What's been your longest plateau period?

Options
2»

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    Stall. Semantics. Everybody knows what the op meant...I find that to be the most annoying thing about mfp.

Really? I find the most annoying thing about MFP to be the 20+ threads per day about people saying they aren't losing weight just because they're not losing five pounds per week, how they're doing everything right but not losing weight, or when people expect to lose a pound every day. Like it was stated earlier, weight loss is not linear. Eight days isn't a plateau but it's not even a stall honestly. Sometimes things happen. If it continues, the ONLY way to "break through" is by eating less or weighing food for an accurate intake.

Then you should stop reading the boards...because there will be new people every day who don't yet know that weight loss isn't linear, who truly believe that they have to eat like rabbits, and who call blips plateaus.

'Splain Lucy? You've been here long enough :) I think mostly you like to berate others

Pardon me? Who have I ever berated?

You know what I mean!

I sincerely don't.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Stall. Semantics. Everybody knows what the op meant...I find that to be the most annoying thing about mfp.

Really? I find the most annoying thing about MFP to be the 20+ threads per day about people saying they aren't losing weight just because they're not losing five pounds per week, how they're doing everything right but not losing weight, or when people expect to lose a pound every day. Like it was stated earlier, weight loss is not linear. Eight days isn't a plateau but it's not even a stall honestly. Sometimes things happen. If it continues, the ONLY way to "break through" is by eating less or weighing food for an accurate intake.

Then you should stop reading the boards...because there will be new people every day who don't yet know that weight loss isn't linear, who truly believe that they have to eat like rabbits, and who call blips plateaus.

'Splain Lucy? You've been here long enough :) I think mostly you like to berate others

Right up thread where you called me a smartass maybe?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

You know what I mean!

I sincerely don't.

Wow, you don't huh?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    That's berating these days? Well, I apologize.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am now at 7 weeks. I'm getting pissed about it, too. I think of all the meals I haven't eaten, all the candy I didn't enjoy, and wonder why?! I am going to hold out, though. I've worked to hard to give up now. Although I will probably put my fist through a wall if I don't lose something soon.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    AmyWebb2 wrote: »
    I am now at 7 weeks. I'm getting pissed about it, too. I think of all the meals I haven't eaten, all the candy I didn't enjoy, and wonder why?! I am going to hold out, though. I've worked to hard to give up now. Although I will probably put my fist through a wall if I don't lose something soon.

Amy! Amy! Amy! Check this out! Lol

k80olpjwp5py.jpg
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I don't actually find it all that annoying which is why I have the post count I do and why I clarified that the OP is experiencing a "blip" instead of a plateau. I like to inform people that they don't have to eat 1200 calories, that they shouldn't be discouraged if they don't lose weight at the same rate every week or even see a gain or stall for a while, and that eating "clean" isn't necessary for weight loss. You know, semantics and all.
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I sometimes purposely create a plateau after scales don't change in 7 days. I'd eat maintenance for 2 weeks, gain a couple of pounds or so ( feels awesome BTW!) and then go on with the weight loss. It seems to always resume itself without problems and then drop below the starting one.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My longest was almost 6 months. As others have said, 8 days isn't a plateau. While I know many will define a plateau as a period where they are not losing nor gaining weight regardless of what they are doing, that isn't really a plateau. A true plateau is where you are eating fewer calories than you are burning and still not losing and when you eat more than you burn and not gain.

When I had my longest plateau, there was nothing I could do to stop it. After about 2 months, I switched to a version of IF that was actually a big surplus overall (but a huge deficit at times and then a huge surplus other days that ended up netting as a huge surplus). I did that for 6 weeks. The day-to-day fluctuations grew much larger during that time, but there wasn't any sustained gain... because that is what a plateau is. After returning to a normal small daily deficit, I went just over 2 months longer without a loss. Then it ended with a whoosh where I lost several lbs. in a few days, which ended up being a sustained loss. I have no idea what exactly ended the plateau and triggered the whoosh as I did not change anything immediately before the whoosh.

On another shorter plateau, I was able to trigger a whoosh by eliminating nearly all carbs. I consumed only protein powder for almost 2 weeks. Use at your own risk, as this can stress some body functions.