Sugar free or regular creamer

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Regular creamer if you have the calories, sugar-free if you don't.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I always choose "real" food over chemicals. When I read the ingredients of creamer or fat free the choice is obvious. Real cream is real food, fat free ingredient list contains many things I can't even pronounce and are not on the food guide.

What's the food guide?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm not actually totally sure what creamer is. Fake milk? I'd just use milk, and in a choice between sugar or sweetener I'd choose sugar every time. But that may be because I am fussy and stubborn. I don't think either choice is going to have much effect on weight loss.

Don't overthink it, just drink your coffee already.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    I am drinking DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE!!!!

Which we have been consuming without ill effects since the dawn of humankind.

Not true

Well technically. It is virtually harmless when consumed but almost always fatal when inhaled.

As for the OP question.

The one you like best in amounts that work with your calorie goal. I like my full fat, high fructose corn syrup laden Coffee Mate or generic equivalent. But I drink a lot less coffee these days.

• canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stay away from anything that says "sugar free", "fat free", "diet"...a lot of the time, they hike up the sodium to replace whatever it is they are taking out.

I have learned when packages says "sugar free", more times than not, they are replacing the sugar with sucralose, aspartame and other nasty stuff like that. I use to be a Splenda freak. I got migraines ALL the time. My doctor and I got together and he made me write down EVERYTHING I ate/drank (in the days before I started MFP). I suggested I cut down on dairy (lactose intolerance) and cut out Splenda. Lo and behold, the migraines decreased significantly.

My husband reads labels now too so if there is sucralose or anything of the like in a product, he won't buy it.

This works for us. We have become regular label readers because if I do have that artificial stuff, I know a headache is coming to get me and it's not worth the pain.

I hope you find something that works for you :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the worst part of coffee "creamers" (I'm assuming you aren't talking about actual cream because that's sugar free to begin with) is the hydrogenated oils. Sugar free or not, the flavored creamers all have hydrogenated oil as their main ingredient. I'm not sure about the fat free ones (yuck... I've never even bothered looking at them, lol). As I said, I just use half and half or heavy cream; very little to no sugar, and no trans fats.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have been slowly weaning myself from sugary creamer. I used to use maybe 6 tbsp of the super sweet stuff, plus sugar (ugh). Then I did 2 servings + 2 of half and half. Now I am down to 1 tbsp of Baileys Irish Cream original (25 cal, 5 g sugar), no additional sugar, and 25 ml of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. This both reduces excess calories and coffee consumption bc it tastes fine but it's no longer a dessert :)
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stay away from anything that says "sugar free", "fat free", "diet"...a lot of the time, they hike up the sodium to replace whatever it is they are taking out.

I have learned when packages says "sugar free", more times than not, they are replacing the sugar with sucralose, aspartame and other nasty stuff like that. I use to be a Splenda freak. I got migraines ALL the time. My doctor and I got together and he made me write down EVERYTHING I ate/drank (in the days before I started MFP). I suggested I cut down on dairy (lactose intolerance) and cut out Splenda. Lo and behold, the migraines decreased significantly :)

I have found something similar for myself--I had constant gallbladder pain, but nothing definitive on scans. Hubs (GI) suggested cutting out my diet Snapple habit. Now almost no pain. I had a few of those fizzy "Ice" diet drinks...immediate pain. Oh well, water for me!
  • cscunningham1987
    cscunningham1987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of splenda, aspartame, and low cal sweeteners so I don't buy no sugar anything really. Also I love my regular coffee creamer and coffee too much so I budget for my calorie intake.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Honestly, the worst part of coffee "creamers" (I'm assuming you aren't talking about actual cream because that's sugar free to begin with) is the hydrogenated oils. Sugar free or not, the flavored creamers all have hydrogenated oil as their main ingredient. I'm not sure about the fat free ones (yuck... I've never even bothered looking at them, lol). As I said, I just use half and half or heavy cream; very little to no sugar, and no trans fats.

Naturals creamer does not. It's delicious
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    brwelch1 wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Naturals creamer does not. It's delicious

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Coffee mate natural bliss is one I tried before (when I was still using the creamers). It's just milk and heavy cream (so basically half and half) with added sugar and flavorings. Not too bad. Personally I'd rather pay less (the natural creamers are even more expensive than the regular ones, and the regular ones are already quite a bit more than half and half) and get the plain old half and half, and then add sugar (or not - I don't put sugar in my coffee these days, but my husband still does) and/or flavorings to my own taste. But at least if you get the natural "creamers" you're avoiding some of the crappy ingredients, even if you are paying an arm and a leg for churched up half and half.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why not just plain normal milk?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I use regular half and half. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners and most of them give me a headache. Sugar just has 15 calories per teaspoon so I use real sugar in my coffee too. I put 2 tablespoons half and half and 2 teaspoons sugar and that is 70 calories. I fit 2 in person day. I don't know that artificial sweeteners are bad, but to me they don't taste good answer I will always pick real sugar.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    Is it better to have sugar free creamer than regular creamer? I hear such contradicting stories that sugar free is bad for you, and that real sugar is actually better. Any suggestions?

I use the full fat, full sugar, artificially flavored coffee creamers and haven't sprouted gills yet. If they make you feel bad, don't fit in your goals, trigger migraines or other issues, then consider swapping to something else. But for most of us it's just personal preference and finding our own dietary balance.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I quit using creamer altogether because my youngest son won't stop drinking it straight from the bottle. It's too expensive for that! Now I use 3tbsp of 2% milk and 1tbsp of regular sugar. The advantage is that I don't care if he drinks the milk, and I can hide the sugar in my bedroom. :tongue: Still tastes good, and only 68 calories per cup. :smile:
  • pluthera
    pluthera Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used French vanilla, 1 tbsp for 30 calories worth it for me :)
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Everything made of chemicals

He is right, I eat very little sugar and still opt for sugar free. The less times I cause my liver to work hard to balance the sugar in my blood the more it can pay attention to breaking down fats to produce the energy my body needs rather than storing fat.

I take 3 TB daily in my large coffee mug of sugar free creamer.
    I like to listen to my body, if I feel odd or a way I am not happy with after I eat something I stop eating it.
  • MrsPadrona
    MrsPadrona Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In the end, if they are taking something out ... they increase or add something else to make up for the taste. Fat free usually means high in sodium. Sugar free usually means higher fat
    What are you trying to accomplish and does the increase in something else balance out with your nutritional goals?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    All other arguments for or against aside, I like my coffee. I like my coffee creamy and sweet, and I do not like the taste of aspartame or stevia. I use the International Delight creamer for 'everyday' and have my coffee with real cream and raw sugar on the weekends. For me, too, that little bit of sugar in the morning cuts the cravings for the rest of the day-I'm far less likely to crave sugar later on. Also, life is too short to try to force myself to drink something that tastes nasty just in the name of health- when it comes to that, I'll give up coffee entirely and switch to tea.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've never noticed fat free meaning extra salt, it usually means extra sugar.

By the way, what is it with everyone saying "sodium" all the time instead of salt? It's like saying "I'm not eating that, it's too high in lipids" or "I prefer to reduce my sucrose".

"Take 2 avian ovulations and their weight in finely granulated sucrose, bovine mammary lipids and pulverised wheat starch, a pinch of sodium chloride and half a teaspoon of tincture of vanilla planiflora...

Why can't we just use normal language?