Need your guys' expertise! Going out for wings tonight...

Options
anabita15
anabita15 Posts: 22 Member
Hi all!

So I'm going out to a wing joint tonight to celebrate a friend's new job, and I've been really good at sticking to my diet lately so I don't mind treating myself a bit. However, I really don't want to go crazy and wind up with 2000cal worth of wings in one sitting. Unfortunately, the place I'm going to (St. Louis Bar & Grill in Toronto) - despite being a huge chain - has absolutely no nutrition info online and I'm at a total loss.

I know the following:

1) I will be getting bone-in rather than boneless.
2) I will get dry rub seasoning rather than sauced (either lemon pepper, Cajun, or Frank's Red Hot rub).
3) There are roughly 10 wings per lb, so I'll stick with the 1lb order (the smallest they have available).

Nothing I've found on the internet has clarified the values here for me - it ranges from 50cal/wing to 100! That means I'm either eating 500cal or 1000... That's no small difference!

Do you guys have any guesses what I'm looking at here??

Thanks so much! :)

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings are in the database. Just estimate for the rub, which shouldn't be much. Also don't use ranch and blue cheese because those have calories.
  • anabita15
    Options
    Chicken wings are in the database. Just estimate for the rub, which shouldn't be much. Also don't use ranch and blue cheese because those have calories.

I guess I wasn't sure about using what's in the database because restaurants always seem to find a way to pack extra calories into ordinary foods. :/
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    anabita15 wrote: »

I guess I wasn't sure about using what's in the database because restaurants always seem to find a way to pack extra calories into ordinary foods. :/

No matter what it's all going to be a guess but it's good to have a base to start.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'd look at a big chain that has something similar and go off that (much will be in the MFP database) it won't be totally accurate, but you'll be in the ballpark.

Have fun!
  • anabita15
    Options

No matter what it's all going to be a guess but it's good to have a base to start.

Do you think I should opt for a half rack of ribs instead?

• Chef_Barbell
    Options

Do you think I should opt for a half rack of ribs instead?

Eat what you like and estimate as best as you can. It's just one meal that's not going to make or break.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If they are breaded before they are fried, they will be on the higher end of the calorie range. If they are not breaded, they will be on the lower end of the range. Call today before you go and ask if their wings are breaded or not. That will give you a better guestimate.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    On one hand, maybe Buffalo Wild Wings nutrition might be close?

On the other hand, some of the BWW Cals seem higher than they should.
  • anabita15
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    On one hand, maybe Buffalo Wild Wings nutrition might be close?

On the other hand, some of the BWW Cals seem higher than they should.

Looks like 10 wings with a lemon pepper dry rub is roughly 670 calories, which sounds correct by my estimations! Thanks for the advice! :)
  • anabita15
    Options
    frogmommy wrote: »
    If they are breaded before they are fried, they will be on the higher end of the calorie range. If they are not breaded, they will be on the lower end of the range. Call today before you go and ask if their wings are breaded or not. That will give you a better guestimate.

Good call! Doing that now :)