My 14 yr old daughter is over-weight and I need advice

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Exactly. By banning them from your house, even though you feel like you're being honest and that's the best policy, you are giving them a lot of power and you're not teaching your daughter that it is OK to eat treats in moderation.

You're teaching her that it's something to be ashamed of and hide, and it looks like it is manifesting itself in her weight.

I don't think there's an easy answer here and I also don't want to come across as though I'm implying you're not doing the best you can. However, the method you've currently chosen is clearly not working so it might be time to try something else instead of doubling down on the thing that isn't working.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Just a question: how is your daughter able to spend what sounds like a substantial amount of money on fast food? How much money does she have that she's able to overeat so massively? At that age I had enough pocket money to buy a small ice cream a few times per month, a few small pieces of candy and to go to the cinema once without buying popcorn. At least I was not able to buy such massive amount of calories that I would have gotten overweight.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Yeah, please don't ask the laymen this question--this requires professional guidance. Good luck!

So much this.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Just a question: how is your daughter able to spend what sounds like a substantial amount of money on fast food? How much money does she have that she's able to overeat so massively? At that age I had enough pocket money to buy a small ice cream a few times per month, a few small pieces of candy and to go to the cinema once without buying popcorn. At least I was not able to buy such massive amount of calories that I would have gotten overweight.

Junk food costs very little. Can get a big bag of chips and soda for $2-3. Can order off the value menu at a fast food place. Walmart has candy pretty cheap. Cookies are only $3-5. And it's very easy to eat in a surplus with food like that. I know personally I got about $10-15 a week as a teenager for allowance.

It also sounded like from the OP she's eating this junk food with friends so maybe at their houses as well.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    edited June 2016
    yirara wrote: »

I don't know the answer to this, but she's 14. She could have a job. I started working when I was 11, and I always had enough money to buy junk every day and get fat. That's exactly what I did since my parents didn't allow any type of junk food in the house.

If she has no job, then it's a fair point!
  • dennysgirl99
    dennysgirl99 Posts: 7 Member
    Personally, I think that teaching a teen how to count calories and practice mindful eating can be a good thing when introduced in a positive way. I approach it the same as I do with money and budgeting finances. I have "x" amount of money, need to spend "x" amount of money on necessities and then have "x" amount of money left over for whatever extras I'd like. Sometimes I don't budget very well or a necessity will cost more then anticipated so I have nothing extra. I have to either make it fit, pass on it or accept the consequences that indulging over the budget may have. Same with calories. I start out with my calorie allowance for the day, budget in the necessities like protein and then depending on how well I balance it all, I may or may not have enough left for that cupcake that is calling my name. There have been times where I want it that bad that I will go walk or do any activity that will MAKE it fit. There have been times (fortunately much, much fewer) where I have just ate the cupcake and accepted that it is going to put me over. It's life. We all have to learn how to budget whether it's money, time or food. I wish it hadn't taken me over two decades to learn it.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited June 2016
    peleroja wrote: »
    julslenae wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    No one has addressed this yet, but you've said that you've become a "junk food nazi" and that she is choosing to get junk food outside the house.

It's possible that your attitude about junk food has given it a special status in her mind - perhaps a form of rebellion because teenagers will be teenagers.

Maybe, if you take the power of junk food out of the equation, your daughter may be more successful.

I've thought about that also in the past and the best decision I've come to so far is to be honest with my daughter and also value my health. I've told her the truth that it is hard for me to resist sugary treats and therefore I don't keep them in the house. It's a decision I've made for my health. Outside of our house is a different matter. We will sometimes go out for ice cream as a treat. She'll order a double chocolate cookie dough blizzard, beg for a large, only be allowed a medium (just like her sister) and I'll choose a hot fudge sundae because that's only 350 calories and much less calories than most blizzards. We were at a birthday party last weekend. I ate a piece of birthday cake and a small scoop of ice cream. She ate 2 pieces of cake along with ice cream. I don't ever to make her feel bad for eating what she does. I was a chunky, self-conscious kid growing up watching my own mother struggle with weight loss and I would love to break the cycle with my daughter.

