Not enough calories? How do I know?

Options
How do I know whether I’m getting enough calories? I’ve heard people saying not eating enough calories can slow your weight loss...

My activity level is ‘lightly active’ but more specifically, I have a desk job, but do 45 minute HIIT classes 3 times a week, and run 5-7km, 3 times a week.

Do these macros look reasonable?
---

34/F/5'1" | CW 166 | 35% BF | Lightly active

* 1265 kcal Goal, a 26% deficit. (770 min, 1710 max)
* 25g Carbohydrates
* 100g Protein (65g min, 107g max)
* 85g Fat (30g min, 134g max)

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Calories is over 1,200 = good.
    Carb is under 130g = bad.
    Protein is over 60g = bad.
    Fat is over 65g = bad.
    These should be your macro targets on a 1,200 calorie diet:
    Carb 150g (50% of calories)
    Protein 60g (20% of calories)
    Fat 40g (30% of calories)
  • jenniswylie
    jenniswylie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can you explain why though? I used this Keto calculator (and I'm just learning about the balance of good calories). It was suggested that higher protein would be more beneficial?
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are you purposefully going keto? If you are I'd recommend posting this same question in a low carber/keto group. I don't think the other answerer is giving you the response you need.

I can tell you a couple of quick things:
    1. eating too little won't slow weight loss but it will leave you malnourished.
    2. Most people recommend at least 1200 a day for a woman, myfitnesspal won't let you log less than 1000 calories without telling you off.
    3. When lowering carbs you need to increase your other macros: higher protein is good for stayin full but higher fat is recommended as you're changing it to your main fuel source.
  • jenniswylie
    Options
    I'm not purposefully going Keto, but I haven't lost any weight sticking to the macros MFP has provided. I increased my exercise, and have been eating low carb - have not lost a single pound in 6 weeks. So I'm wondering if I need to switch up what I'm eating... I have yet to find what works for me.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost you haven't been eating too few calories
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I'm not purposefully going Keto, but I haven't lost any weight sticking to the macros MFP has provided. I increased my exercise, and have been eating low carb - have not lost a single pound in 6 weeks. So I'm wondering if I need to switch up what I'm eating... I have yet to find what works for me.

Are you weighing your food? It's likely you're eating more than you think?
  • dancing_daisy
    edited June 2016
    Options
    if you are stayin to or under you calorie goal then changing your macros wont help. Its more likely, and common reason for not losing weight, that you're misjudging portion sizes which leads to miscalculation of calories. Do you weight what you eat? Or do you judge by eye?

Nothing leads to weight loss except a calorie deficit. Keto or low carb can be beneficial to some people as the extra protein keeps you fuller longer and the lack of carbs can prevent drops in blood glucose and prevent cravings. But it doesn't make you lose weight faster, initial loss is water, and its not a quick fix. It takes time to switch your bodies fuel source (including an induction period that feels like flu). But if you have other health benefits from doing it then it can be worth it.

I'd recommend examining what you're eating more closely before changing things up to something like keto.

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Well I was on 1200 calories right up until December of last year. I was not satisfied and was not losing weight. Someone suggested to up my calories to 1500...so I did! I was willing to try anything at that point. Since January I have lost 32lbs. It worked for me.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do Keto, quiet successfully, under the guidance of my doctor and your numbers pretty good except that for Keto you should considering switching your fat and protein numbers.

Also, I had the same issue with not losing weight doing straight CICO and my blood work numbers were getting really out of wack (bad blood sugar, my cholesterol was good but could be better, things like that) and I hate to fight, I mean FIGHT for every single pound. And holy cow if I ate even a couple calories over.... I would gain weight and have to fight all over again. My body seems to really do much better on Keto and I find that my weight loss has been easier and constant. Please be aware though that this WoE shouldn't be used a "quick fix" to lose weight. If you are doing this, its best to consider this a lifestyle change and to plan on sticking with this for the long haul because if you are doing it to only lose weight as soon as you go back to the stand half of your diet being carbs and lowered fat, you are likely to gain weight (as per my doctor who is monitoring my progress).

I would also suggest joining on of the Keto boards to get more advise from people who have been on this WoE for much longer.

• jenniswylie
    Options
    Well I was on 1200 calories right up until December of last year. I was not satisfied and was not losing weight. Someone suggested to up my calories to 1500...so I did! I was willing to try anything at that point. Since January I have lost 32lbs. It worked for me.

