Home Scales vs Doctors Scales

Options
2»

Replies

• Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I definitely would go by the home scale over the dr office. I work in a office and they are rarely calibrated and go thru a lot more abuse in general then the one at home does.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Your doctor's office may be experiencing less gravitational pull than your home.
  • shijay
    shijay Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i work in a doctors office and when I weigh patients, most say, it is different from their scales at home. I tell the patient that if they have one set of scales they weigh on regularly, go by that set. That is the one u view regulary. most people are not at doc that regularly. (hopefully)
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    I go by my scales at home. I use the gyms boditrak system (just a glorified scale machine with handles that reads everything) and I'm 37lbs heavier.

I do weight first thing in the morning with nothing on at home though. The gym I've had tons of water by the time I weigh and have clothes on (it's mean to account for clothes though).

I like all the data from the boditrak though.

37lb difference? At least one of those scales is garbage.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    dietstokes wrote: »
    I'll be devils advocate here. I often think the scales at the doctor's office are highly inaccurate b/c they are not calibrated that often. I can jump on my scale at my house, my grandmothers at her place, my friends at her place and get a number within a pound or two of each other, while I can get wildly different numbers at the doctors. If you are concerned, ask when they last had it calibrated. Also, you can check the accuracy of yours by placing a weight on it and seeing what it reads. I have up to 50 pound weights in my apartment that I use from time to time to check the accuracy. I just hold it and step on the scale and see if the weight goes up by 20 pounds (if I'm holding the 20 pound weight).

Agree. Doc's office scales get jumped on and beat up and I seriously doubt they are calibrated, ever. They don't have to be.

As for checking the accuracy of your home scale (or calibrating it yourself), you need to do it with a verified weight (workout weights would work), preferably a weight that is as close to your own body weight as possible (so you can see the accuracy within your body weight range; accuracy may vary within different weight ranges), and, very importantly, weighed all by itself; i.e., without your body on the scale. Looking at how the scale changes when you add a 20-lb weight to your body weight does not mean that your initial body weight measurement is accurate. It only shows that the scale will see the proper difference. I hope that makes sense! If your scale is off, you will probably still see a 20-lb difference when you hold a 20-lb weight.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Scales can get out of calibration. Mystery solved.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little *kittened* up maybe, but it's humorous how? I mean, humorous like it's a clown, it amuses you? What do you mean humorous, humorous how?

I believe Lionel Richie is humorous but I guess others may not find humor in Lionel Richie. I saw a picture of him at tgifridays and I laughed because it was humorous. It instantly made me think of my friend.
    So I'm guessing this OP likes to laugh at different scales and their different weights. To each is own I guess.
    #scalehumormatters #iluvlionel
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Scales can get out of calibration. Mystery solved.

This makes too much sense and there's no humor in this post.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little *kittened* up maybe, but it's humorous how? I mean, humorous like it's a clown, it amuses you? What do you mean humorous, humorous how?

humerous.jpg

OP, if you weigh yourself on 5 different scales, you will likely get 5 different results. Pick one and be consistent. I suggest picking your home scale unless your doctor allows you to use that scale weekly, or you are only interesting in weighing in when you see your doctor. Did you weigh yourself on your doctor's scale when you first started? If not, then you have no way of knowing if that scale is saying you are losing faster. Either way, be consistent and ignore the anomaly.