I don't want to be harsh here, but if that's how she's eating, she probably should feel bad for eating it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with treats in moderation but that kind of quantity is not moderation and it's setting her up for a lifetime as a obese adult. You don't have to be cruel about it but I think it's vital that you make her aware that eating like that is not appropriate or healthy. Downing two pieces of cake with ice cream or a huge blizzard on the regular isn't a good thing. It's fine to indulge once in a while and everyone overeats sometimes, but it's thinking that those kind of portions are acceptable and typical that is a problem.

Yes, because shaming someone is absolutely what a teenager needs.

Offering perspective as someone who piled on a LOT of weight during my senior year of high school (comparing yearbook photos is still depressing 7+ years later):

For many girls, it has nothing to do with food and everything to do with CONTROL. My parents, but especially my mother, were VERY, very controlling and strict. For me, food often became a way of simultaneously being rebellious and literally swallowing my anger, my resentment, and so forth. My mother made a point of addressing my weight gain, and it did nothing to dissuade me from eating crazy amounts of food and calories, especially under the insane delusion that somehow being young would keep me from getting fatter and fatter. My sister and I handled our parents' divorce a few years back differently. I ate my feelings to suppress my feelings; my sister starved herself. Both were unhealthy coping mechanism involving use of food as a means of regaining control we felt was lost.

The only thing that helped me snap out of it was moving out of my mother's house and no longer being under her thumb - and even, it took years to figure out the problem. If I'm not careful, I can still be prone to eating to excess. I'm not 100% "there" yet.

OP, I would strongly suggest you get your daughter to a medical professional, yes - but also a therapist. It's very possible there are underlying psychological reasons that she eats the way she does.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    When I hit 11 or so, I gained 15 or 20lbs. The first thing my dad did was put me on a diet. He had me weigh in every day. I got to the point where I started to lie about what I was eating just not to feel the pressure. It started a cycle of gaining/losing weight, hiding what I eat (which I still do to this day) and lying about my weight. Please don't do that to your daughter.

A visit to the doctor would be good, just to rule out any medical issues. You also don't mention how overweight she is. Is she up 20lbs or so (maybe related to hormones or growing spurts)? Or is she severely overweight? You are on the right track, have healthy food in the house but don't forbid the treats. Help her learn proper portion sizes. Make activity fun, walk, yoga, dance class.

Most importantly, remind her what she sees on tv and in the magazines is not real life. Teach her to embrace her curves and be happy with who she is. Remind her that her body will always be changing and proper nutrition and healthy exercise is key.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Does your employer or health insurance offer a health coach or dietician you can call? Or talk with her pediatrician when she isn't there. They may have better options for helping adolescents develop better eating habits than we can offer. I agree that this is a delicate situation, as others have mentioned.

One other option - does your daughter like or know how to cook? I loved cooking and made quite a few of my family's meals when I was that age, especially when my parents were working. Cooking together or teaching her to cook is a great way to help her understand what's in food without adding a bunch of weight loss pressure. Pick recipes from blogs like skinny taste that are already fairly nutritious and lower calorie. Even recipes that are typically higher in calories get a decent makover - nuggets, chicken parm, dips, etc.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    No one has addressed this yet, but you've said that you've become a "junk food nazi" and that she is choosing to get junk food outside the house.

It's possible that your attitude about junk food has given it a special status in her mind - perhaps a form of rebellion because teenagers will be teenagers.

Maybe, if you take the power of junk food out of the equation, your daughter may be more successful.

