Low Calorie Restaurant choice suggestions!!? Please share!

Options
Hello everyone....I posted this a few minutes ago but it disappeared..???
Anyway....I ALWAYS prefer to make my own food, to know what exactly is in it...but I am going to dinner with a friend, and was wondering what your FAVORITE dishes to order at the major restaurant chains are????

I know they have their nutrition info online, but I thought some of you may have some FAB ideas!! :)

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If they have the option, I will always try to stick with a grilled chicken Caesar salad without the cheese or croutons. Or if they serve chicken, I will ask for a grilled chicken breast (no sauce) with a side of vegetables and a dinner salad. Most restaurants will have these choices, but others get more challenging. Other tips are to go with coleslaw instead of potatoes. Ask for no bread or bun with your order. Don't be afraid to ask for substitutions and drink plenty of water. :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    A little tips for you going out. It helps no matter where you are going:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/atomdraco/view/diet-tip-eating-out-75769
  • karaeb621
    karaeb621 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    a lot of places are starting to come out with low cal options listed in their menus. Applebees has some great stuff that is all labeled under 550 calories
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    IMHO, even the worst restaurants can be made healthy. First, the less "junk" on your plate-- i.e. gravy, cheese sauce, breadings, etc., the better. Opt for grilled meats seasoned with only low or no cal seasonings (like lean sirloin steak and grilled chicken or fish-- but make sure you ask if the steaks are basted in butter first, because a lot of restaurants do that), paired alongside some kind of veggie (steamed or small salad is best IMO). If you stick with "whole" foods versus foods like crazy pasta dishes that are doused in sauces which have ingredients that you may never know, you can always count your calories with ease. Even mashed potatoes are questionable, because if the nutrition info isn't available, you don't really know how they make them. Sour cream? Butter? Cream cheese? There are a lot of ?????s when you go with "unknown" foods. If you aren't watching carbs (I am, so I couldn't eat this), go for a plain baked potato with the fixings on the side. This way you know how much of whatever is going on your potato. It's easy to portion a tablespoon of butter, but if the potato comes from the kitchen with the butter on and half melted, it's really hard to tell how much they use.

I've managed to make this work for me. Hell, I even went to The Cheesecake Factory recently and walked out eating dinner AND half a slice of cheesecake for 800 calories (certainly not low, but considering that many of their dishes pack well over 1000 calories each (and 1300+ per slice of cheesecake, ugh!), it's not bad. Anything is possible as long as you're informed!

Good luck!
  • pricetm83
    pricetm83 Posts: 49
    Options
    A little tips for you going out. It helps no matter where you are going:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/atomdraco/view/diet-tip-eating-out-75769

This is FANTASTIC! I am going to print this out and keep it on the fridge for the next time I have to go out for food somewhere. :)
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    TGI Fridays Shrimp Key West is delicious! I'm pretty sure it's high in sodium, of course, but it's one of their low calorie options--they have several.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Share with whoever you go with? Or tell yourself only half! Then to keep from eating it think of how thankful you will be to have the other half again tomorrow =].
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I also have an orange, apple or banana before I head to a restaurant... long with a big glass of water. That takes the hunger edge off and makes it so much easier to make smart choices.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    im so glad alot of restaurants are posting nutrition info , on the menu, such as applebees, ihop, friendlys, and ruby tuesday, but only for the lower calorie items like less than 700, which is fine with me.

A fave of mine is creole catch or herb crusted tilapia at ruby tuesday with side of green beans and mashed cauliflower.