WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hey Frieda! Welcome! here. I have a beautiful daughter but she was running a half-marathon, not going to a prom. I'm flying today but will try to post a pic when I land.
    /Penny going far from the North Pole
  • Lagopus
    Options
    Hey Frieda! Welcome! here. I have a beautiful daughter but she was running a half-marathon, not going to a prom. I'm flying today but will try to post a pic when I land.
    /Penny going far from the North Pole
  • Lagopus
    Options
    Ooops! Double post. Darn phone.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Friedasmith & Vickey from PA: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I think your DH is very lucky to have you as a life partner. Knowing when to help and when to stand by is a skill that many of us only wish for. :star:

janetr: Congratulations on an amazing and positive experience with the dentist. It sounds like things went very well. :bigsmile:

Pip: You can send me as many extra pounds as you like, provided they're pounds sterling, and not pounds of fat. I'd love to know how to access all those symbols so I can use them, too. :devil:

JennifrClaire: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Sue: Salt will kill slugs, but it is painful and horrible for them. Wood ashes in rings around your plants will keep them out but have to be replenished after rain. We put slug bait in cans with access holes cut into them. The slugs crawled in and never came out. The advantage is that none of the poisons went into the environment where they could do harm to unintended victims. Good luck. :ohwell:

Cheri: I love the Under the Sea crochet project. :bigsmile:

DS & DDIL placed a Skype call to us via the net today & we had a discussion about us coming to visit them in July. I hope we get it all put together for a time when our son will be at home and not away on assignment. For our part, we need to arrange a place for our dog to stay while we're gone. I think we may work on that tomorrow. Then we have to plan and organize flights. DH wants to take a mobility device along and that means buying one or finding a place to rent one. Yesterday we went to a store that sells them and learned quite a bit. Does anyone have experience renting mobility devices during travel?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, we have rented a mobility scooter for me for years. We have a local place Freedom medical that will rent by the day, 3 days, 1 week or a month. When we went to Disney and had our AAA agent work out all the details, she rented through some where in Orlando and it was delivered straight to our hotel. All we had to do was leave it there when we were done and the rental place picked it up. Also these rental scooters are super easy to take apart and put in the back of the car. I wouldn't buy one unless he feels like this is going to be a long time need. Also if you buy one, would his doctor be able to write a prescription and insurance help. When I was first diagnosed, we rented a manual wheel chair. After the second time our insurance just bought it for me.

I would just love to grab those chocolate things right out of cyber land and eat them. You ladies are cruel to us chocolataholics!

Tomorrow is Charlie's appointment with his surgeon. I hope this is the time when he says for me to hand the keys over to him. I am getting tired of driving him around and having him 'critique' me all the time. I know the parking spaces he will not put his cars in and so I just pass them by. Tonight he asks me why I passed it by. So he wants me to then back into this space. No way Jose'. I am so ready to give these keys to him. Plus it makes me cut short activities I am doing. Don't take me wrong. I have not regreted being his driver. I love him and as his wife I feel i need to drive him. But it is a challenge.

Some one was talking about what they would order when they are out. The other night when we were at Bob Evans, this old man close to us just wanted a cheeseburger, no special bun, nothing fancy on it and the waitress was kind of insisting what was available on the cheeseburger selections. I really felt like I should go over and tell him that he could special order anything but I didn't. Our family for some reason really loves to go to Cheddars for our special meals. I get an appetizer of the chicken tenders. But what is advertized is the heavily breaded and deep fried and they come with french fries. Some waitresses will tell me what they come with but I then just gently tell them what I am ordering. It is a chore to sometimes get steamed broccoli with no butter though.

Nitey nite, Joyce, Indiana
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thanks for the suggestion of the Instant Pot Duo - developed in Canada and I'd not heard of it before. Looks like something I'd love. Think I'll put it on my Xmas list :)

NYKaren: Good work with those emoticons :)

Katla: I hope I can get back on track but it is really tough in the summer as I do a lot of travelling to rural Alberta to put in a garden and stroll in my orchard not to mention visit my parents. Unfortunately that makes my weekends pretty hectic too. So sorry to hear about your DD's brother-in-law..my condolences.

Margaret: Your fairy garden is wonderful, what a great idea of putting those items into it and being able to reinforce so many great memories!

