My Big Fat Fabulous Life

Options

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched the first season, but I too, am watching the second.

In my honest opinion, the excuses she makes really annoys me....and during her skiing stint (when she was falling down) I was screaming in my head "well you should have taken your ER visit and funeral SERIOUSLY!!!! Now help yourself, *kitten*!"
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    slava977 wrote: »
    I've seen a few random episodes of this show in the past.. I actually have a different take on it although most of you will disagree with me. Here are some stats: "In the USA more than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese. More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity." I think in some way Whitney gives hope to many people (primarily women) who are very heavy and yet unwilling/mentally unable to make the sacrifice of sticking to a strict diet... Yes, many people just don't have the willpower to make the necessary changes. And you know what? It's their lives, their bodies. They wake up every morning and need to go on with their day. They still need to find a way to feel okay and live. She is "proving" that you can live, dance, laugh, have a relationship, do various activities - and be a larger size. And it's okay. Some people will Never find the willpower to go from being obese to being normal weight. It's their choice. For instance, in one of the episodes Whitney organized a bunch of mostly heavily overweight women into a dance group. They got together to practice dance routines and then did a performance in front of a large group of people.. I thought this was wonderful. I do feel that she is making a positive contribution in her own way.

But it isn't really "okay" and "their choice" as the US heads into some level of socialized medicine. Every healthcare dollar that is spent investing in hospital beds for the morbidly obese or wide-bore MRIs is money diverted from treating childhood cancers or <insert your pet cause disease here>.

This. Government pays more than 50% of healthcare costs now in the US. I'm not okay with the "their choice" crap either.

This is from programs like Medicare and Medicaid, which caters to those over 65 and the very poor, and not for the average American, who may or may not be making poor decisions. Those over 65 and the very poor are more likely to have health problems in the first place, obese or no.

If this bothers you, fine, but let's not pretend that the money the government in the US is paying is for people like Whitney or the vast majority of people like her.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Socialized medicine (I'm in Canada) does not discriminate against those who choose to lead an unhealthy lifestyle. there are smokers and drinkers and overweight people, but also folks who develop cancer, and other debilitating disease who are just as deserving of health care as anyone else. It is balanced by the population who whether by choice, luck or genetics do not use the health care system disproportionately.

Yes, that would be true in a country where the majority of the population is not already overweight or obese.

Consider that

"The latest research suggests obesity costs Canada's health system $6 billion a year."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/obesity-s-global-costs-hit-2-trillion-a-year-report-suggests-1.2841782

No one is saying that they aren't deserving of health care, but you have to admit that it is pretty anti-social to choose to be morbidly obese or a heavy smoker or a heavy drinker and expect everyone else to pick up the tab for your crappy lifestyle when the SHTF.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    slava977 wrote: »
    I've seen a few random episodes of this show in the past.. I actually have a different take on it although most of you will disagree with me. Here are some stats: "In the USA more than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese. More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity." I think in some way Whitney gives hope to many people (primarily women) who are very heavy and yet unwilling/mentally unable to make the sacrifice of sticking to a strict diet... Yes, many people just don't have the willpower to make the necessary changes. And you know what? It's their lives, their bodies. They wake up every morning and need to go on with their day. They still need to find a way to feel okay and live. She is "proving" that you can live, dance, laugh, have a relationship, do various activities - and be a larger size. And it's okay. Some people will Never find the willpower to go from being obese to being normal weight. It's their choice. For instance, in one of the episodes Whitney organized a bunch of mostly heavily overweight women into a dance group. They got together to practice dance routines and then did a performance in front of a large group of people.. I thought this was wonderful. I do feel that she is making a positive contribution in her own way.

But it isn't really "okay" and "their choice" as the US heads into some level of socialized medicine. Every healthcare dollar that is spent investing in hospital beds for the morbidly obese or wide-bore MRIs is money diverted from treating childhood cancers or <insert your pet cause disease here>.

This. Government pays more than 50% of healthcare costs now in the US. I'm not okay with the "their choice" crap either.

This is from programs like Medicare and Medicaid, which caters to those over 65 and the very poor, and not for the average American, who may or may not be making poor decisions. Those over 65 and the very poor are more likely to have health problems in the first place, obese or no.

If this bothers you, fine, but let's not pretend that the money the government in the US is paying is for people like Whitney or the vast majority of people like her.

