Not sure how possible but is this ok??

Options
xerinanova
xerinanova Posts: 7 Member
So I've chosen to do the 2 lb loss a week but from the 16th to now I've dropped a little over 10 lbs. I drastically changed my diet, eating lots of spinach and cottage cheese, veggies and chicken. I've been under my calorie goal each day by about 100-250 calories (goal is about 1390). I didn't expect to lose this much so quickly. Is this okay? Not complaining by any means but yea. I am 6'0 tall started at 233 lbs and down to 222.8

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Weight loss often goes super-fast when we get started. Some of that will be water weight and it will slow down. So enjoy it while it lasts because it will probably slow down at some point! Also, you don't have to be under every day. It's okay to eat your full calories.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Seems really quick. You could eat way more calories and still drop. Be sure to listen to your body
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you eat your entire 1390 per day. That's the purpose of having a calorie goal.
  • xerinanova
    Options
    You are eating super low. Not even getting 1200 every day? At your size you can (and should) eat more to lose weight. You'll likely crash and burn pretty quickly if you keep going at this rate.
    I know... I'm just so afraid of getting off track...
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    xerinanova wrote: »
    You are eating super low. Not even getting 1200 every day? At your size you can (and should) eat more to lose weight. You'll likely crash and burn pretty quickly if you keep going at this rate.

Actually what is likely to happen is you will get really, really hungry and give in and binge. That's why you aim for a reasonable calorie deficit every day - so you don't get super hungry.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ah I remember when I first started. Took off 24 pounds in three weeks. Looking back, I contribute this mostly to water retention. Before, my ankles...I didn't have ankles lol...now I have slender ankles; so for me, I'm sure it was water weight.

• xerinanova
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    xerinanova wrote: »

Actually what is likely to happen is you will get really, really hungry and give in and binge. That's why you aim for a reasonable calorie deficit every day - so you don't get super hungry.
    Well I haven't been super hungry, like when I eat I get full. But I don't feel a lack of energy or anything but everyone is like saying water weight and I've cut my sodium intake so maybe that's why I dropped so quickly

• brittnichol
    brittnichol Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Whenever you go from eating whatever you want and then start eating healthy your bound to lose weight fast at the beginning its a change. Ive started my weightloss journey over and over and most the time the first week i lose around 10 plus pounds. Just your body getting rid of water weight and getting used to all the fiber and healthy foods
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I would try to get as close to your goal as you can. You might lose a lot of water at first so I would give it 4-6 weeks before you decide that you are losing too fast. If you continue at that rate though then I would up the calories. Are you weighing your food on a scale? That really helps to make sure that you are eating the number of calories you think you are, not more or less.
  • xerinanova
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I would try to get as close to your goal as you can. You might lose a lot of water at first so I would give it 4-6 weeks before you decide that you are losing too fast. If you continue at that rate though then I would up the calories. Are you weighing your food on a scale? That really helps to make sure that you are eating the number of calories you think you are, not more or less.
    Not on a scale but I go off of recommended portion sizes and use measuring cup/spoon
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are eating pretty healthy based on what you listed (spinach, cottage cheese, veggies and chicken) but if that's the bulk of your intake it might not be sustainable long term. You may consider adding some grains, a little fruit and maybe eggs or egg whites to round things out a bit and get a little closer to your target calories.

I sometimes find that when I eat lots of veggies and lean protein I don't always meet the calorie goal for the day. However, I know I've put a lot of good nutritious food into my body and I'm satisfied. While you don't want to shoot for very low calories every day, you can certainly meet your nutritional needs if you're eating healthy foods. A lot of people do intermittent fasting with great success and that's very low calories a couple days a week. I've never tried it intentionally, but some days I do it accidentally. LOL

As others have mentioned, seems like everyone loses a lot right out of the gate. Congrats on your progress so far!
  • xerinanova
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    It sounds like you are eating pretty healthy based on what you listed (spinach, cottage cheese, veggies and chicken) but if that's the bulk of your intake it might not be sustainable long term. You may consider adding some grains, a little fruit and maybe eggs or egg whites to round things out a bit and get a little closer to your target calories.

I sometimes find that when I eat lots of veggies and lean protein I don't always meet the calorie goal for the day. However, I know I've put a lot of good nutritious food into my body and I'm satisfied. While you don't want to shoot for very low calories every day, you can certainly meet your nutritional needs if you're eating healthy foods. A lot of people do intermittent fasting with great success and that's very low calories a couple days a week. I've never tried it intentionally, but some days I do it accidentally. LOL

As others have mentioned, seems like everyone loses a lot right out of the gate. Congrats on your progress so far!

Hey thanks for the positivity! And yea I have heard fasting can be beneficial if you do it the right way
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far!! I lost pretty similarly at the beginning of my weight loss so no fears. I am 5 months in and still pluggin so not everyone goes off the tracks if they experience big losses initially!

I would say, though, just a small piece of advice from someone has been where you are....eat more now and save the 1200 calorie days for later. Here's why...you will slow down in your weight loss and you need to be able to adjust calories. Eat 1400 even and see if you are still losing. If you lose a pound or two a week you are most likely losing fat. Anything more and it could be muscle and that's a bad deal....you'll still feel like you're losing but you'll pay for it in the end with no metabolism....it happened to me earlier in my life and took years to fix.

I wish you the best!! Good luck on this fsbulous journey you've embarked on.
  • JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's intoxicating to see it come off so quickly at first. Same happened with me. Just be sure you're exercising regularly so you metabolism doesn't grind to a hault.
  • wellsjc
    wellsjc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I called my first weeks Mcdonalds/Pizza Hut/Wendys Weight loss. Strange things happen when you start eating better and within a calorie deficit.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's intoxicating to see it come off so quickly at first. Same happened with me. Just be sure you're exercising regularly so you metabolism doesn't grind to a hault.

It doesn't work that way, at all. Anecdotally: I lost my last 30 pounds, while doing nearly nothing other than playing video games and sitting in a truck at work.