Re: Thanks for the tips. I do have some crockpot recipes that I've used in the past and frozen but they seem to be mostly soups and/or stews which don't seem to turn my crank in the summer. Do you have any recipes that you would like to share that aren't too spicy?

Lenora: Congrats on the loss of the lb!

I've recently found a new use for Dawn dishwasher detergent. It is my spot remover on clothing. I appear to have a hole in my chin, because regardless of what I eat it seems to end up on my shelf...and yes I have a fairly protruding shelf. At any rate the number of shirts and blouses with stains is huge and I haven't been successful at removing them until now. I use.. you guessed it Dawn dishwashing detergent on the stain, rub it in with an old toothbrush and throw it in the wash with regular detergent. The stains even old ones that have been washed multiple times are removed. Yay Dawn!

Nighty nite all

Carey N Alberta
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    Options
    Carey - I too am a dribbler. I don't have a big shelf, but I do catch a lot. I ALWAYS use a napkin (paper) or kitchen towel, often tucked into my neck. :laugh: Even in a restaurant I tuck the linen ones into my neck. I say it is "Italian style". !!!!!!!!!!!
    For the stains that do get by me I use a spray stain remover before washing.
    Do you like fish? Fish fillets like sea bass are great frozen and can be cooked, pan fried in a tiny bit of oil, from frozen in no time. Ours come in pairs from the supermarket, so you would have to separate them into singles before freezing.

Love Heather UK
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Joyce Sorry! You are the last person I would want to be cruel too. t23165.gif So skip this part where I post the recipe for Mary and Michele:

It's reminiscent of a dump cake because of only 3 ingredients but requires you to cook pudding which of course the dump cakes do not.

Chocolate Cake (Not)
    Preheat oven to 350
    Grease & flour a 9x13 pan or 24 muffin cups (cupcake liners easiest and you could line the bottom of the 9x13 pan with parchment paper which would help if you want to turn the whole thing out)
    One box of chocolate cake mix
    One large (5oz) box of cook type chocolate pudding
    3 cups whole milk (if you really want to be decadent use 1/2 & 1/2)
    One 12 oz bag of chocolate chips, reserve 1/2 cup (you could use more chocolate chips if you wanted to)

Cook the pudding with 3 cups whole milk
    Remove from heat, stir in one (or more) cup(s) chocolate chips
    Let it cool for about 15 minutes covered so it doesn't form a skin
    Stir in the cake mix
    Pour into pan or spoon into muffin cups
    Sprinkle reserved chocolate chips on top
    Bake for 15-20 minutes. Don't overbake.
    Let cool and cut into squares (if 9x13) or just serve hot and gooey with ice cream and watch them disappear

You can use any chocolate cake mix, chocolate or fudge pudding mix, any chocolate chips. I was thinking yesterday at the store that for my not-so-fond-of-chocolate family members, I could use orange or white or yellow cake mix, any other pudding like lemon, pistachio, or vanilla, and white or butterscotch chocolate chips. I thought yellow/vanilla/butterscotch or yellow/lemon/white or white/pistachio/white would be good combos. And orange/vanilla/white would be like dreamsicle.

OK, Joyce, you can come back now. :)

OMG Heather & Carey I even have an adult bib I got at a craft fair. I, too, use Dawn dishwashing liquid on my grease dribbles. LOL! And I am with Carey. I was very intrigued by the PotDuo which you can even use to make your own yogurt. It may make its way on to my Christmas list as well. It doesn't go along with my pup tent plan, but perhaps I could get rid of two or three larger appliances before Christmas to justify it.

Joyce Give him a kiss and hand him the keys. "Will you please drive me, kind sir?" I am sure your instincts are spot on as to whether he is ready to drive or not. And good luck with the doctor's appointment. I bet you didn't take my advice to put a zoysia plug in that hole in his belly. :) Your husband's help with your driving reminds me of a friend of mine who is such a control freak from the passenger side of the car. She feels it is her duty to tell me where to park, which makes me laugh hysterically and pass by the spot. When I needed the right rear view mirror adjusted back in the day when that had to be done manually, she adjusted it so she could see properly. I laughed my *kitten* off and gave her unmitigated hell. She is a good friend, so she just laughed at herself when she realized her folly.

