hunger pains during a menstrual cycle

Options
So, the last few days have been a huge challege. This is only my second month "on a diet'....changing my life...

But this week, while being on my "period"...hope that doesn't offend anyone....I've found myself so hungry. Especially for carbs.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem...and if they've found any good remedies

Replies

• tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The 17 Day Diet has a whole chapter on how you should up your carb intake (good carbs...not junk), water intake, and chocolate intake :love: Likewise, cut back on sodium and caffeine. It's worth trying to get your hands on a copy.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    every month lol sometimes i do extra exercise to cover some cheats within cals but having calcium rich foods help stave the carb cravings too :-) x
  • BustyTransformer
    BustyTransformer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get that way every single month. I've noticed that eating more fiber and fruit tends to ease those cravings. I like those 100 calorie deli flats from pepperidge farm...i spread out one bun throughout the day when I just NEED bread and at 20g of carbs and 5g of fiber, it doesn't hurt my diet.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I get it ALL the time!! It is such a struggle!!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I crave carbs at that time so I just eat more and exercise more to use up the calories. I don't believe in going hungry when you are eating healthy, I think it makes you feel deprived and you can lose willpower.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat. This doesn't mean eat a whole cheesecake (like I would LOVE to do on my period), but it does mean add an extra meal or two. And a plate of veggies may cover it. Or some actual pasta/carbs. As for me, I am always starving for a steak at that time... and I usually give into it.

Not eating when you are actually hungry causes stress on your body. What does your body do when it is stressed? It resorts to a primal need to take care of itself and holds on to what little you do put into it.
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yeah, imagine that, now take your period and make it a month straight. I'm going through that right now. It suuuucks. Sometimes I eat a little more than I should during these times, but I also keep water near me so when I get the urge to eat; I drink instead.