Help! How do I focus on a diet in shared household?

I've recently been made redundant and so have found myself back at home with little to contribute financially. This is making it difficult to stay focused on eating the right things as I can't afford much independently until I start working again, plus my family have meals together and I'm the only one dieting.
Any tips on how to stay focused and healthy on a very tight budget? Ive not been as good as i could be so any workouts I can do without equipment or diet tips would help.
Thanks

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I've recently been made redundant and so have found myself back at home with little to contribute financially. This is making it difficult to stay focused on eating the right things as I can't afford much independently until I start working again, plus my family have meals together and I'm the only one dieting.
    Any tips on how to stay focused and healthy on a very tight budget? Ive not been as good as i could be so any workouts I can do without equipment or diet tips would help.
    Thanks

Weight loss is about having a calorie deficit. Eat smaller portions, eat more lower calorie foods like vegetables, drink water or unsweetened teas. Use a smaller plate. Log everything as accurately as you can. Use a food scale to weigh your food.
    Offer to cook for the family.
    Beans, lentils, oatmeal, potatoes, tuna, eggs, carrots, onions, garlic, chicken, canned tomato are basic inexpensive foods you can do a lot with. Soup is a good dollar stretcher.
    There are tone of free no equipment workouts on you tube. Walking is free.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Eat smaller portions of whatever the rest of the family is eating, and add in walking if you need help staying under your calorie target. That's what I do, anyway, and it seems to be working.
  • richelle204
    richelle204 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks @Lounmoun, it's all very obvious when it's written down. I suppose I needed a push because I find it too easy to blame my lack of progress on my circumstances.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    edited June 2016
    Offer to cook meals so you can control the amount of calorie dense extras such as oil, butter, cream that's added to food.

Eat smaller portions, save some of your dinner for a snack the next day if you get given a large serving.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    saires_au wrote: »
    Offer to cook meals so you can control the amount of calorie dense extras such as oil, butter, cream that's added to food.

This was exactly what I was going to say. And it's a win-win for everyone. You are contributing your labor to the family AND you can control the food you eat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Thanks @Lounmoun, it's all very obvious when it's written down. I suppose I needed a push because I find it too easy to blame my lack of progress on my circumstances.

Good for you to recognize this. It's the classic trap that's so easy to fall into. Now is t h e time to keep focused on your health goals. It sounds like you should have lots for time to work out!
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    I'm the only one dieting in my house, every week my parents usually come to stay for a couple of days to help me out with childcare so we all eat the same things.
    I will eat the same evening meal just in my measured portions. I also help with the prep , which means I get to weigh everything and use the recipe builder function. Other meals I have more control over.
    I would definitely get your hand in the cooking so you can be aware of what's going in to the meal.
    When I have had my in laws stay with me previously I just cooked as normal and took smaller portions and bulked out on veggies.
    You can do this x
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks

Are you trying to lose weight?

Losing weight doesn't have to be eating 50 calorie, $30 organic free trade Whole Foods chia and kale salads for dinner.

You don't need to deprive yourself on overpriced gimmicks.

Lots of good advice above.