What are your thoughts on what I ate today?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    LaDiiHeArT wrote: »
    Hey you guys, for dinner I had a black beans burger with sweet potato fries and side salad. I'll post what I'm having today, feel free to do the same :)

Still a very low protein and fat dinner (unless your fries had a lot of oil on them I guess).

How much protein do you get a day? Why are you trying to avoid dairy and meat?
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    More protein from beans, lentils and soy could improve the diet. And fats from any of your favourite oils. Olive oil, coconut oil etc.

It looks awful to me, as a non-vegan, but I'm starting to get why people go vegan for moral reasons, so more power to you :)
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Quinoa seems a little iffy, not even sure that's a word.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    quinoa, chickpeas, beans, avocado, spinach, sweet potato, oats all look good.
    Try some tofu or tempeh perhaps? I get a sesame and sunflower seed smoked tofu which is nice
    Lots of good suggestions above also, like nuts, oils, roasted veg, hummus
    Good luck
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP, to give you an idea of what a higher fat and protein day might look like, here is what I am eating today. Note: I am not trying to lose weight right now, I'm maintaining.

Breakfast: Yam and black bean soup topped with "cheese" made from nutritional yeast and walnuts.

Snack: Cold-brew coffee with protein powder and coconut almond milk

Lunch: Vegetable and red lentil soup, tofu bacon

Dinner: Spicy garlic kale, spinach artichoke casserole (sauce is silken tofu, spinach, and artichokes, mixed with cooked macaroni, and then baked).

This is about 1,400 calories worth of food and I will probably have a glass of wine with dinner or add some extra coconut oil to my kale when I saute it -- depending on what sounds better at dinner time -- because I will have some extra calories from exercise. As it is, this will be almost 100 grams of protein. My main sources for the day will be the spinach artichoke casserole (the tofu, vegetables, and pasta all have protein), my protein powder, and the red lentil soup -- but each meal has a pretty good source of protein.
  • jwhittyworth
    jwhittyworth Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You should cut out a little bit of the fruits and substitute them with veges, you're getting a lot of sugar from those fruits.

Also, incorporate some nuts. My favorites are brazil, almond, and pistachio. Only issue is making sure you eat few enough to not stack the calories! I eat 5, 12, 20, respectively, every day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Like others have said, there's not a lot of protein and fat in the meals you posted, and adding in a black bean burger is probably not going to give you as much protein as you need in a day. Some things you might try to get more protein and fat:

- Using soy milk and soy yogurt in your smoothies and oatmeal, or another non-dairy milk/yogurt with more protein, instead of coconut milk
    - Adding plant-based protein powder or silken tofu to your smoothies
    - Adding tofu, tempeh, or seitan to your quinoa bowl, and maybe top it with nuts or seeds
    - Dressing your salad with a bit of olive oil, or sauteing your veggies in olive oil
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How about adding some eggs or a plant based protein shake in there?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »

The OP said she's going vegan, so eggs are out of the question.

I agree with everyone on adding protein/fat. Nuts will help.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    add nuts and lentils and other PROTEIN!
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Enjcg5 wrote: »

The OP said she's going vegan, so eggs are out of the question.

I agree with everyone on adding protein/fat. Nuts will help.
    My bad. I was thinking "vegetarian" not vegan.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Honestly my only thing with your day is it seems -too- healthy. Sure, it's great, but how long will it last? The key with dietary changes are that it's sustainable. Dot be afraid to throw some chips and breads in there (breads are surprisingly good sources of protein). You only need about 45-55g protein a day so you're not that far off it seems. Lots of veggies are just PACKED with protein- the only thing is eating enough to make them add up. You seemed to be on track with the first macros you posted- if you at 1500 calories instead of 900 but with the same foods it looked like you would meet your needs. I don't know how long you've been vegan, but if this is a new thing, don't worry about going a little under on your nutrients. A few bad days won't hurt you. But just make sure it's sustainable. Remember those breads and chips (usually vegan) if you're craving them.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comment, I'm going to swap out the fruit bowl and use those calories to a fat/protein filled dinner. I'll be sure to update you guys with what I make. Any non-meat/dairy suggestions for tomorrow?

