Improve half marathon

Options
So I'm planning on running my first half marathon this fall. I'm hoping to finish with in 1.5 hours. Right now my time is roughly 1.75. What are the best ways to take time off those long distances. I run 3x a week (10 miles +, 3 miles +, & 8 miles +) trying to keep a steady pace with wind sprints throughout. Any suggestions on improving time? Thanks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Swap the 10 miles for a long slow run that takes you farther than 13.1 miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So I'm planning on running my first half marathon this fall. I'm hoping to finish with in 1.5 hours. Right now my time is roughly 1.75. What are the best ways to take time off those long distances. I run 3x a week (10 miles +, 3 miles +, & 8 miles +) trying to keep a steady pace with wind sprints throughout. Any suggestions on improving time? Thanks.

Personally I'd add about another 8-10 miles to your weekly total. Add 3 miles to your short run and bring in another 6 miler. That'll bring up your training volume to an appropriate level.

One of your six milers can then be a speed session, strides, tempo or cruise intervals.

Clear caveat though, limit your weekly increase to 10% of your current mileage
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options

One of your six milers can then be a speed session, strides, tempo or cruise intervals.

This was the key to me improving my times - 5/6/7 treadmill miles (blah) with the first and last as warm up / down, and the middle ones at a faster than usual pace. The treadmill kept me honest...
  • Will131power
    Will131power Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Clear caveat though, limit your weekly increase to 10% of your current mileage [/quote]

So what do you mean by this?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So what do you mean by this?

When you're increasing mileage avoid adding more than 10% of current mileage per week. As you're only doing a 21 mile week add 2 miles, the following week add 2 miles, then the week after that add 2.5 miles.

I'd also say that your long run should be limited to 25% of your weekly mileage, which would suggest more than three runs per week. Personally I'd be doing 5 or 6 with your long being, as suggested above, around 15 miles.
  • Will131power
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Alright sounds good. I just started running about a month ago. And I'm up to 1min 45 for it (.5 marathon) I feel confident I can obtain this pace, was just looking for some training tips from people experienced. These sound like good tips, and I'll try them out. If it makes a difference, I do strength training sessions 3x a week as well. Should I still ad in another run, or sub my strength sessions.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    For the half M, my favorite workouts are, 1hr progressive runs, 10k time trials / races, 3x3mi, 3x2mi, 6x1 mi, 10mi with last 3mi @ race pace. That has gotten me to 1:22 in 2011. Minimum of 80mi/wk though. And 7x/wk running. With 2 a days.

The difference between 1:45 to 1:30 is massive. Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

The difference between 1:45 to 1:30 is massive. Good luck!

So true. My half marathon time has been under 1:45 for over a year now and I am trying to get it under 1:40 for the fall. I plan to train by running 6-7 days per week with 50+ miles per week for the next 16 weeks. It takes a lot. However, I have been running a pretty long time, so I am probably closer to my peak than you. If you have just started running, you are likely to notice more rapid improvements.

As far as your question on running vs. strength training, most runners will tell you that the way to get faster at running is to run more. Strength training will definitely help your running, but it will also contribute to fatigue. It is tricky to find the proper balance. Most runners I know will do most of their strength training in the off season and only add body weight exercises as a supplement during their training cycles. You kind of have to decide what is most important to you based on your goals and focus on that.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "The difference between 1:45 to 1:30 is massive. Good luck!"

Isn't a 1:45 Half Marathon an 8:01 Mile pace an a 1:30 is a 6:55 mile pace? This IS a big difference. You'd need to take a minute off your Mile pace to cut about 13 minutes off you Half time.

This from a guy wondering if he can get under, or about 2:30 for his first Half.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    It took me years of focused run training to go from 1:45 to <1:30. Certainly not something that can be done on a handful of runs per week, especially with a newer runner.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "The difference between 1:45 to 1:30 is massive. Good luck!"

Isn't a 1:45 Half Marathon an 8:01 Mile pace an a 1:30 is a 6:55 mile pace? This IS a big difference. You'd need to take a minute off your Mile pace to cut about 13 minutes off you Half time.

This from a guy wondering if he can get under, or about 2:30 for his first Half.

I did my first half in 2:24:08 on the hottest day of the year... I'd take 2:20 next year...
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Alright sounds good. I just started running about a month ago. And I'm up to 1min 45 for it (.5 marathon) I feel confident I can obtain this pace, was just looking for some training tips from people experienced. These sound like good tips, and I'll try them out. If it makes a difference, I do strength training sessions 3x a week as well. Should I still ad in another run, or sub my strength sessions.

Add in a day and do some strength on a recovery run day. That being said if you're new to running you don't want to be adding mileage too quickly if you're increasing your speed at the same time.
  • Will131power
    Options
    I'm not a runner, just big on fitness, as well as being competitive, so my strength training isn't for running, it's for another sport. I think I'll up.my short run to 6-7 miles this week, then an additional run a week for the next 3 weeks. After a week of this i'll check back in and post the results.
  • SashEdwards
    SashEdwards Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is sort of a scary discussion lol I've committed to doing a half marathon next May. I run now average 6 days a week, however only between 4-6km and a pace of average 6:45/km. I only started running regularly (this time around) about 2 months ago. I guess I have a lot of learning and work to do. Good luck OP!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    This is sort of a scary discussion lol I've committed to doing a half marathon next May. I run now average 6 days a week, however only between 4-6km and a pace of average 6:45/km. I only started running regularly (this time around) about 2 months ago. I guess I have a lot of learning and work to do. Good luck OP!

You've got nearly a year, plenty of time to get your miles up. I went from no running after an injury to my first half in less than 5 months so don't worry!
  • SashEdwards
    Options
    Wow, that's inspiring lol there's hope for me yet....yessss!! Thanks!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

You will be fine. Many first time half-marathoners are in the same position as you. Many only train 3 times per week and max out at 10-11 miles, but they are not trying to achieve the pace that the OP is. He is not a typical beginning runner which is why the advice in this thread (increasing mileage, speedwork, etc) does not apply to most beginners. I would say that most people have times exceeding 2+ hours for their first HM.
  • SashEdwards
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

You will be fine. Many first time half-marathoners are in the same position as you. Many only train 3 times per week and max out at 10-11 miles, but they are not trying to achieve the pace that the OP is. He is not a typical beginning runner which is why the advice in this thread (increasing mileage, speedwork, etc) does not apply to most beginners. I would say that most people have times exceeding 2+ hours for their first HM.

Thank you for this....it's good to not have unrealistic expectations, I don't want to fail before I begin. That makes sense though too, as even at my PB, my 5K time is still over 30 minutes.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Your situation is completely different than OP's. You'll be fine, just keep grinding away.