WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
8rd2sg4sqorz.jpg1q5s9vy8lcu1.jpg

Welcome to a wonderful supportive community of women. The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

Some of us have been posting on this thread for awhile and others are new.

Please join us on the journey to health, weight loss, and fitness.

If you made any goals or resolutions for May, how did you do?

If you have made any goals or resolutions for June, please share them with us.

Don't forget to click on the star outline at the top to bookmark this thread so you can find us again.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

Resolutions for May (with end of the month comments)
*weight training twice a week (great at the beginning of the month, not so good at the end)
*30+ minutes of garden puttering three days a week (great)
*daily meditation--gradually increasing time (great---up to nine minutes)
*continue sorting and discarding photos (almost daily with great progress up to 1964)

June Resolutions will be the same as May

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC Sorry, I should have been more specific. Camellia sasanqua varieties - usually 2-5' high. Evergreen with beautiful glossy leaves, real show stoppers. But there are so many nice choices that would fit your needs, I am sure you will figure it out! Just trying to help.

Karen in Virginia
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's practically June. I mean, it IS June in Europe and Asia. What?

My May goals were:
    1. "keep logging everything"
      --done, all but one day. Went to a thing, ate some stuff...stuck to my rough guidelines, but didn't log.
    2. "stick to the new calorie counts"
      --done, all but two days, and at least I logged the extra those days.
    3. "warm up my wonky hip on an exercise bike every morning"
      --every morning didn't happen, but 5~6 times a week did, and it did help.
    4. "I'm working on a schedule for my swim classes, PT, lifting, and core work...it will come out to a good six days a week with both a more-strenuous workout (lifting, swimming) and a less-strenuous activity (walking, core work, stretching) ...the goal will be not to stick to it rigidly so much as test it and see how I feel, and adjust it and my calorie counts, so I can balance losing fat, gaining strength and function, and maintaining endocrine health."
      --I experimented a lot. I swam five days in a row, twice, I lifted and swam on the same day, twice, I lay in bed all day, twice...I was all over the map. Not sure what I learned. Oh well.
    5. "And I really wanna figure out how to raise an extra $500 for a kayaking class"
      --still workin on it. Job interviews have gone well, although I don't have a new full-time job yet, just another source for contract work (which is more than nothing!)

Not on the list, I increased my swimming endurance significantly, in May, and, after losing 25-ish pounds from mid-Feb to late April, I only lost two pounds in May, and I haven't let that derail me.

June goals:
    1. Keep logging.
    2. Intermittent fasting. Lower calories on non-lifting days (~700), higher calories on lifting days (~1500). If I end up lying in bed one day, I'll fast the whole day. If I'm really hungry one day, I'll have an extra protein shake. No extra anything else.
    3. Aiming for 5 swims a week and three lifting days. Also joined a "walk at least 10 minutes a day" challenge, a plank challenge, and a wall squat challenge.
    4. I will continue to thoroughly enjoy a small gelato at the shop around the corner from my gym, after my heaviest weight-lifting day, up to once a week. I will not bring pints of ice cream home. I'm not really saving money if I end up eating the whole thing!
    5. Get a job. a good one. 'nuff said.

Good luck, Ladies! Go us! :smiley:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello June! Well in 2 and 1/2 hours. Hopefully I am in slumberland when June comes. Any June brides in here????

I watched Wheel of Fortune then went to the store. Schnucks is a little closer than Walmart so I went there. It is also a lot less crowded. But I didn't realize that they have even less check outs open and they don't have self serve. So I don't know if I did myself a favor or not. I just hope I am not cooking things that will make him sick.

One thing I am afraid of tonight is that as tired as I am I will go to bed with a lot of neuropathy pain in my feet. I don't have it now, it happens when I take my supportive shoes and socks off and put my feet in the bed.

My empty dirt garden from taking out our bushes last fall is quickly becoming quite a weed garden from all the rain. I had done so good last fall in removing every weed. But with the spring weed seeds flying all over the place, they all found my dirt. I am trying to visualize it with all the wonderful things you guys are putting Michele's yard but it still looks like weeds to me. I then always remember Barbie's 'don't let the perfect be the enemy of good. But this is far from perfect or good. Maybe to the god of weeds it is but not to me.

