Brown rice at Chipotle

Options
I was just a nearby Chipotle and I was delighted to see they now offer brown rice! I'm not sure if this is some trial thing or if it will be permanent, but it's awesome news. I asked if they also had whole wheat tortillas now, no luck on that one. Anyway, I'm psyched about the brown rice. Yes, I'm a dork.

Replies

• jimenez4
    jimenez4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG... i hope is everywhere i LOVE chipotle and havent had it in awhile. I will have to check out my local chipotle! Thanks for the info
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Really, that would be so cool
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    mmmm. chipotle!!! i'm too scared to go there since I started this! hahaha let us know how good it is :P
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It was good. I splurged and got a burrito today. I usually get a bowl. With the brown rice, it makes perfectly balanced meal (well, other than the sodium bomb).
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    mmmmm Chipotle! I had one of those briefly when I lived in Arizona, wish we had em in the south!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I saw that last time I was in, but got white rice anyway. Because Im silly
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    We just got a Chipotle here in Roanoke, VA. Haven't been there yet, but I would really like to! :drinker:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is overrated and pretty much taste nowhere near as good as white. The white lie is fiber. A serving of brown rice has 1g of fiber. Whoopie. I eat around 2 cups of white asian rice every day. I can eat all kinds but brown has least amount of taste.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Brown rice is overrated and pretty much taste nowhere near as good as white. The white lie is fiber. A serving of brown rice has 1g of fiber. Whoopie. I eat around 2 cups of white asian rice every day. I can eat all kinds but brown has least amount of taste.

I much prefer the taste and texture of brown rice versus it's flavorless stripped counterpart. I bet you probably also think Budweiser tastes good. :laugh:

Flavor issues aside, brown rice has less of a glycemic load.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options

I'd rather have brown or wild rice any day. I find them to have MUCH more flavor than white rice.

Each to his own, I guess. :smile:
  • wildon883r
    Options

I much prefer the taste and texture of brown rice versus it's flavorless stripped counterpart. I bet you probably also think Budweiser tastes good. :laugh:

Rice much like Tofu is pretty much without flavor and absorbs the flavors combined with it. Brown rice has the bran and doesn't absorb squat. It taste like boxed rice. Uncle Bens and so forth. I've been eating white steamed rice daily for over 25 years. In fact i've ate most varieties, basamati, etc, etc. They try to sell brown rice and whole grain pasta as the healthier choice when in fact they are NO better or worse. Another factoid? No bread made is whole grain. One of the best tasting white rices is Botan for those looking.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Hey I love this news. . .Chipotle is such a great place to eat!
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    @wildon883r I'm sure we're all very happy that you love your white rice. This thread was just me letting people who like brown rice know that Chipotle now has it. Perhaps if you wrote some letters to them or staged some protests or boycotts you can convince them to stop serving brown rice, since you feel so strongly about the big brown rice conspiracy. Maybe you should create a documentary and spread the word, before it's too late and we all die of bran poisoning.

But for now, the Chipotle near my work has brown rice (don't worry - they still also have white rice available). I, for one, am happy about that, because I'll take brown rice over white rice every time.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Flavor issues aside, brown rice has less of a glycemic load.

Right there with you, I've never liked white rice, you might as well eat paste. And Budwieser pleh. Clydesdale pi$$!!
    Brown rice also has vitamin e and the fiber slows the uptake of the sugars, though yeah it is still carbs and should probably still be avoided unless its a heavy exercise day, but the taste? sorry its a win on that one! Faaar supirior to paste!

oh and yea the sodium negates any fiber improvements Chipoltle may have made. :sad:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Is it still flavored with cilantro and lime?
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Is it still flavored with cilantro and lime?

yes i believe it was. i can double check for sure next time
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    We just got a Chipotle here in Roanoke, VA. Haven't been there yet, but I would really like to! :drinker:
    I'm from the area and went to the one at Towers. It was good, but if you aren't careful the cals can add up quickly. I got the burrito bowl to cut down on the cals as the tortilla itself has 290 cals. The wait is long. Not a place to go for a date night.
  • wildon883r
    Options
    @wildon883r I'm sure we're all very happy that you love your white rice. This thread was just me letting people who like brown rice know that Chipotle now has it. Perhaps if you wrote some letters to them or staged some protests or boycotts you can convince them to stop serving brown rice, since you feel so strongly about the big brown rice conspiracy. Maybe you should create a documentary and spread the word, before it's too late and we all die of bran poisoning.

But for now, the Chipotle near my work has brown rice (don't worry - they still also have white rice available). I, for one, am happy about that, because I'll take brown rice over white rice every time.

The whole issue is about promoting brown rice (from a personal or business perspective) as a healthy alternative to white rice which in fact it is not. This is a nutrition message board therefore i am providing information based on fact. With that being said people here and on a so called health kick might consider brown rice a healthy alternative to white when its not. I just don't want people to think that choosing brown rice is going to make any measurable difference at all compared to white rice in there dietary intake is all. People think whole grain cereal or bread is healthy. Fact? There is no whole grain bread or cereal for that matter. I've ate wheat out of a grain hopper. That's whole wheat :D Basamati rice is very pricey and i don't think it tastes good although i can eat it.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    The whole issue is about promoting brown rice (from a personal or business perspective) as a healthy alternative to white rice which in fact it is not. This is a nutrition message board therefore i am providing information based on fact. With that being said people here and on a so called health kick might consider brown rice a healthy alternative to white when its not. I just don't want people to think that choosing brown rice is going to make any measurable difference at all compared to white rice in there dietary intake is all. People think whole grain cereal or bread is healthy. Fact? There is no whole grain bread or cereal for that matter. I've ate wheat out of a grain hopper. That's whole wheat :D Basamati rice is very pricey and i don't think it tastes good although i can eat it.

Now you're spreading misinformation. Check your facts.

There are plenty of whole grain breads on the market. Do some research. Read the labels. Whole grain bread is different than bread made from flour or enriched flour.

Sounds like you clearly prefer the taste of the white/bleached/processed/enriched foods better than their more wholesome counterparts. That's your prerogative. But don't try to fool yourself or others into thinking they're just as good nutritionally.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    People think whole grain cereal or bread is healthy. Fact? There is no whole grain bread or cereal for that matter.

From the Nutrition section of the Mayo Clinic web site :

"All types of grains are good sources of complex carbohydrates, various vitamins and minerals, and are naturally low in fat. But grains that haven't been refined — called whole grains — are even better for you. Whole grains are better sources of fiber and other important nutrients, such as selenium, potassium and magnesium. So whenever you can, choose whole grains over
    refined grains."

also :

"A slice of commercially prepared white bread has 66 calories, 1.9 grams protein and 0.6 grams fiber. A slice of whole-wheat bread has 69 calories and provides 3.6 grams protein and 1.9 grams fiber. It isn't hard to see which one is the better nutritional bet."

[ http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whole-grains/NU00204 ]