Debbie in TX I can relate to taking or buying your own food. One of the ways I find to "blend in" is to keep leaf lettuce on hand to substitute for bread. I can use them for breakfast burritos, hamburger "buns", wrap sandwiches, etc. That way I can eat a lot of the same foods everyone else is having. Plus it's easy for me to just scramble a couple of eggs in the morning, and often I find that other people prefer eggs, too, so I buy plenty to share as part of my contribution. My grandson is a hard-boiled egg freak and will choose that over a bag of Doritos (not my granddaughter, though). Lake LBJ sound wonderful; that is a large group you are going with! Have so much fun! I am going to look up your lake as soon as I post this so I can see where you will be.

Lenora I am not weighing at home either as I get obsessed with the scale and forget to notice my clothes getting looser and my stomach getting flatter. It also makes me impatient with the process and more self-critical when I don't need to be. I am weighing every 6 weeks at my doctor's office. Maybe later I will weigh at home. Way to go losing another lb! One at a time, just the way we put them on!

Hi Frieda! I am doing keto mostly, too, although I probably dip in & out and don't sustain it especially at my evening meal. Janetr it's just a low carb diet which causes your body & brain to burn fat & ketones for fuel instead of carbs & glycogen. It works well for lots of people but particularly insulin resistant people (prediabetics and people with type 2 diabetes, women with PCOS, metabolic syndrome, etc). I keep net carbs around 45-50 most days.

Becca Hope hubby is still doing OK.
    Barbie Ditto, know his back is dreadful.

Penny & Heather & anyone else who have been up for hours Good Morning!

Karen in Virginia going to Jazzercise today k5437.gif
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Press day!
    Lisa in W Texas :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    Options
    Karen - I used to love Jazzercise when I was younger. I did all kinds of dancing, including Modern Creative Dance. My dodgy knee put paid to that. :'(
    I have been working on strengthening my knee for a couple of years. It will never be proper dance fit again, but one of the joys of the cruise was doing some ballroom dancing, including the rumba, with the "gentlemen hosts" and strutting my stuff, quite energetically, with my DH. The next mornings I knew my knee was there, but it survived! :D:D

My son, that I bought the Instant Pot Duo for, has used the pressure cooking facility a lot. I envisioned it more as a slow cooker. I liked the fact that it keeps food hot for many hours after cooking and can even switch off later, so you are not time dependent. Technology, eh? !!!
    I can't really justify getting myself one as I am home so much, but I almost ruined my yogurt last night by leaving the oven on at 50° when I meant to turn it off after a minute. Oooops! Luckily I had some more culture available to add once it cooled down. I don't think I can justify such an expensive yoghurt maker though. :laugh: These days I have to put the timer on for everything, even for one minute, or I just forget.

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Yikes did I not sleep well last night, slept from 7:30-10:30 and then I was awake until like 1 tossing and turning..
    having a cup of tea and have a load of laundry in, don't work until 10:30 this morning,but have to take Homer to vet at 9, he needs pre op bloodwork as he will need a couple of more teeth extracted.. poor baby..
    I have to work the afternoon and all day Friday with Dr Sortito, I did speak yesterday with my boss Dr Ho owner of the practice.. I just stated that Dr Sortito has an issue with me, and has repremanded me in front of patients,and that I try very hard to do what is asked of me and to focus,but the more upset he gets, the more anxious I get and that is where mistakes are made..
    He is getting nastier by the day .. and even though it is just me ,he is getting snarky with just about everyone... I think it will blow up in his face.. I have said my peace, and we shall see how the rest of the week goes.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

katla = nothing fancy, just symbols on the keyboard.

yesterday, kirby reminded me that our wedding anniversary was coming up. today is the day, 6/22/02 14 yrs of wedded bliss! hard to believe. i hold the day we met as our anniversary, today was just a formality... that was on 9/16/96. can't believe it, no more marriages for me.. stopped at #4!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Heather What!?!? about your knee? because you wore out your husband and the dance professionals dancing r1004.gif on your Norway cruise...lots of women do low impact in my Jazzercise class and modify the steps for their bum knees. We have women from 33 to 87 yrs old, and one man, in our class.

I think you should just put the PotDuo on your Christmas or Holiday list like the rest of us. I would really like to make yogurt at home again as I used to. And I hate modern crockpots as they all get too hot. I have a very old one that was manufactured prior to the current temperature standards ruined crockpots. I do have a warming drawer I could do the yogurt in.