I've thought about that also in the past and the best decision I've come to so far is to be honest with my daughter and also value my health. I've told her the truth that it is hard for me to resist sugary treats and therefore I don't keep them in the house. It's a decision I've made for my health. Outside of our house is a different matter. We will sometimes go out for ice cream as a treat. She'll order a double chocolate cookie dough blizzard, beg for a large, only be allowed a medium (just like her sister) and I'll choose a hot fudge sundae because that's only 350 calories and much less calories than most blizzards. We were at a birthday party last weekend. I ate a piece of birthday cake and a small scoop of ice cream. She ate 2 pieces of cake along with ice cream. I don't ever to make her feel bad for eating what she does. I was a chunky, self-conscious kid growing up watching my own mother struggle with weight loss and I would love to break the cycle with my daughter.

I don't want to be harsh here, but if that's how she's eating, she probably should feel bad for eating it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with treats in moderation but that kind of quantity is not moderation and it's setting her up for a lifetime as a obese adult. You don't have to be cruel about it but I think it's vital that you make her aware that eating like that is not appropriate or healthy. Downing two pieces of cake with ice cream or a huge blizzard on the regular isn't a good thing. It's fine to indulge once in a while and everyone overeats sometimes, but it's thinking that those kind of portions are acceptable and typical that is a problem.

Yes, because shaming someone is absolutely what a teenager needs.

Offering perspective as someone who piled on a LOT of weight during my senior year of high school (comparing yearbook photos is still depressing 7+ years later):

For many girls, it has nothing to do with food and everything to do with CONTROL. My parents, but especially my mother, were VERY, very controlling and strict. For me, food often became a way of simultaneously being rebellious and literally swallowing my anger, my resentment, and so forth. My mother made a point of addressing my weight gain, and it did nothing to dissuade me from eating crazy amounts of food and calories, especially under the insane delusion that somehow being young would keep me from getting fatter and fatter. My sister and I handled our parents' divorce a few years back differently. I ate my feelings to suppress my feelings; my sister starved herself. Both were unhealthy coping mechanism involving use of food as a means of regaining control we felt was lost.

The only thing that helped me snap out of it was moving out of my mother's house and no longer being under her thumb - and even, it took years to figure out the problem. If I'm not careful, I can still be prone to eating to excess. I'm not 100% "there" yet.

OP, I would strongly suggest you get your daughter to a medical professional, yes - but also a therapist. It's very possible there are underlying psychological reasons that she eats the way she does.

Talking to your child about making better food choices isn't "shaming". And I'll refer to my above post for the rest.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Mentali wrote: »

You think a 14 year old should start feeling guilt and shame over her food choices?! This is not an adult. This is a child. This is the time when young girls especially are most vulnerable to harmful attitudes around eating, the kind that cement themselves in their brain and evolve into bad eating habits as an adult.

Haven't you seen the adults here struggling with feeling guilt and shame and panic over messing up one day because they overate? You really want that to be the struggles of this child?

This.
  • julslenae
    julslenae Posts: 38 Member
    laur357 wrote: »
    Does your employer or health insurance offer a health coach or dietician you can call? Or talk with her pediatrician when she isn't there. They may have better options for helping adolescents develop better eating habits than we can offer. I agree that this is a delicate situation, as others have mentioned.

One other option - does your daughter like or know how to cook? I loved cooking and made quite a few of my family's meals when I was that age, especially when my parents were working. Cooking together or teaching her to cook is a great way to help her understand what's in food without adding a bunch of weight loss pressure. Pick recipes from blogs like skinny taste that are already fairly nutritious and lower calorie. Even recipes that are typically higher in calories get a decent makover - nuggets, chicken parm, dips, etc.

No, neither my employer nor my insurance company offer anything like that. It would be cool if they did.

I've been trying to encourage my daughter to cook but she's not very interested. Last week I told her that I wanted her and I to sit down together and for her to pick out something she wanted the two of us to make for dinner one night this week.
  • Dutchgirl1975
    Dutchgirl1975 Posts: 2 Member
    I strongly agree with a previous posters comment about getting a therapist for your daughter. At this age, there is a reason she is eating too much and is overweight. Seeing a nutritionist or going to the gym is fixing the result, not the effect.