Off the top of my head, here are some of my current favorite foods: cashew milk ice cream (So Delicious makes a good one), hummus, gaucamole, kimchi (you'll want to check the ingredients, some has fish sauce), roasted beets, roasted red bell peppers (delicious on a sandwich with portobello mushrooms), blackberries, cold brew coffee with vanilla protein powder and coconut milk/coconut creamer, rice noodles with peanut sauce, tempeh bacon, spring rolls, wok-seared sugar snap peas with soy sauce and sesame oil, black bean chili, fresh corn, and tofu scramble.
    Thanks everyone for your comment, I'm going to swap out the fruit bowl and use those calories to a fat/protein filled dinner. I'll be sure to update you guys with what I make. Any non-meat/dairy suggestions for tomorrow?

Off the top of my head, here are some of my current favorite foods: cashew milk ice cream (So Delicious makes a good one), hummus, gaucamole, kimchi (you'll want to check the ingredients, some has fish sauce), roasted beets, roasted red bell peppers (delicious on a sandwich with portobello mushrooms), blackberries, cold brew coffee with vanilla protein powder and coconut milk/coconut creamer, rice noodles with peanut sauce, tempeh bacon, spring rolls, wok-seared sugar snap peas with soy sauce and sesame oil, black bean chili, fresh corn, and tofu scramble.

Please tell me more about tempeh bacon. I've tried to find a good recipe for something like this, but haven't come across one. Or.. Is this something you can find in a store?
  • RitchieB2709
    RitchieB2709 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The very first reply has it in a nutshell.. weigh and log everything and find out what you should be eating calorie and macronutrient wise and direct compare to that... to me it looks carb heavy and too low in fat and protein
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    alyssagb1 wrote: »

Please tell me more about tempeh bacon. I've tried to find a good recipe for something like this, but haven't come across one. Or.. Is this something you can find in a store?

You can buy it in the store, but I also find it really easy to make. There are tons of recipes out there, I like the one by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This one I just found online is similiar to it: http://simpleveganblog.com/tempeh-bacon/ except I would skip the cumin and add a tablespoon of tomato paste to the marinade. I would use maple syrup instead of the agave too because I like maple in my bacon. You can't really mess it up -- don't be afraid to play with the flavors. It's great on sandwiches.
  • LaDiiHeArT
    LaDiiHeArT Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I was kind of winging it the first day and the second day it was a bit better. Here's what I had yesterday.

Green Juice
    Spinach, celery, kale, green apple, pineapple, with hemp seeds.

Sliced Mango sprinkled with Chia seeds.

Lunch
    Two slices of 15 grain slice bread toasted with avocado smash, cherry tomatoes, with lemon juice. Side salad with half kale, half spinach, walnut, tomatoes, quinoa, cucumbers, onion, sprinkled with hemp seeds.

Snack
    Baby carrots, cucumber, and green peppers with hummus.

Dinner
    Black bean burger, topped with two slices of avocado, sliced onions, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and organic vegan ketchup roasted sweet potato and a kale, onion, walnut, grape tomatoes, salad dressed with lemon juice.

I'm still getting around this new Vegan lifestyle, my first day was pretty low, but as the days go on I'm getting better at getting my meals together. I'll prep a lot better this weekend. I've been way too busy with my daughter and work that I haven't been on top of it, but I have been trying.

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    alyssagb1 wrote: »

You can buy it in the store, but I also find it really easy to make. There are tons of recipes out there, I like the one by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This one I just found online is similiar to it: http://simpleveganblog.com/tempeh-bacon/ except I would skip the cumin and add a tablespoon of tomato paste to the marinade. I would use maple syrup instead of the agave too because I like maple in my bacon. You can't really mess it up -- don't be afraid to play with the flavors. It's great on sandwiches.

Thank you! I Will be trying this out today, the maple syrup is a great idea.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I use maple syrup, a few drops of "Liquid Smoke", and some oil. Just marinade over night if I have time. It's the best, imo.
  • NorthRiver
    NorthRiver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Dinner: Spicy garlic kale, spinach artichoke casserole (sauce is silken tofu, spinach, and artichokes, mixed with cooked macaroni, and then baked).

What vegan macaroni are you using? I've found that a lot of vegans or non-egg-eating vegetarians didn't know most pasta contains eggs. But I don't know any brands or products to recommend to them ...