What time should i have my last meal or snack?

Options
I'm really trying to get focused on my eating habits this months since I have been stuck in a five week plateau. What time should I have my last meal or snack? Some people say no food after 7:30. However, with my day that can be difficult. Others say at least 3 hours before you go to sleep. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Timing is irrelevant. Some people get indigestion or weird dreams if they eat late at night. But nutritionally, it does not matter as long as you are hitting your numbers.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Timing is irrelevant. Some people get indigestion or weird dreams if they eat late at night. But nutritionally, it does not matter as long as you are hitting your numbers.

I agree. What you eat matters a lot more than when you eat it. :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If eating right before bed makes it harder to sleep, then stop eating a few hours before bed.

If it doesn't.... there's no time limit.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Personally, I worry less about the timing of it and more about how quickly the food I just ate will be absorbed (i.e. is it high or low glycemic index, does it have very much fiber, was there a lot of protein, etc) as well as making sure I use some of it before I sleep. I usually try to make the last meal of the day less calorie dense and more high protein/fiber, and I try to get out and have a walk before I go to bed. I pay particular attention to this because my biggest food vice is having super-sweet foods right before bed or even in bed, and of course that's a bad idea no matter how you slice it. It definitely seems to help.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I work two jobs, sometimes three, in one day and I usually don't get to eat dinner until 9 at night. I honestly believe it is exactly what the above poster said, the numbers are what matter most. On those days, I try to eat a bigger breakfast and lunch, as well as good filling snacks like veggies so I am not starved when I do get to eat dinner. Hope that helps!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I like eating my last snack around 9 or 10. I usually do the usual Greek yogurt or cottage cheese (*yawn*). Lots of protein and a little carbs help my body make necessary repairs during the night and keeps my metabolism up.
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    after watching some jilian michaels vids on youtube, you're supposed to eat most of your carbs during the day so they don't sit and produce sugar at night.... but if you have no problem with sugars, then just do what works for you (half my family is diabetic so I have to watch my sugars so I dont get it)
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Personally I so value timing...I think the rule does apply for the 3hr before you go to sleep...But with me I get up so early...and burn alot of calories from those early morning workouts..I have an on going eating thing all day...I have all meals completed regardless by 630p.m. and nothing else..Most time i am in bed by no later than 1030 and trust me I am not close to hungry...most time I have to force myself to eat...But do what works for you...Its all about trial and error with your OWN body...Good luck..
  • ai965
    ai965 Posts: 118
    Options
    A personal rule is that all food counts for the day between last midnight and this one. Usually I end up doing a little Wii games late at night now, but I've had anything from tortillas to fruit to ham late at night before with no trouble, sleep wise. It's too early to see the effect in my weight loss.
  • LadyByrd77
    LadyByrd77 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone definitely a good idea to think more about what I'm eating then what time I'm eating.