Joyce, Indiana See you next month.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Well let's see how many miles I ride in the month of June, this will include the the spin. My goal I gave was 400mi
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Joyce throw some mulch down on that dirt. Should slow down your weeds. And don't you have enough going on to even think about weeds!

Happy June ladies. I am closing in on a goal. Most happy to see my BP is stable. Pleased that I have more energy and strength to enjoy my daughters graduation at the end of the
    Month which drove me to join MFP in the first place!
    Just gonna celebrate the month with eating well, Gardening and walking. Oh yeah I will keep shoulders down, head tall and breathe. Karen from NY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thank you so much for setting up the new thread for June. :heart: :star::heart:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,086 Member
    Options
    <3<3o:)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    oooops (((((((((hugs ya all...group hug)))))))))
    dashing out...............................
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    We're supposed to be getting the door to our glassed-in porch within the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to do that; then I can keep the door open to the rest of the house and go out there whenever I chose. Got to get security company to come put a chip on it to the panel box. That way, someone would have to break through 2 doors to get inside the house. Looking forward to fixing it up with some insulation and bead board on the walls and some shelves to add some plants, my collection of flamingos, and my art books out there. Have about decided to get some sheers to put up and keep pushed back in the corners, so if it gets too hot out there (facing west) I can cut some of the heat out with the sheers. Will get the short ones, just so they will brush the top of the shelves. Got to get DH to put 'real' wood shelves up in our MBR in the windows, so they won't sag like the ones that are made of some other type of material that swells when it gets wet. I've even bought an orchid and it is 'still' alive. Might get a couple more when I get the room finished. They aren't as hard to maintain as I thought they'd be. Lady at the store told me to put 2 ice cubes on the moss every week. I've done that and only once had to put a little more water on it. We're going to get a flat screen TV to go out there as well; and, hang it up high so it can swivel so it can been seen anywhere in the room. That way I don't have to watch the 'scary' movies that DH likes to rent. Got to watch the 'chick flick' he rented for me the other day. I just forgot to do so today. Means I will have to watch it as soon as we get home.

Lenora
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wow Lenora, you are profession DIY lady. I am impressed with all your planning! Take pictures so we can see your handy work!

We used to have a screened back porch. The previous owners had a portable Kiln out there, because she was a ceramics artist. When we moved in, we made it our sons Lego room, until the gecko lizards moved in.... Gotta love Northern California. The gecko lizards ate all the other bugs so we were happy to have them around though. Every so often the Pest Control guys would knock on our door. I would stare at them and say, " Spray THIS place? What, are you nuts! We have bugs eating other bugs like Mother Nature intended, and you want to piss everyone off!"

Becca
    Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thank you for moving us forward into yet another month. We so appreciate your help in moving us forward in so many ways.

Janetr okc
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Carey – I’m sure it is not as good of a work out as the real deal… but better than nothing!

Janetr – sending good thoughts for you and your grandson, doing the work to seek help is a huge step.

Gloworm – congrats to your son… and to you for raising his children. Later – sending good thoughts to you and your mom – I know travel is hard on a limited budget, but if you can go to see her it seems like the right choice.

Lisa – you sang the national anthem? Solo? You are more amazing everyday.

Arewethereyet – welcome back

Becca – you have every right to be mad, after all you’ve been through if the liver is failing, you can be mad at that darn liver, but also remember it has given you and DH some wonderful times. With your strength and the support of DH, DS x3 and all of us you’ll make it through this. I am sorry to hear it is at a weird hour, but glad they are fitting him in and you will be headed to an answer. Answers are better than scary stories.

Barbie – thank you for bringing us into June.

Joyce – with all that is going on you are worried about some weeds? Silly girl – get a neighbor to buy and dump some small tan bark on it, it will help with the weeds and give you time to decide what to do next…

Heather and someone eles – I get the not ideal Mom relationship- I’m in that club - but look at who we are, strong successful women with some amazing MFP friends.

Well it is late and it has been hot here, so I try to stay up late to keep all the windows open letting in the air, after I go to bed I close the doors and have locks on the windows so they are only open a few inches, but the airflow is not as great.

Night night….

Smiles.

Kim from N. California