Estimating the Weight of Meat

Options
debdptg
debdptg Posts: 94 Member
When I eat out (like today at lunch) I am having a lot of trouble estimating the weight of the food that I eat - especially the meat. Is there a visual way to estimate what 3 oz of beef or 3 oz of chicken looks like? For home, I have a scale, for packaged stuff, I can read the label, but when I eat out I am really frustrated by having to make a wild guess (is it 1 oz or 10 oz? - how the heck am I supposed to know!).

Visual cues, especially pics, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• heretic911
    heretic911 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree it's tough when you go out. My visual aide is about the size of your palm, no bigger than a playing card is a portion:) Good luck, I just joined and so far people are so supportive on MFP.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think 3-4 oz would be about the size of your palm.

An 8oz steak is rather massive, about the size of a side plate.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    i remember reading somewhere that a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like the 'deck of cards' or 'palm of hand' suggestion for portion size, but how much does that weigh? I need the weight to log it in...
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I've heard that 4 oz is like a deck of cards, but I eat out alot and if the weight isn't on the menu, I usually ask and the server will either know or find out for me.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The old adage from Weight Watchers was 3-4 ounces was approximately the size of a cassette tape. Since most of the youngin's out there don't know what a cassette tape is, they have since gone to comparing it to a deck of cards.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    I generally estimate higher just to be safe - better to take in fewer calories than you think you did versus more! So when it is the size of my palm, I say 4.5 - 5 oz depending on thickness, and I feel like that usually ends up about right!

Good Luck!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The best visual is that 3 oz. of meat/chicken is equal in size to a standard deck of cards.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Deck of cards equals 3 oz in weight for meat or chicken
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Estimation will do in a pinch but I might suggest that you ask the server to check with the chef.