This is what I'm wondering? I'm afraid to up it, incase I start gaining, but I'm working my butt off so I don't think I can eat any less!

I'm not weighing my food - I need to invest in a proper scale. But I am measuring everything I can (i.e. 1/2 cup of mixed berries, or 1/4 cup yogurt +package nutritional info etc.) I'm trying to eat as "clean" as possible - so most of my food is coming from fruit, veggies, eggs, chicken, fish. Anything packaged - like tuna, yogurt, almond milk - I take the nutritional info on the packaging.

I will say, over the last 6 weeks there has been the occasional treat, but I tracked them (I'm not about lying to myself) - so I had an ice cream on the weekend - it's accounted for. But the "treats" are not overwhelming, and only put me over my MFP macro goals (but not calorie goals) twice out of 4 times. Could that seriously be holding me back?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

This is what I'm wondering? I'm afraid to up it, incase I start gaining, but I'm working my butt off so I don't think I can eat any less!

I'm not weighing my food - I need to invest in a proper scale. But I am measuring everything I can (i.e. 1/2 cup of mixed berries, or 1/4 cup yogurt +package nutritional info etc.) I'm trying to eat as "clean" as possible - so most of my food is coming from fruit, veggies, eggs, chicken, fish. Anything packaged - like tuna, yogurt, almond milk - I take the nutritional info on the packaging.

I will say, over the last 6 weeks there has been the occasional treat, but I tracked them (I'm not about lying to myself) - so I had an ice cream on the weekend - it's accounted for. But the "treats" are not overwhelming, and only put me over my MFP macro goals (but not calorie goals) twice out of 4 times. Could that seriously be holding me back?

This is why your aren't losing. You're eating more than you think.
  • jenniswylie
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    I do Keto, quiet successfully, under the guidance of my doctor and your numbers pretty good except that for Keto you should considering switching your fat and protein numbers.

Also, I had the same issue with not losing weight doing straight CICO and my blood work numbers were getting really out of wack (bad blood sugar, my cholesterol was good but could be better, things like that) and I hate to fight, I mean FIGHT for every single pound. And holy cow if I ate even a couple calories over.... I would gain weight and have to fight all over again. My body seems to really do much better on Keto and I find that my weight loss has been easier and constant. Please be aware though that this WoE shouldn't be used a "quick fix" to lose weight. If you are doing this, its best to consider this a lifestyle change and to plan on sticking with this for the long haul because if you are doing it to only lose weight as soon as you go back to the stand half of your diet being carbs and lowered fat, you are likely to gain weight (as per my doctor who is monitoring my progress).

I would also suggest joining on of the Keto boards to get more advise from people who have been on this WoE for much longer.

Ugh I hate fighting for every pound! It's so much work to get rid on one, and then one bite of something "off plan" feels like 5lbs gained. It's been frustrating. You look like you're doing amazing! Congrats! I'm going to do some research and make sure I choose the right path before committing to Keto - I'm not sure what will work for me, but what I'm doing isn't doing much.
  • jenniswylie
    Options
    I will say - I'm losing inches, but not weight. But even that seems to have plateaued recently.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love that flow chart.
  • jenniswylie
    Options
    Thank you all - I will buy a food scale.

I would still really be interested in understanding how one determines if they do in fact need to be eating more calories than MFP is suggesting.
  • dancing_daisy
    Options
    This is a great example of how far out you can go with cup measuring:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10402111/this-is-why-we-always-tell-you-to-use-grams-and-not-cups/p1

That's just pasta, if you're weighing higher calorie food like cheese or nuts like this you could be adding more than just the 89 calories in the pasta example though. Doing that 3 times a day 7 days a week could claim your entire deficit.
    If you're determined to up your calories to see the effect just make sure to spend some time working out what your maintenance calories are and dont go over them. That way you wont gain weight.
  • dancing_daisy
    Options

I would still really be interested in understanding how one determines if they do in fact need to be eating more calories than MFP is suggesting.

Weight loss calculators like this: http://www.weightloss-calculator.net/

Not saying thats the best one but it shows what you have to consider to decide your calorie intake.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

You can eat more if you want to, fueling your workouts is important but that is it. Eating more calories does not speed up weight loss.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/comment-page-1
  • jenniswylie
    Options
    I'm in a weird spot at the moment, where I feel like I'm eating all my calories - but I'm not really hungry, so eating more feels counter-intuitive. (but then, I don't have a food scale, so maybe I'm already eating more.)