weight gain struggle.

Options
I am finding it extremely hard to gain weight and maintain it. I'm on a very high protein, high carb diet plus take mass gainer, test boosters, amino acids, and creatine. No matter how much I lift or eat I cannot get above or stay above 175. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You're not getting enough calories. Are you logging your calories?
  • Patrycjajedraszczyk92
    Patrycjajedraszczyk92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What is ur REE (resting energy expenditure) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)??

You need to work that out first and x 20% that's how much calorie a you wanna be consuming.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is ur REE (resting energy expenditure) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)??

You need to work that out first and x 20% that's how much calorie a you wanna be consuming.

20% over tdee is a bit aggressive for many people, especially if there is a goal to minimize fat gains. Op, the most simple answer is to add fats to your diet. They are very caloric and can make it easier to add calories or you can drink some calories.

By chance, how many calories are you eating? Also, below is a good thread full of foods and techniques that can help yoi gain weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Calculate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (aka how many calories you burn in 1 day). Go on google and get an estimate. It will factor in your age, height, weight, workouts, activity levels, etc. 1 lb = 3500 calories, so to gain 1 lb, you need to eat 3500 calories. If we divide that by 7 days, that's a surplus of 500 calories OVER your TDEE daily.

You need to eat your TDEE + 500 calories, CONSISTENTLY. Weight your food every day, track calories every day, and do this for months (it takes 3 months for ~10lbs of gain). I should be able to see your myfitnesspal log and see every morsel of food and liquid you put in your mouth. If you go over TDEE+500 calories, the gains will become fat as you can only build so much muscle at once.

If you are not gaining weight after a few weeks, increase your calorie amount by +100 and re-assess next week. Repeat until you are gaining 1lb per week. Don't go past 1lb per week (too much fat increase instead of muscle). Remember, slow and steady wins this race. Those who are underweight tend to overestimate how much they eat, and those who are overweight tend to underestimate how much they eat.

Type of diet doesn't matter in terms of weight gain or loss (i.e. paleo, atkins, keto, high protein high fat, high protein high carb, etc. etc.). What dictates bodyweight gains and losses is calorie amount. Cheers my friend!
  • bdonnelly1994
    bdonnelly1994 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    You're not getting enough calories. Are you logging your calories?
    I am logging. I'm getting over 3500 calories daily and over 100 grams of carbs and protein spread out through out the day.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you aren't gaining at 3500, then you probably need to bump it to 3750. Do you have an active job or do you do a lot of cardio?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you aren't gaining at 3500, then you probably need to bump it to 3750. Do you have an active job or do you do a lot of cardio?

^^Exactly. depending on your level of activity, you might have to adjust caloric intake (i.e. 6 days/week PPLx program with manual labor job vs 3days/week SL/SS program with desk job).
    If you aren't gaining, add some calories, and weight yourself in a week. Keep adding until you are gaining 1lb per week for a regular bulk.
  • bdonnelly1994
    Options
    Typically little to no cardio, I have an extremely active job (pipe fitter) so I'm always lifting/carrying/sweating/walking
  • bdonnelly1994
    Options
    Thanks for the input I shall do my best to up my macros and see what it does for me
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for the input I shall do my best to up my macros and see what it does for me

What is your current macro set up (in grams)?
  • bdonnelly1994
    Options
    1etki1fn68tw.png

• psuLemon
    Options
    1etki1fn68tw.png

You can add more fats. They are calorie dense. You can also drink some calories (like chocolate milk) or incorporate more calorie dense foods like the ones in this thread.

• Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do you have a specific/semi specific meal plan that you follow in a format like

Meal 1=

Meal 2=

Meal 3=

Meal 4=

I analyze a lot of nutrition plans and when I see the specific foods eaten I notice a lot areas for improvement. I'm happy to help.
  • bdonnelly1994
    Options
    Do you have a specific/semi specific meal plan that you follow in a format like

Meal 1=

Meal 2=

Meal 3=

Meal 4=

I analyze a lot of nutrition plans and when I see the specific foods eaten I notice a lot areas for improvement. I'm happy to help.

Well dinner is always different.
    Breakfast: English muffin, cliff builders bar
    Snack: Greek yogurt, cliff builders bar, fat free pudding
    Lunch: tuna, vegetable organic chips, mixed nuts, fat free cheeze it's, pineapple.
    Snack: lean body whey protein