The poor generally have a high level of obesity. Obesity is driving total healthcare spending up be it by the government or insurance companies who pool the risks. We haven't hit it big yet on expenses when the "young healthy" obese start breaking down as they statistically will

We need to treat obesity, not glorify it like this show tris to do
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    To me it seems like she is in huge denial. She says that whe wants to be fat and considers herself healthy. No offense to anyone, but how is being 370 lbs healthy? This takes the HAES claim to a whole new level.

I imagine she does want to stay fat. If she loses weight she won't have a TV show. And money if more important than health, right?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Well thats it, isnt it? The smokers and the drinkers are targets of educational programs, encouraging them to quit, but they arent demonized for it. They have an addiction or an illness. People who are overweight are shamed by name calling, public humiliation and other forms of discrimination. Even here there is no consensus about whether disordered eating is an addiction. I dont think I have ever heard anyone screamed at from across the street "Stop smoking you stinky bugger!" But I have witnessed people being screamed at to "Lose weight you fat pig!" And I dont think people are being deliberately anti social - self defeating and thoughtless perhaps, but not anti social. If I get cancer from smoking, do I apologize for being a burden on the health care system? If I drink myself into cirrhosis am I deliberately negligent? Blaming people for getting sick, even if they could have prevented it, is not appropriate.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    What about the people that can claim disability because they are severely overweight. Don't our our tax dollars pay for that.

Nope! SSDI is paid for by the person getting it. You need to have work credits, which you accumulate depending on your age and how long you've been working. You MUST pay into it in order to qualify.

Now SSI, that's if you have no job and no work credits and limited income. That is not paid by the individual.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What about the people that can claim disability because they are severely overweight. Don't our our tax dollars pay for that.

Nope! SSDI is paid for by the person getting it.

Not always. Children can be on disability
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Nope! SSDI is paid for by the person getting it.

Not always. Children can be on disability

Yes, that is SSI. I edited my coment to say that. SSI is if you have no work credits, no job, and very limited income. However, qualifying as a child is very different than qualifying as an adult and I highly doubt there are many kids on SSI because they're obese.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I can't watch this show. I tried once and saw so much of myself in Whitney that it was one of the main wake calls I needed to make the change. I ended up choosing weight loss surgery, as I was 375 lbs, and exercise had become too hard. I knew I had to have help, and chose this path. I promise that she is not as happy as she tries to portray. Her parents aren't funny, but cruel. I've been ridiculed my whole life because of my weight, by everyone except my husband, (who has been supportive every step of my journey), and even now 6 months post op, and 112 lbs smaller, I still face the stigmas. I'm making every effort to get to a healthier weight, and I was one of those genetic freaks who didn't have any of the issues with diabetes, high blood pressure, or even fertility issues. But, I knew that it was only a matter of time before I did, and chose to do something about it.

Her attitude breaks my heart, because I was exactly the same way. It was a goal to prove people like my mother wrong and prove that I could do everything as a fat person. And I did,for the most part. But I needed to stop trying to prove things to people who still don't really care about anything other than appearances (I have some serious issues with my parents) and become healthy for me. It's a journey, and it's not easy, and I hope she can break away and do what she needs to do for her own future before it's too late.

I'm sorry if my comment offended. That wasn't my intent. I was commenting ONLY on the TV show, which is exactly that: a show for ratings and not reality. It was not directed towards reality nor anyone who has dealt with this in real life.

Congrats on your success! I'm sorry you are still dealing with stigmas. I have serious issues with my mom as well, but for other reasons so I can somewhat empathize. I'm sure Whitney's parents were / are in some way enablers but I can't say for sure as I don't know any of them personally. Wishing you continued health and happiness!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I've never watched it, but if she has PCOS she likely has insulin resistance and would benefit hugely from losing weight. Case closed. No health at that size for someone who has PCOS unless she is a genetic freak.

Now that out of the way, how she wants to view her obesity and what she wants (or doesn't want) to do about it I fully support. Not everyone who is fat wants to lose weight or considers obesity a bad thing, and that's alright. People do need to understand what they are getting themselves into though and to be prepared to deal with it, a choice they have every right to make. No judgement from me there. I don't believe there should be any more stigma around obesity than there is around fair skinned people tanning or extreme sports.

I like the way you think and completely agree. I haven't seen the show, but I know from my own journey that the consequences of being obese seem very far away, especially when you aren't experiencing any of the health problems. It makes it easy to set it aside as something you'll do eventually, until the health problems land in your lap.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Government pays more than 50% of healthcare costs now in the US. I'm not okay with the "their choice" crap either.

And this is why I oppose socialized medicine. It makes people like you think you have a right to control my body.

YAS.