Pip Happy, happy anniversary! 4th time's a charm! k5404.gif

Allie Ugh, I hate how I feel when I don't sleep well, sorry you tossed & turned.

Homer. I love that name. He is going to his "dentist" today, hope he recovers well.

I am so glad you spoke with Dr. Ho, now as you said, you sit back and watch Dr. Nasty implode. You are taking good care of yourself, girl!

Lisa Yay! Press day! t2779.gif

I lived in a small town and was friends with the editor of our newspaper & his family, they won many awards and 4 of their children went on to be editors of small town newspapers. Loved watching the buildup each week, the excitement & deadlines, & the one day of downtime before it all started again. It was like watching ballet.

I screwed up yesterday because I forgot I had to go to work. This, despite having made a mental note not to f**k this up due to trading a shift with someone who needed to be off. Ooooh! it does make me so mad when I do stuff like that...I was 20 minutes late...but it amazingly turned out to be one the best days I have ever had at work. We had someone so happy that he sent in Krispy Kreme for the staff! It was very nice, I sent him a thank you note & the staff love the donuts. I stayed away from them.

Taking care of grandkids tomorrow & Friday, then going to estate attorney on Friday. Working Saturday. Jazzercise this morning.

Have the best day, everyone!

Karen in Virginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    Katla: Love the quotes!

Just finished making lists of things to do/pack for our family week at Lake LBJ in central TX. There will be about 25 in an 8 bedroom house right on the lake. We take turns cooking evening meals. The plan is for cereal/sandwiches for other meals. Since I choose not to eat those foods, I will be taking my own food. Since there is such a wide range of ages, many snacks will not be healthy. I will have my fruit/nuts and am determined to eat healthy. Will make a fruit smoothie or eat a small piece of dark chocolate if necessary.
    At least I can get a couple of swim sessions in everyday.
    Am looking forward to spending time with my family. We all play board games and get along well.

Congrats to all who are celebrating victories, large or small. Prayers to all.

Thanks for all the fun/informative posts. You really do encourage me everyday.

Debbie in TX

:)Strategy is stronger than willpower.
    Debbie, you have a great strategy for enjoying your family week while not letting it be an excuse to abandon all the good you've done so far. You are an inspiration.

<3 Barbie
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary PIP and Kirby!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options

Karen in Virginia going to Jazzercise today k5437.gif
    I went to Jazzercise five days a week in the 1980's just before I met my husband....I loved it. There is a place near me with Jazzercise classes and I think about going back and then I remember that my fondest recollections of the class were dancing to 80's music ("Material Girl", "Jump", "YMCA)---so I stay contented with line dance which has been my passion for over eleven years.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • freidaws
    freidaws Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I look forward to reading what everyone's up to. I'M on the train headed for involuntary servitude, er work, I mean and everyone looks like they're sucking on a pickle. I think it's the heat. Not even 7:30am and it's 81 with 74% humidity, which makes it sticky. Got a feeling Texas is going to be hot this summer. Have a wonderful day!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    morning again ladies~
    laundry done, shower done, and I made the cookie dough for my dads cookies..
    my grandma used to make these for him and they are a favorite of his.. they are called rolled nut cookies.. these were made waaaaaayyyy before slice and bake,but this is what they are you make the dough ,flavoring of,cloves and cinnamon and chopped nuts, roll it up into wax paper and refrigerate for 12 hrs or so.. then slice thinly and bake until crisp.. I made them for him for christmas and bagged in sandwich bags and then in gallon zip lock , so they can stay in the freezer, and take out a small bag at a time...
    with this batch I will hold of a small bag and tuck in my purse to take with us on the trip
    having a cup of peppermint tea..
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good Morning... I'm Melanie from Baton Rouge....just joined the other day. Am so enjoying reading the comments, and the pictures! Love the animation the most!!!! You all seem like a wonderful, cohesive group of girls! Thanks for allowing me in. Have a wonderful Wednesday!!!

Melanie in Baton Rouge
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Karen VA-thanks for the recipe! I like the other options as well. Do they have an orange pudding or cake mix? I have never seen one or could you use a Jell-O?

<3

Mary from Minnesota