I have intolerance of fatty food due to gallbladder issues!

Options
asmaa_zeko
asmaa_zeko Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I do need help! I get sick, so I decide not to eat fatty food and be on a low fat diet. Then I get hungry, I forget and I eat whatever! why am I doing this to myslef? I started a low fat diet a week ago and I felt good, yet I had two fatty meals in this week. The result was hours of pain attack and sickness! What do I do to stop eating junk and be healthy! I need help!

Replies

• songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago, I know what you're going through.

Try to plan your meals in advance. Don't wait until you're hungry to choose what you're going to eat, you will be more likely to make bad choices.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately when it comes to not eating foods due to a medical condition, all you can do is be prepared and then just do it. Unlike giving up types of food as a personal choice, you have two choices, a) eat it and be sick or b) don't eat it. There isn't really a "moderation" option.

You can, however, increase your chances of success.

Plan your meals - always have an option available before you're hungry. Even if it isn't the most "healthiest" option, having a low-fat option will mean you at least won't be suffering for hours later. Personally, I would be working on just avoiding fatty foods at first (rather than worrying about calories or how "healthy" it is) and then fine tune from there.

And when it does come time to eat, think before starting - is this going to make me sick? Am I going to enjoy this now but hate it later?
  • Sugar_Slayer
    Sugar_Slayer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Been there. Have your gallbladder taken out and you won't get sick from fatty foods any more. But I agree, plan ahead as much as possible.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Been there. Have your gallbladder taken out and you won't get sick from fatty foods any more. But I agree, plan ahead as much as possible.

Same. Schedule an appointment for a surgical consult if you need it taken out. It's a pretty routine surgery (for most people). Life is so much better with it gone!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder pain is one of the worst pains that I have ever experienced--rivals childbirth. The threat of that was honestly enough to make me stop eating any of the kinds of foods that *might* trigger another attack. (This in itself was a diet regimen for me--whether it's smart or not is debatable...) Consult a doctor and get that thing removed!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Been there. Having it removed was way better than pain, though it's taken me a long time to master eating fatty foods again without... issues.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat at maintenance for two weeks while you get used to adding more carbs and low fat proteins: pretzels, ham, turkey, shrimp, rice, fruit, fat free popcorn, toast and honey or jam, pita chips, black beans and tortillas.
  • sasa31329
    sasa31329 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out about four years ago. The pain is gone but I still have plenty of digestive issues. My best advice is protein, protein, protein! Grilled or broiled meats, nuts, eggs and leafy green veggies. Those will keep you full throughout the day and no tummy pains. Hang in there, your body gives you signals. Listen to them :)
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I had gall bladder probs it was so bad I lived off grilled chicken breasts, quorn sausages, salad and jacket potatoes until my gallbladder was removed, now I can eat fatty foods again sometimes have issues if I over indulge PMSL although I still can't eat certain things like normal sausages as they make me feel sick :s
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    My MIL has this, she has had it for years and so is very adept at knowing what she can and can't eat, so it doesn't limit her that badly. I think it just takes time to learn how to work round it. You would think cake was off limits, but for her last birthday we made her a "fatless sponge" (not fat free, it has eggs, but no butter, so very low in fat - it's the kind of sponge that's used for Swiss rolls - makes a pretty nice layer cake but it is a bit tricky!) She uses a lot of turkey, venison, tops desserts with fat free yoghurt instead of cream, doesn't add cheese on top of things and so on. You can make white sauce with cornflour instead of wheat flour, so you don't need butter - there are all sorts of tricks.