generally small on top, medium on bottom.